NFL 2013

Starting a new thread for this NFL season, since the draft is 2 days away. I think this is a good point to begin the discussion for the upcoming season!

My team (Cowboys) switched to a 4-3 defense under new coordinator Monte Kiffin. Not a Kiffin Jr. fan, but hopefully the old man's got something in his tank. So the Cowboys need some d-line help for the switch, and I can see them going with someone like Sylvester Williams if he's available at #18.

What they really need (more) is some upgrade on the offensive line though, so I'd like to see them nab somebody in the first round who can help there. Their O-Line flat out stinks.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think the Jets will dump Tebow before the season starts? I'm not sure there's a trade market at all for him, nor do I think he's even a decent #2 QB - the Jets apparently agreed when they bypassed him last season for 3rd stringer McElroy.

I think Tebow's best bet is to try to switch to FB or TE or something - I don't see him ever being an NFL caliber starting QB.

Do you think the Jets will dump Tebow before the season starts? I'm not sure there's a trade market at all for him, nor do I think he's even a decent #2 QB - the Jets apparently agreed when they bypassed him last season for 3rd stringer McElroy.

I think Tebow's best bet is to try to switch to FB or TE or something - I don't see him ever being an NFL caliber starting QB.

They have to-nobody wants him, so there's no trade value I can see.

Why aren't the Browns playing on MNF?

The Browns had a decent record in 2007 and were rewarded with a chunk of prime-time games in 2008. Of course, they proceeded to have a horrible season, subjecting the nation to the misery that is known as the Factory of Sadness. Since then, the bulk of the burden has been carried only locally.

Although the distractions of the Flying J investigation and the arrest of recent acquisition Quentin Groves loom large, I'm looking forward to the draft. The Browns are a team in perennial need of wide receivers, cornerbacks and safeties, and they did not fully address those needs in free agency. I like their signing of receiver David Nelson from the Bills, but he's coming off of a torn ACL, and depth is still an issue if any starting wide receiver misses time. It's even worse in the secondary; I'm surprised that they haven't signed safety Kerry Rhodes as a temporary solution, as he played under Ray Horton in Arizona.

To make matters worse, they are also shorthanded at tight end due to losing Ben Watson. Although Watson has had some injuries, he's a solid player. The new regime seems convinced that third-year tight end Jordan Cameron is ready to step up, but he hasn't shown much in his first two years.

Not excited about the Cowboys' night. Dropped from 18 to 31 and then picked up a center (Travis Frederick) who could have been had in the 2nd or 3rd round most likely. Don't think he's necessarily a bad player, just picked way too early. Blah.

I think the Vikings did well, all things considered, ending up with 3 first round picks, all of whom should be solid contributors.

Not excited about the Cowboys' night. Dropped from 18 to 31 and then picked up a center (Travis Frederick) who could have been had in the 2nd or 3rd round most likely. Don't think he's necessarily a bad player, just picked way too early. Blah.

I think the Vikings did well, all things considered, ending up with 3 first round picks, all of whom should be solid contributors.

On top of which they didn't get much from dropping that low in the draft to pick him. Worst part beside them not picking a DL which like the Raiders they desperately needed.....like the Giants they could have taken Barrett Jones. He was probably the best lineman avialble from Alabama. He started out as a guard. Because of injuries was moved to left tackle in 2011 and won the Outland that year. Moved to center as a senior and won the Rimmington. They only player to win both at two different positions. As well 3 National Championships at three different positions and All-American at three positions. If he came out last year as a left tackle he goes in the first round. As a center/guard.....

Hell, they could have even taken Brian Schwenke if they wanted a center that bad.

As in, Jerry Jones strikes again. The difference between him and Al Davis is that at one time Al Davis knew what he was doing as de facto GM.

Worst picks would be by the Lions and Bears. The Raiders had a Al Davis flashback. They dropped from the 3rd overall to 12 for a single 2nd round pick to pick the fastest DB....he just open heart surgery last Nov to repair a torn inferior vena cava ...it's honestly is a miracle he's even alive.

The JETS basically drafted for whomever finally replaces Ryan with two defensive players when their biggest problem is on offense. The Browns picked the player Miami should have if they were going LB instead of OL. Browns needed a WR last year and they picked another QB and a RB. They still need a WR for whomever is QB....and they picked a LB when their defense wasn't the problem. The JETS are supposedly interesed in Ryan Nassib or Geno Smith.

What does it say about Ryan Nassib (who beside Barkley was touted to be the most Pro-ready QB's) that his former coach passed on him as QB for someone (who unless the Bills are changing to a read option offense) will be sitting a couple years?

The Hoodie got the Nos. 52, 83, 102, 229 from the Vikings for trading the 29th. That's a lot of picks by the Vikings for a 29th, which brings up once again just how litttle the Raiders and Cowboys recieved in return.

I like the Rams picks. Bradford needs a WR and if Ogletree can stay out of trouble...he might be the best LB picked in the first round.

Edited by Blue Train

That trade with Dallas for the Niners to move up to #18 worked out OK...Eric Reid a Safety from LSU.

On top of which they didn't get much from dropping that low in the draft to pick him. Worst part beside them not picking a DL which like the Raiders they desperately needed.....like the Giants they could have taken Barrett Jones. He was probably the best lineman avialble from Alabama. He started out as a guard. Because of injuries was moved to left tackle in 2011 and won the Outland that year. Moved to center as a senior and won the Rimmington. They only player to win both at two different positions. As well 3 National Championships at three different positions and All-American at three positions. If he came out last year as a left tackle he goes in the first round. As a center/guard.....

Hell, they could have even taken Brian Schwenke if they wanted a center that bad.

As in, Jerry Jones strikes again. The difference between him and Al Davis is that at one time Al Davis knew what he was doing as de facto GM.

Worst picks would be by the Lions and Bears. The Raiders had a Al Davis flashback. They dropped from the 3rd overall to 12 for a single 2nd round pick to pick the fastest DB....he just open heart surgery last Nov to repair a torn inferior vena cava ...it's honestly is a miracle he's even alive.

The JETS basically drafted for whomever finally replaces Ryan with two defensive players when their biggest problem is on offense. The Browns picked the player Miami should have if they were going LB instead of OL. Browns needed a WR last year and they picked another QB and a RB. They still need a WR for whomever is QB....and they picked a LB when their defense wasn't the problem. The JETS are supposedly interesed in Ryan Nassib or Geno Smith.

What does it say about Ryan Nassib (who beside Barkley was touted to be the most Pro-ready QB's) that his former coach passed on him as QB for someone (who unless the Bills are changing to a read option offense) will be sitting a couple years?

The Hoodie got the Nos. 52, 83, 102, 229 from the Vikings for trading the 29th. That's a lot of picks by the Vikings for a 29th, which brings up once again just how litttle the Raiders and Cowboys recieved in return.

I like the Rams picks. Bradford needs a WR and if Ogletree can stay out of trouble...he might be the best LB picked in the first round.

A big caution for the Jets first pick, the DB- he's had FIVE surgeries already.

Most of which are minor. There draft wasn't that good overall. The strangest pick was Richardson. He' doesn't fit Ryan's system like Lotulelei would have....but like I said....I really think this draft was for whomever was finally going to replace Ryan after this year.

He needs to go to Canada and show he can play QB for a few years. He's still only 25.

Most of which are minor. There draft wasn't that good overall. The strangest pick was Richardson. He' doesn't fit Ryan's system like Lotulelei would have....but like I said....I really think this draft was for whomever was finally going to replace Ryan after this year.

He needs to go to Canada and show he can play QB for a few years. He's still only 25.

Tebow is exciting, and I think that he would do well in the Canadian league. However, I have read that their scouts feel that his arm strength is not sufficient for the big Canadian field.

Montreal has the CFL rights to Tebow. Chicago's new head coach is former Montreal coach Marc Trestman. Could Trestman be interested in Tebow for the Bears?

Tebow is exciting, and I think that he would do well in the Canadian league. However, I have read that their scouts feel that his arm strength is not sufficient for the big Canadian field.

Montreal has the CFL rights to Tebow. Chicago's new head coach is former Montreal coach Marc Trestman. Could Trestman be interested in Tebow for the Bears?

Chicago is one of 6 to 8 teams (which includes the Jaguars. Not a good sign that his hometown teams isn't intersted. They were last year.)....who have alredy said they're not interested in him. Montreal's GM has also said if he comes there....he will be a backup. They do have Anthony Calvillo, after all.

Montreal also has Vince Young's rights.

Edited by Blue Train

I thought the Bears draft was average at best. Many in that part of the family don't like it. They reached considerably on Long in the first round. He barely played....I think he started a total of 4 games in his one year of playing at Oregon. So many other people they could have picked that could have helped them and wasn't a major project in that round.

Taking Jon Bostic over Arthur Brown makes no sense. There best pick might end up being Cornelius Washington.

Anyone sure Jerry Angelo still isn't GM?

Edited by Blue Train