NFL 2013

Look, just be glad you aren't a Redskins fan. I am about to throw in the towel after this awful season. Tired of my team being the butt of the NFL, with a clueless owner, and a terrible coaching staff. They destroyed a promising team, and they are back in the cellar with a top draft choice going to another team.

No kidding. Snyder is second only to Jones when it comes to an egomaniacal owner clueless about the game of football. He just tends to be a little more hands off than Jerry.

If they don't have someone come in and mentor RGIII with his mechanics this off season, that team could be in the toilet for many years to come. I know he still favors that knee, but his mechanics this season made him look like Troy Aikmann last season.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, just be glad you aren't a Redskins fan. I am about to throw in the towel after this awful season. Tired of my team being the butt of the NFL, with a clueless owner, and a terrible coaching staff. They destroyed a promising team, and they are back in the cellar with a top draft choice going to another team.

No kidding. Snyder is second only to Jones when it comes to an egomaniacal owner clueless about the game of football. He just tends to be a little more hands off than Jerry.

If they don't have someone come in and mentor RGIII with his mechanics this off season, that team could be in the toilet for many years to come. I know he still favors that knee, but his mechanics this season made him look like Troy Aikmann last season.

Agreed. And they better not get a "name" coach like Cowher (yes, there is one local media report stating that they are targeting him) or Gruden.

Firing Shanahan and his crew was a shame, but it had to be done.

Well, I'm not sure I'd call it a shame. That cat has been actively trying to sabotage that team all year. To be perfectly honest I'd have fired him for sending RGIII back out on the field in the playoffs last year. But, dropping that from the equation I'd have fired him after the two-point try against Atlanta. The shame is that he wasn't the Shanahan he once was. Like you said, it had to be done. Though I will admit the new school "gotta win within two years" coaching carousel is one of the things that is terribly wrong with the game these days. And its led to the absolute worst batch of coaches this sport has ever seen, IMO.

But let me ask you, do you ever wonder why Cowher's name continues to come up? Seems to me if he still wanted to coach, he'd already be coaching somewhere. But, I guess when a coaching vacancy comes up the media has to throw the triplets out there. Cowher, Gruden, and Dungy.

It comes up because the local sports reporters (who are part of the problem as well) try to out do one another with whatever seemingly plausible or loosely connected threads that are out there and make it into a story. But this one has some legs; apparently Snyder did meet Cowher in the past six weeks. And guess who the middle man was? James Brown, the CBS football anchor and Cowher's coworker.

Having said that, I have a feeling they will look at better candidates like Jay Grueden from Cincinnati or the OC from Seattle or San Francisco.

Edited by Stefan Wood

Yeah, I can see Gruden possibly coaching again, but I honestly believe both Cowher and Dungy are done. Dungy is a lock, but I guess I'd give Cowher a 1% probability. Though after working for the Rooney's all those years, I think he'd be a fool to sign a contract with Snyder.

And you're right about reporters. With the 24/7 news cycle, they've got to cook up the most sensational "stories" they can.

BTW, did you see that local guy from Detroit tweet earlier today that Matt Millen was the most likely choice to replace Schwartz? It wasn't long after that he had to tweet that it was a joke. First responders across the city must have been stretched too thin...

Edited by Scott Dolan

That's exactly why I called it an anomaly. The Chiefs second stringers actually played better that day than the first stringers have played in almost two months.

And I'd put the over/under for the Panthers/Niners at 42.

People (and not you, Mike) are going to start learning all over again that defense still wins championships in the NFL. No matter how far Goodell goes in hampering defensive play.

Top five defensive units at the end of the regular season:

Seahawks

Panthers

Bengals

Saints

Niners

Now, we all know the Bengals had about as much of a chance of making noise in the playoffs as the Eagles, Chiefs, and Packers. But, look at the four remaining teams. Two of those will make the NFC Championship, and the other two would beat ANY of the remaining AFC teams.

Kids these days are under the woefully incorrect assumption that all it takes to win it all is a great QB and lots of offense.

Um, yeah. Like that awesome QB Flacco and his unstoppable Ravens offense last year...

Having grown up watching Coach Shula, I have to admit that Belichick is the greatest situational head coach I've seen in my lifetime.

Bum's "his'n/your'n" quote applies perfectly. Think about what Wild Billy thought he had during the off season. And then look at how he has adjusted. Sorry, the cat's a fucking genius.

As for Carroll, having grown up a Dolphins fan I still recall the "choke" sign he gave on that Monday night game when Stoyanovich missed that FG. But, I respect what he's accomplished since initially falling on his face as a NFL head coach.

Harbaugh? Man, he sucked in Chicago. Then, if not for a blown call when Kordell Stewart ran out of the back of the endzone before catching the game winning TD pass in the AFC Championship game all those years ago, he and the Colts would have finally stopped the terrorist-like reign of the NFC in the Super Bowl. He's intense. I've got no problem with that.

John Fox, aside from being the accidental Godfather of the infuriating RBBC that has swept the league, I really have no opinion of one way or the other. He's been there and done that with far lesser talent than he has now. There's that, I guess.

Would I care to have a beer with any of them? Maybe Carroll and Harbaugh. They're douchebags, but strike me as at least fun-loving douchebags...

The 49/Seatle game ended like last year. (didn't they play last year too?) Last year, Russell Wilson had a chance to win the game with the last play of the game. They needed a touchdown. He scramble to the right and there was an open receiver in the end zone, Wilson was around the 5 yard line and tried to lob a pass over a 49er to the end zone. The 49er jumped up and knocked down the pass. That saved the game for the 49ers.

This year, a Seatle player knocks the pass, saving a touchdown.