the United States of Mind

danasgoodstuff

Many are now rejoicing. Some will buy. Fewer still will like. But many heads will be scratched.

Don't get me wrong, I like this stuff, but If PURSUIT OF THE 27th MAN threw a lot of people off...

Pursuit ... threw alot of people off? I thought it was terrific; I didn't buy it the first time around, but really enjoyed the recent CD reissue.

I agree. Who did Pursuit "throw off," and why?

I bought it used on vinyl a few years ago...I was surprised to find it was a BN at the time (I almost flipped past it because of the cover, and had to stop and think, "wait...was that Horace?"); I dug it then and it's one of the first records I reach for when I'm looking for something groovy in that 1971 kind of way. I'm looking forward to these relases!

Many are now rejoicing. Some will buy. Fewer still will like. But many heads will be scratched.

Don't get me wrong, I like this stuff, but If PURSUIT OF THE 27th MAN threw a lot of people off...

Pursuit ... threw alot of people off?

Oh, I remember a fair number of "complaints" about electric bass, Michael Brecker, vibes, etc. That was when it first came out as an RVG last year(?). None lately. Maybe they've gotten over it by now. ;)

Pursuit ... threw alot of people off?

Oh, I remember a fair number of "complaints" about electric bass, Michael Brecker, vibes, etc. That was when it first came out as an RVG last year(?). None lately. Maybe they've gotten over it by now. ;)

Of course--an electric bass---the horror, run... run....

• 1 year later...

The tunes themselves are very good. But there's lyrics, LOTS of lyrics, of a metaphysical bent, as well as many trappings which could be deemed "commercial" in nature, if not in execution.

If that raises suspicion and/or concern, then it might be best to stay away. I dig the stuff, but will be the first to admit that it ain't gonna be for everybody.

The tunes themselves are very good. But there's lyrics, LOTS of lyrics, of a metaphysical bent, as well as many trappings which could be deemed "commercial" in nature, if not in execution.

If that raises suspicion and/or concern, then it might be best to stay away. I dig the stuff, but will be the first to admit that it ain't gonna be for everybody.

Agreed. Some of it is fairly dated but on the whole it worked for me.

I didn't care for United States Of Mind at first, even joked about selling it. It was the singing, caught me off guard. I was shocked to read the enthusiasm for this album from several posters, so I've given it a second chance at life in the collection. I'm still not really diggin' the singing (though it doesn't sound as odd this time), but the music grooves along nicely.

Edited by Noj

I got it in the mail from BMG yesterday and listened to most of disc 1 last night. Loved it! :tup I even liked Andy Bey's vocals... and to my surprise really enjoyed Horace on electric piano as well. The music cooks right along.

Also got Hutcherson's NOW and the Jack Wilson, but haven't had a chance to delve into those yet... and the Shirley Scott $1.99 TALKIN' VERVE clearance title. That version of "Downtown"! :tup

I may be in the minority here, but I happen to think that this set contains some of Silver's most personal music. Not just because of the lyrics, which I know are just oo full of New Age-y self-actualization for some tastes, but due also of the sharpnessof the melodies and the sheer depth of the improvsing, especially from the leader. Its as if Horace re-discovered harmony on these dates, and he makes the most of his new knowledge. Also, for sheer historical importance: for answering in the digital age the question, "What was one of the most important and influential post-War jazz artists doing at the beginning of the ME Decade?"

Knowing of the singing and the lyrics being sung, I've avoided this in the past and haven't found a reason to revisit that decision. Even if the music does cook, I have serious doubts I'd get past the singing (and what's being sung). If you can't tell, I'm neither an Andy Bey fan nor much for New Age.

Knowing of the singing and the lyrics being sung, I've avoided this in the past and haven't found a reason to revisit that decision.  Even if the music does cook, I have serious doubts I'd get past the singing (and what's being sung).  If you can't tell, I'm neither an Andy Bey fan nor much for New Age.

Sounds like you make the right decision, Dan.

I've enjoyed Andy Bey singing similarly New Agey lyrics with Gary Bartz on "Celestial Blues."  However, with Bartz Bey sounds less forced.

"Forced"? Somehow that's not a term I would associate with the USofM.

OTOH, it's hard to argue Andy's contribution to the Ntu Troop. Didn't they have some reunion shows in the past few years? Europe, maybe? THAT would be something to see/hear!

Yeah these 3 albums really cook, some of the funkiest stuff i've ever heard and very trippy, but in a good way. Total Response is my fav of the three. Still waitin for the Silver N' stuff 2 be released, I got brass which is sealed and a NM copy of the double lp strings feat. Gregory Hines (nice stuff and great solos by bandmates). I also got all his Silveto stuff which has that USoM feel to it.