Jazz divas - BBC4 from 10 May

Taking breakfast in to my missus this morning, there was Billie Holiday on TV - an ad for a series called 'Jazz divas', on BBC4 from 10 May. The ad ended with a photo of Sarah Vaughn so it looks like the usual suspects; no Etta Jones, Irene Reid, Della Reese, Dakota Staton or Chris Connor; not even any Marlena Shaw :)

Still, I may have to learn how to work the TV. How does one find out more about forthcoming jazz programmes in the UK?

MG

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2013/19/queens-of-jazz.html

Good to see a programmes about this music.

But why, oh why, is it the same old packaging - divas and their 'pain'? The shadow of Romanticism is long cast.

(Stick the title of the programme in Google with the channel if you know it e.g. BBC4. That normally tells you.)

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Was watching that old Ronnie Scott programme that BBC did years back yesterday - the one introduced by John Fordham. Great programme, good interviews and some short musical gems. And a few intriguing snipits on there that they must have more of on file - Dizzy Gillespie Big Band from 1975? Ella with Joe Pass from sometime in the 1970s? Ronnie's Quintet with Dick Pearce at the Club sometime in the late 80s? And how about digging out some of those 80s Bath festival things? (Lester Bowie, Loose Tubes et al).

Wish they would find some more Jazz 625/Jazz Goes To College/Late Night Lineups etc. A few more like the Rollins/Ronnies' 'Discovery 1974' from last year would not go amis.

The one that they can ditch though is that awful 'Jazz Ship' from either 1975 or 76. Biggest anti-climax of all time, that one.

Edited by sidewinder

Was watching that old Ronnie Scott programme that BBC did years back yesterday - the one introduced by John Fordham. Great programme, good interviews and some short musical gems. And a few intriguing snipits on there that they must have more of on file - Dizzy Gillespie Big Band from 1975? Ella with Joe Pass from sometime in the 1970s? Ronnie's Quintet with Dick Pearce at the Club sometime in the late 80s? And how about digging out some of those 80s Bath festival things? (Lester Bowie, Loose Tubes et al).

Wish they would find some more Jazz 625/Jazz Goes To College/Late Night Lineups etc. A few more like the Rollins/Ronnies' 'Discovery 1974' from last year would not go amis.

The one that they can ditch though is that awful 'Jazz Ship' from either 1975 or 76. Biggest anti-climax of all time, that one.

Too true. BBC 4 seems to be the repository for the paltry amount of jazz the BBC broadcasts but there seems to be little appetite for unearthing archive material. Probably takes money away from those endless food and antique programmes.

Probably takes money away from those endless food and antique programmes.

Plus that all that damn house buying rubbish, escape to whatever country, cameras next to police raiding chav estates/stopping speeders, Miss Marple/Poirot shows, Countdown/variants thereof and sex infection clinic documentaries. ;)

The PR for this is excrutiating. They seem to be trying to retro-package these artists as protofeminists/gay icons/nutcases to draw in the Later with Jools Holland crowd. It's a bit like how male jazz musicians always get profiled as tormented drug addicts.

I suppose Nina Simone was a diva, but that's precisely why I can't stand her. Billie Holiday had a tough life but that doesn't make her a diva. The others always struck me as very professional, very talented and charming. Isn't that enough?

Regarding BBC jazz, having these digital channels is a big step up from the nadir of the 1990s when the closest BBC TV got to screening jazz was to sneer at it on The Fast Show. I just wish they would show more new material instead of just archive (welcome though that is).

Be nice if they'd show some contemporary jazz. The country is swimming in it.

The Beeb, however, has jazz (folk, classical too) as part of the heritage industry. All you get, if you get anything, is the 'Jazz Giants' of the past. There's a place for that, but it would be nice to have a TV version of Jazz on 3.

Pipedream, of course. Wouldn't get past the first suggestion.

Makes you wonder whether some artforms become heritage purely because mainstream media decides they are.

That's part of it; but in the UK at least there is still that patriarchal set of vested interests who decide what is worthy based on tradition and give it precedence. And there's another group who push anything as heritage that they think they can sell to visiting tourists.

On the positive side, there continues to be no end of music that springs up outside these areas and finds its own places to dig in its roots. The followers of those musics are quite happy to construct their own alternative heritage narratives.

Just heard a BBC interview with Maya Angelou talking about Billy Holiday. Apparently they had a falling out over Holiday singing to Angelou's son, and some Adults Only content of the lyrics. Unfortunately the link is now defunct.

Personally I love the BBC. Can't wait for the Ashes to start and the live Radio commentary from 'Test Match Special'!

Probably takes money away from those endless food and antique programmes.

Plus that all that damn house buying rubbish, escape to whatever country, cameras next to police raiding chav estates/stopping speeders, Miss Marple/Poirot shows, Countdown/variants thereof and sex infection clinic documentaries. ;)

Is that awful 'weird bodies' show from the BBC? Yuk.

That is scary.

That's part of it; but in the UK at least there is still that patriarchal set of vested interests who decide what is worthy based on tradition and give it precedence. And there's another group who push anything as heritage that they think they can sell to visiting tourists.

Some people need to pigeonhole things/people in order to understand them. TV networks depend on such people to make their jobs easy.

Maya Angelou, like Nikki Giovanni, is a highly over-rated writer who (in terms of writing skill) can't hold a candle to Alice Childress and Toni Morrison—although I'm sure that there were times when she wanted to. She is the Harry Belafonte, Lena Horne, Sammy Davis Jr. of the moment, a black person whose name white media people know and therefore give the first call when they need someone of that race.

As for jazz divas, I really think was one lady who qualified as such: Sarah Vaughan. She had that air about her and I heard her in person countless times, but never more diva-like than one Sunday evening when she performed, surrounded by an abundance of flowers on the stage Perugia's 18th century Teatro Del Pavone.

Umbria84Posters.jpg

Just seen the schedules for May 10th and the programmes either side of the new 'Jazz Divas' documentary are :

Jazz 625 - Dave Brubeck Quartet

Jazz Divas Gold - archive material from Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone etc

Jazz Piano Gold - Basie, Ellington, Tracey, Peterson, Monk etc

Arena : Sonny Rollins - Beyond The Notes ( documentary built around his 80th anniversary concert )

All repeats except 'Jazz Divas Gold' which is archive anyway.

That will probably be all we see of jazz on the BBC for at least 6 months. Oh for the days of Terry Heneberry!

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow-on, this coming Friday ( May 24 ) BBC 4 are showing a programme in their 'Britannia' series. This one is titled 'Trad Jazz Britannia' and looks at the growth ( and demise ) of the trad jazz phenomenon in the 50s and early 60s. This is followed by a new ( to me at any rate ) broadcast of an old Jazz 625 featuring George Lewis with the Acker Bilk Paramount Jazz Band, plus Beryl Bryden.

Excellent news ! I think I have that George Lewis Jazz 625 - it will be good to see it again though. There was another really excellent one with Henry 'Red' Allen and Alex Welsh and his band.

Yes indeed. I've got the Henry 'Red' Allen one and it is very enjoyable. Makes you wonder how many of the Jazz 625s the BBC have actually got - despite the stories about tapes being wiped - as I don't recall the George Lewis one being broadcast since its original airing.