Rooster lands dream gig!

Rooster_Ties

Hey all. Sorry I've been so scarce of late (like practically most of the last two years) -- but I've been busy acclimating to the Washington DC area since moving here almost 22 months ago (my wife’s job brought us here). Over the first year here, I went through a traditional job search of sorts – and I landed a few concurrent part-time things, but nothing as exciting as my latest news...

The week before last I landed my absolute DREAM job – maybe one of the most exciting opportunities in my entire (semi-randomly unfolding) career.

For going on 18 years (since I first visited in 1996), my favorite museum anywhere has been the National Building Museum (NBM) – the nation's premier museum devoted to Architecture, Design, Engineering, Construction, and Urban Planning. It’s located here in Washington – and before moving here, I used to visit NBM every 2-3 years (without fail!), whenever I'd tag along on my wife's work trips to DC.

Well, after volunteering extensively for 6 months at NBM, and then working as a part-time staff member since last November in their Visitor Services department (helping manage volunteers, and coordinating group tours), I am now about to head off into an entirely new adventure, as…

Executive Assistant to the Executive Director of the Museum. My role also includes being the primary liaison to the Board of Trustees. I'll also get to work with nearly every department across the entire organization, on a variety of projects over time.

Any of you who know me, know my two biggest passions are Music and Architecture. I’ve been able to pursue many musical interests over the years (as a fan, collector, performer, and self-proclaimed artistic director on a home-grown jazz concert series) – but MUCH less so Architecture (and never career-wise, especially for an avowed “generalist” like me).

Needless to say, I'm over the moon with excitement about this – something I could have scarcely even imagined last year. This is the sort of role I’m naturally drawn to (for instance, I’m usually the second banana on every committee I’ve ever served on, pulling together materials, creating presentations, and managing logistics). To have this kind of opportunity (at this level) – and especially for THIS organization – is really about as close to a “dream job” as I can imagine.

There, that's my long-awaited update! BTW, this first picture below is similar to the view just a few feet from my office on the 4th floor…

4960475781_28dd858601_z.jpg

national-building-museum.jpg

04900r.jpg

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Thanks everyone! NBM is located fairly close to the National Mall (about 4 blocks north of the National Gallery of Art) -- or about a 10-15 minute walk from the U.S. Capitol or Union Station.

Couple more pics to share. My office is in the far upper right-hand corner of the second picture, on the 4th (top) floor.

building-museum-washington-dc.jpg

800px-National_Building_Museum_-_6.jpg