Rooster lands dream gig!

Rooster_Ties

Hope you don't get sequestered.

No risk there (but thanks for the well wishes). NBM isn't a Smithsonian, nor is it in any way a government entity. Although it did receive some government funding years ago, I don't think it gets any these days. The sequester couldn't have any effect on us, even if it tried!

The (sad?) truth is, you get used to anything. I've had offices where I had an amazing view of the Sears Tower, of the World Trade Center (of course, that ended up being terribly painful on the day) and now of the mountains in Vancouver.

It eventually just becomes part of the background, even if it is a nice background.

It'd be nice to visit DC (and also NYC) again, but unfortunately that's not going to happen in the foreseeable future. Great musea. My first priority is the renovated Rijksmuseum Amsterdam, but that's another topic :)

Edited by J.A.W.

Wow! How great. I Gotta admit i'd never heard of the place but it looks great and sounds like it's doing important work. I'm interested in design too (used to teach in an architecture school) but not as passionately as you. Congratulations!

Hell, there's really a tie manufacturer called Rooster Ties?!!!!!

MG

Rooster brand neckties were popular in the late 50's and early 60's, were all fairly narrow (as were most ties back then), and most notably -- they had SQUARE ends (but they were NOT knit).

Most had some really amazing and stylish themes. I own about 75 of them (though only about 30 of mine are really of the most stylish variety). Here are some sample pics from the web (none of these are pics of my own, I'm afraid)...

shellhammer_roosterpeople_02.jpeg

il_570xN.412130568_fced.jpg

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Very nice; particularly the steamboat.

I used to like unusual ties, in the days when I had to wear them at work. But I never had a big collection; I'd wear the same one, day in, day out, until it wore out, when I'd replace it. My favourite was the Pink Panther playing a tenor sax. You could practically hear Plas Johnson :)

MG

Me too (re: that steamboat tie). I really wish I had that one!

Quite a number of people here seem to like my quirky ties -- I get positive comments on them all the time (sometimes several times in the same day).

And actually, it's probably fair to say that this place has more than its fair share of (wonderful, but) quirky people who work here -- people who seem to appreciate other quirky people (which true of me on both counts -- surely I'm both quirky, and appreciate other quirky people).

All that is to say that I think I found my people! :wub:

Me too (re: that steamboat tie). I really wish I had that one!

Quite a number of people here seem to like my quirky ties -- I get positive comments on them all the time (sometimes several times in the same day).

And actually, it's probably fair to say that this place has more than its fair share of (wonderful, but) quirky people who work here -- people who seem to appreciate other quirky people (which true of me on both counts -- surely I'm both quirky, and appreciate other quirky people).

All that is to say that I think I found my people! :wub:

That's the real thing.

MG

Congrats! What a great interior, too!

(Now you just need to start a concert series in the building and you'd be able to take care of both interests. :) )

It is a gorgeous building. It has been a while since I have been there.

I actually attended a lunchtime concert there years ago and it was a beautiful setting. If ever someone at the museum does express an interest in a concert series, let me know. Maybe we could tie it in with that concert series down the road :)

Bertrand.