Kenny Clarke-Francy Boland Big Band

Claude Schlouch

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a great fan of the Kenny Clarke-Francy Boland Big Band. Can someone please let me know what sessions are on these three albums.

Hi,

You will find below all détails concerning thoseb 3 very hard to find LPs:

Rick Kiefer, Idrees Sulieman, Shake Keane, Jimmy Deuchar (tp), Ã…ke Persson, Nat Peck, Erik van Lier (tb), Otto Bredl (tb), Derek Humble (as), Johnny Griffin, Ronnie Scott, Carl Drevo (ts), Sahib Shibab (bs), Francy Boland (p, arr), Jimmy Woode (b), Kenny Clare (dm), Fats Sadi (perc)

Godorf, Germany: April 15, 1967

Doleful City

Again To See The Stars

Circling And Sinking

Love

Plutus

Papa Satan (aka Papé Satan, Papé Satan Aleppe)

From The Fell Repast

Into The Second

What A Regal Aspect He Yet Retains

Oldos Negros

Orquidea

Uma Fita De Tres Cores

Uma Rosa So

All titles on KPM(E)03.

Kenny Clarke did not participate in this session, although his name appears as co-leader on the KPM release.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Benny Bailey, Dusko Gojkovic, Idrees Sulieman, Jimmy Deuchar (tp), Eric Van Lier, Ã…ke Persson, Nat Peck (tb), Derek Humble (as), Johnny Griffin, Ronnie Scott, Tony Coe (ts), Sahib Shihab (bs, ss), Francy Boland (p, arr), Jimmy Woode (b), Kenny Clarke, Kenny Clare (?) (dm)

Köln, Germany: August 26, 1967

New Box

Milk Shake

Dia Blue (aka Dia Bleu, Dia Blues)

Open Door

Total Blues

Griff's Groove

Duas Rosas

A Rosa Negra

All titles on KPM(E)INT 02

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Benny Bailey (tp, flhrn), Idrees Sulieman, Jimmy Deuchar, Dusko Gojkovic (tp), Ã…ke Persson, Nat Peck, Eric Van Lier (tb), Derek Humble (as), Johnny Griffin, Ronnie Scott, Tony Coe (ts), Sahib Shihab (bs, fl), Francy Boland (p, arr), Jimmy Woode (b), Kenny Clarke, Kenny Clare (dm), Fats Sadi (vib, bgo)

probably Koln, Germany, August 1, 1968

The Turk

Mack’s Truck

Turkish Girls

Tarantas Drive

Sunday At Ten

Kibla’s Mood

Tahi Haki Sur

High Beg’s

Oryge

Bis Millah

Bonpos Walk

Ramo De Flores

Uum Mannie Uum (sic)

Un Graso De Areia on 7:00 Youtube but incomplete

All titles on KPM INT(E)04

Thanks for that, Claude.

Looking through my Bruyninckx it seems these sessions were released on CD by Emanon Records. I can't seem to find any reference to this outfit. Anyone know anything about this label?

PS I can't believe the Emanon Records mentioned in Wikipedia would have released something like this.

Edited by Head Man

Thanks for that, Claude.

Looking through my Bruyninckx it seems these sessions were released on CD by Emanon Records. I can't seem to find any reference to this outfit. Anyone know anything about this label?

PS I can't believe the Emanon Records mentioned in Wikipedia would have released something like this.

Hi,

The following titles on KPM INT 03 are on Emanon CDOne (from Germany):

Doleful City

Again To See The Stars

Circling And Sinking

Plutus

Thanks for that, Claude.

Hi,

Doleful City

Again To See The Stars

Circling And Sinking

Plutus

Do you have a link for a site where this can be viewed?

Thanks for that, Claude.

Hi,

Doleful City

Again To See The Stars

Circling And Sinking

Plutus

Try the link below. On the site, you can download one complete LP + some titles from the other 2 LPs. They say by mistake full hearing, but unfortunately some titles are missing.

http://archive.org/details/TheOstShow9thJuly2011-KpmJazzSpecial

Thanks for that, Claude.

Hi,

Doleful City

Again To See The Stars

Circling And Sinking

Plutus

Try the link below. On the site, you can download one complete LP + some titles from the other 2 LPs. They say by mistake full hearing, but unfortunately some titles are missing.

http://archive.org/details/TheOstShow9thJuly2011-KpmJazzSpecial

Thanks for that Claude. I continue to be amazed by what's out there in the blogosphere.... :wacko:

"Jazz Convention 1", cat.no. KPM (E) Int 02, was - except for one track - also released on Muse as "Open Door". That release is much easier to come by.

Libraries sometimes gave tunes different titles to differentiate them. For example, Keith Mansfield's "Powerhouse Pop" had a different title when recorded by Maynard Ferguson with the identical arrangement. Same thing happened with Les Baxter tunes from the "Africa Blue" album. So, even if these are different recordings, you may recogonize much of what you hear from other albums.

These must be some of the most elusive CBBB Lps. I have some obscure German pressing of Open Door, but its sound is below the usual CBBB standard.

A CBBB project would be some of the best things Mosaic could do, if they could get a connection to the Campi estate. One Studio and live box each, before and with Kenny Clare, beginning with the Don Byas session that had both Boland and Clarke.

I know I am dreaming ...

These must be some of the most elusive CBBB Lps. I have some obscure German pressing of Open Door, but its sound is below the usual CBBB standard.

A CBBB project would be some of the best things Mosaic could do, if they could get a connection to the Campi estate. One Studio and live box each, before and with Kenny Clare, beginning with the Don Byas session that had both Boland and Clarke.

I know I am dreaming ...

:tup:tup

Somehow, I would be much happier with a release on Ishtar, Mosaic or some other "official" reissue label. If I want an LP dub I could always make one myself. Except that I'll never find the LP... :-)

Anyway, as noted elsewhere on the web and by people in the know on this very forum, there's a wealth of unreleased material in the Campi archives (possibly now at Ishtar/Rearward). I would really love to see a serious CBBB box set with unreleased material and would preorder it on day one. I'm afraid that a Pujol reissue would not increase the probability of such a set from Rearward.

Edited by Daniel A

• 4 years later...

Is this a case where posts have been lost due to the server switch? Just a few days ago I saw a post by Claude Schlouch in this thread that the three KPM albums are now available as downloads at Amazon.

For that matter they are also on Spotify and sound quality is good. So, what was recently a 1000 Euro record can now be streamed for free (if you already have a subscription). I am saving my 1000 Euro and will be enjoying the stream.

Edited by Daniel A

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Is this a case where posts have been lost due to the server switch? Just a few days ago I saw a post by Claude Schlouch in this thread that the three KPM albums are now available as downloads at Amazon.

For that matter they are also on Spotify and sound quality is good. So, what was recently a 1000 Euro record can now be streamed for free (if you already have a subscription). I am saving my 1000 Euro and will be enjoying the stream.

Alternatively download for a pittance - means some Euro 995 savings :D - via here .... :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kpm-International-Jazz-Convention-I/dp/B073C6KVJY/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1516192754&sr=1-1-mp3-albums-bar-strip-0&keywords=Kpm+International%3A+Jazz+Convention+Volume+I

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kpm-International-Jazz-Convention-II/dp/B073C5FMX6/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1516192640&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=clarke+boland+kpm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kpm-International-Jazz-Convention-III/dp/B073C5V6NZ/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1516192726&sr=1-1-mp3-albums-bar-strip-0&keywords=Kpm+International%3A+Jazz+Convention+Volume+III

3 hours ago, mikeweil said:

What do you think of the sound of these downloads?

Didn`t hear them until now - but my buddy "blacksaint" did so and seemed appreciative (he is usually "sitting on the fence" forumwise but probably in this case he can drop a line here :w) ....

Edited by soulpope

Shame it’s only MP3 but I guess beggars can’t be choosers !

I wonder what the situation is on that rumoured (via Dusty) reissue by Rearward of ‘Out of the Folk Bag’? It could do with a sonic clean-up reissue.

The KPM tracks are also library ‘cues’ so again - untypical.

Edited by sidewinder