Kenny Clarke-Francy Boland Big Band

Claude Schlouch

18 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Shame it’s only MP3 but I guess beggars can’t be choosers !

I wonder what the situation is on that rumoured (via Dusty) reissue by Rearward of ‘Out of the Folk Bag’? It could do with a sonic clean-up reissue.

The very short playing time could be strong argument to dig into the Campi vaults - which are said being considerable - to unearth some unissued recordings .... although Rearward dind`t release (at least to my knowledge) any unreleased material til now ....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, soulpope said:

The very short playing time could be strong argument to dig into the Campi vaults - which are said being considerable - to unearth some unissued recordings .... although Rearward dind`t release (at least to my knowledge) any unreleased material til now ....

'Our Kinda Strauss' had previously unreleased tracks, I believe.

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

'Our Kinda Strauss' had previously unreleased tracks, I believe.

You`re right - I obviously forgot about the early Rearward releases. 

On Rearward "Griff`n`Bags" three beautiful (IMO) previously unreleased Clarke Boland Trio tracks  saw the light of day ....:

Francy Boland Trio
Lindström Studios, Cologne, Germany: February 19, 1967
Francy Boland (p); Jimmy Woode, Jr. (b); Kenny Clarke (d).

a. Gamal Sady'n'Em (Jimmy Woode) - 4:59
b. Lonely Girl (Neal Hefti) - 2:48
c. Gyson's Bag (Jimmy Woode) - 4:58

Issues: a-c on Rearward (It) RW103 CD [CD] titled GRIFF 'N' BAGS (as by Johnny Griffin).
Producer: Gigi Campi
Engineer: Wolfgang Hirschmann

On 27/01/2018 at 1:13 AM, Teasing the Korean said:

Mildly off-topic, but Francy Boland's rare mood music masterpiece Flirt and Dream has been reissued as an mp3 album.  No idea if it is from the masters or ripped from an LP.  

This sounds like an outtake from Les Baxter's Que Mango! 

I noticed that on Spotify over the weekend and it sounded pretty good to my ears and not an LP lift. My guess is that Edsel have included it in their MPS digitisation programme along with many other goodies. Noticed also that the Rearward reissues were also on Spotify too. Great stuff !

All sorts of interesting MPS stuff has appeared on Spotify. Mark Murphy ‘Midnight Mood’ with a Clarke/Boland Octet is also on there.

Edited by sidewinder

On January 29, 2018 at 1:55 PM, sidewinder said:

I noticed that on Spotify over the weekend and it sounded pretty good to my ears and not an LP lift. My guess is that Edsel have included it in their MPS digitisation programme along with many other goodies. Noticed also that the Rearward reissues were also on Spotify too. Great stuff !

All sorts of interesting MPS stuff has appeared on Spotify. Mark Murphy ‘Midnight Mood’ with a Clarke/Boland Octet is also on there.

:tup

• 3 weeks later...

That previous ‘Out Of The Folk Bag’ reissue on vinyl put out in Germany is absolutely dreadful. Sounds to me like a very amateur copy off of vinyl, with severe filtering and sonic drop-offs. Must be a boot. Lets hope that Rearward (a) deliver in October and (b) issue this one to their usual high quality and off of the master tapes.

Edited by sidewinder

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:19 PM, clifford_thornton said:

Is some of the Folk Bag LP also on the Supraphon CBBB LP? I have that and it sounds wonderful at 1/30 of the price.

The Supraphon (Cz) 1 15 0477, SUA 15988, SUA ST 55988 “Francy Boland & Kenny Clarke Famous Orchestra” LPs contain only 6 titles from the original "Out Of The Folk Bag" album. 3 titles are missing: Nice Bunch, Return & Dear Old Stockholm.

Note that “The Turk” issued by Supraphon has an additional trumpet solo at the start of the tune.

Edited by Claude Schlouch
information added

On 1.5.2013 at 8:53 PM, Daniel A said:

"Jazz Convention 1", cat.no. KPM (E) Int 02, was - except for one track - also released on Muse as "Open Door". That release is much easier to come by.

Only track "Griff's Groove" is missing here:

31898068tf.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Francy-BolandKenny-Clarke-Big-Band-Open-Door/release/3039787

16 hours ago, optatio said:

This album has only a minor interest. It contains a medium stereo. KPM are all mono. Maybe pressing ..

This is a reissue of Jazz Convention Vol.1 (KPM) except for one track (Griff’s Groove) being not included.

Liner notes indicate that it was recorded August 1967 in Köln, Germany.

KPM (UK) INT 02 indicates that October 20, 1967 is the recording date.

The Muse MR 5056 reissue (mono of the above) indicates recording as Prague, Czech 1967.

21 minutes ago, Claude Schlouch said:

This album has only a minor interest. It contains a medium stereo. KPM are all mono. Maybe pressing ..

This is a reissue of Jazz Convention Vol.1 (KPM) except for one track (Griff’s Groove) being not included.

Liner notes indicate that it was recorded August 1967 in Köln, Germany.

KPM (UK) INT 02 indicates that October 20, 1967 is the recording date.

The Muse MR 5056 reissue (mono of the above) indicates recording as Prague, Czech 1967.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush ;-)!

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:45 PM, Claude Schlouch said:

The Supraphon (Cz) 1 15 0477, SUA 15988, SUA ST 55988 “Francy Boland & Kenny Clarke Famous Orchestra” LPs contain only 6 titles from the original "Out Of The Folk Bag" album. 3 titles are missing: Nice Bunch, Return & Dear Old Stockholm.

Note that “The Turk” issued by Supraphon has an additional trumpet solo at the start of the tune.

I found recently the origin of the additional trumpet solo at the start of the tune "The Turk" on Supraphon (Cz) 1 15 0477, SUA 15988, SUA ST 55988 “Francy Boland & Kenny Clarke Famous Orchestra”.

This trumpet solo is from a stereo version (3:14) of the above tune still unissued, but in circulation among collectors. Maybe on the forhcoming "Out Of The Folk Bag" reissue... about october 1, 2018...

• 2 months later...

Hi folks,

I recently discovered that I have a copy containing stereo tracks of the session that produced the “Out Of The Folk Bag” album and that could be the ones to be released next October 2018 on the Rearward label.

In an old post, I noted that “The Turk” issued on Supraphon issues has an additional trumpet solo at the start of the tune This solo is on the below stereo version (3:14).

Belgium:        Nice Bunch                                                                                                    2:59

England:        Greensleeves                                                                                                6:53

Italy:              Funiculi, Funicula                                                                                           5:18

Poland:          Nights In Warsaw                                                                                          4:52

USA:              I Don't Want Nothin'                                                                                      5:52

Turkey:          The Turk                                                                                                        3:14

Canada:         Here The Good Wind Comes (aka The Good Wind Is Here)                       7:42

Yugoslavia:    Return                                                                                                           4:16

Sweden:         Dear Old Stockholm                                                                                     6:23

Germany        Good Evening, Good Night (Guten Abend, Gute Nacht)                              2:32

• 2 months later...

Just received notification from Trunk Records that their Clarke/Boland LP compilation of the 3 KPMs is now out (single LP - the listing confirms that about half of it is Gary McFarland titles).

Not sure if the release is mono or stereo.

LP release only, limited to 500 copies (and Mr Trunk has confirmed that he is unlikely to do any further pressings). Order is in !

Edited by sidewinder

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Just received notification from Trunk Records that their Clarke/Boland LP compilation of the 3 KPMs is now out (single LP - the listing confirms that about half of it is Gary McFarland titles).

Not sure if the release is mono or stereo.

LP release only, limited to 500 copies (and Mr Trunk has confirmed that he is unlikely to do any further pressings). Order is in !

Couldn't find it on their site.