ever seen a blue note master?

etherbored

well, here's the box for sonny clark's "dial s for sonny"... several others can be found @ music matters.

BLP1571_Sonny_Clark__Dial_S_for_Sonny.jp

one more i couldn't resist, for those who may never have seen; donald byrd's "royal flush". i always wondered what "6 m's" was an abbreviation for...

Royal_Flush_Master.jpg

The only one I found is the Dizzy Reece ... where do the others hide?

it's kind of odd, but some when you click on most of the covers they then open as the master boxes... btw, did you notice that alfred lion signed his last name beneath the "6 m's" statement?

noj - was the warehouse that held the hendrix material climate controlled?

Edited by etherbored

On the first box there's a sticker that puzzles me. What does "DO NOT BAKE" mean?

Is "bake" jargon for something one might be able to do with metal masters but not with acetates? (You know, something other than "make more delicious by sticking into an oven at high temperature".)

The tapes involved are mostly of Ampex origin.

Never heard humidity was the problem but the baking process lasts around 6 months, not one play. The binder used to attach the particles to the backing deteriorates and becomes sticky, gumming up the tape machine heads and shaving off some of the information on the tapes.

I first encountered this problem in the '80s.

Many of my reissues involved baking.

• 2 weeks later...

Never heard humidity was the problem but the baking process lasts around 6 months, not one play. The binder used to attach the particles to the backing deteriorates and becomes sticky, gumming up the tape machine heads and shaving off some of the information on the tapes.

I expect this is a very common problem...but whenever it strikes, the results may be devastating.

I seldom had the problem you describe (sticky tape), possibly because I have very few Ampex tapes, but the opposite is even worse : the binder dries out and falls off the tape, taking the iron oxyde particles in the process and leaving bald spots on the tape...no more sound, not even tape hiss..!

It happened frequently with Memorex 2500 tapes, leaving several works on this tape unusable because of sound drops of 1 or 2 seconds. These tapes date back from 1973-74.

I even tried to repair the digital transfer of the tape when by chance sme soonatas have repeats in the score, but then that is pure luck.

Do you feel the baking process might be a temporary cure for this?

I expect this is a very common problem...but whenever it strikes, the results may be devastating.

I seldom had the problem you describe (sticky tape), possibly because I have very few Ampex tapes, but the opposite is even worse : the binder dries out and falls off the tape, taking the iron oxyde particles in the process and leaving bald spots on the tape...no more sound, not even tape hiss..!

It happened frequently with Memorex 2500 tapes, leaving several works on this tape unusable because of sound drops of 1 or 2 seconds. These tapes date back from 1973-74.

I even tried to repair the digital transfer of the tape when by chance sme soonatas have repeats in the score, but then that is pure luck.

Do you feel the baking process might be a temporary cure for this?

I doubt it but have no solid information to back it up. Back in the '80s when we first encountered the "sticky" problem we eventually received the "cure" from the Ampex engineering department. Ampex and their successor Quantegy would bake tapes at no charge for a few years. Most companies with quantities of these tapes now have convection ovens to remedy the problem. I suggest contacting the companies directly if possible. Best of luck.