Pettiford - Hipp New CDs

Christiern

This reminds me, I've never been able to find the Oscar Pettiford group that Eddie Costa played in as a sideman.

I know they recorded at least one song,"Taking a Chance On Love" as a trio.

I know EC did that tune with Tal, and on the "Live At Newport ,1957" LP, but this was under OP's name.

Anyone know what LP it came from, or if it's been re-issued on CD?

TIA

My point is that the Jutta Hipp CD was already discussed last fall.

Plainly and simply. Just a statement of fact. No totally unlike all those other threads here where a topic that had already been discussed in another thread in this forum was invariably linked to (maybe - a bit understnadably IMO - to avoid atomizing related discussions in a zillion separate threads). Like it or not.

The Pettiford is really nice. 10 of the 16 tracks are issued for the first time, according to the very useful OP discography at http://themenschmidt.de/don.htm. Mostly small group settings with some dynamic playing, with excellent sound.

The trio track with Eddie Costa "Taking a Chance on Love" was released on an lp called "Winner's Circle". A search of Amazon shows that the title has been released on cd in Japan showing John Coltrane as the leader. Since I have that title on vinyl only, I cannot verify if this track is indeed on the cd or not, although I would expect that it would be.

Costa was also on another OP-lead project, Manhattan Jazz Septette, which I highly recommend. Unfortuately that cd is out of print (I have it on a beautiful Japanese reissue vinyl).

Edited by Pete B