don shirley, pianist, has passed away

alocispepraluger102

mr. shirley had the most beautiful touch and shadings i've heard.

his out of print columbia album from the 1960s "in concert" is among my most favorite recordings.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/29/arts/music/donald-shirley-pianist-and-composer-dies-at-86.html?smid=tw-nytimesobituary&seid=auto&_r=0

'Jazz piano players, Mr. Shirley told The Times in 1982, when he was appearing at the Cookery in Greenwich Village, “smoke while they’re playing, and they’ll put the glass of whisky on the piano, and then they’ll get mad when they’re not respected like Arthur Rubinstein. You don’t see Arthur Rubinstein smoking and putting a glass on the piano.”

He added: “I am not an entertainer. But I’m running the risk of being considered an entertainer by going into a nightclub because that’s what they have in there. I don’t want anybody to know me well enough to slap me on the back and say, ‘Hey, baby.’ The black experience through music, with a sense of dignity, that’s all I have ever tried to do.”"

Edited by alocispepraluger102

I came across Don Shirley in the early 60s, when I bought the 45 of 'Drown in my own tears', on which he played organ and piano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO-T4fPmAWE&list=PLE3F6179990A0C856

I thought of you, Aloc, seeing the photos accompanying the record :)

I bought the album of the same name soon after and one of his other Cadence LPs - 'The Don Shirley trio'. There were, I seem to remember, comments of a similar nature to the ones you picked out of the obit, Aloc, about night club gigs, in the notes to one of them. I liked some of the material well enough but, in those days, I was conscious that I wasn't getting a lot of what was in there out of it, so I flogged the records. Never forgot the way he played 'Drown in my own tears' though.

RIP Mr Shirley

MG

Early in my jazz listening I came across a copy of one of his duos with Davis. I was very excited to hear it as RD had caught my ear, but alas when I got home I found the wrong LP was inside. Never did replace it, but he seems like a nice player.