Hank Mobley Copenhagen 1968

Claude Schlouch

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is the stuff I have on an old cassette, it sounds pretty horrible. The tape operator was clearly a fan of NHOP, as he is featured prominently in the "mix". As big of a Mobley fan as I am, I could do without it. You're not missing much.

Bullshit

confused.gif

Please elaborate.

Edited by J.A.W.

Claude, is this an authorized release? Just checking.

A "CD-R from China, sold in Japan"? I doubt it. Reeks of bootleg all the way.

I am sure Mobley never saw money from this (beyond the usual Café Montmartre gig fee)!

This is bootleg material, no doubt...

I have heard this and it does sound better than Kevin suggests.

I know we have to avoid a link, but can we ask Claude for a track listing? There's one or two tunes that I could not identify.

Bertrand.

Mon cher Bertrand,

Ce qui suit te fera sans doute plaisir:

Hank Mobley (ts), Kenny Drew (p), Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen (b), Albert Heath (dm)

Cafe Montmartre, Copenhagen, Denmark, April 1968

The vamp 20:20

Alone together 6:47

Blue bossa 16:01

Rhythm-a-ning 3:15

Blue Monk 8:00

If I were a bell 12:15

Workout 17:58

Up, over and out 26:43

Third time around 16:03

Unknown title (inc) 4:58

Summertime 17:15

Airegin into 9:21

The theme 5:29

Ton ami Claude

Edited by Claude Schlouch

there's also this one ... the most complete version so far, yours truly had a (modest!) hand in putting it together:

Hank Mobley / Johnny Griffin - Quintet
Jazz am Rhein 1968
Köln (DE), Rheinpark, Tanzbrunnen
September 1, 1968

Hank Mobley - tenor sax
Johnny Griffin - tenor sax
Bora Rokovic - piano
Jimmy Woode - bass
Kenny Clare - drums

1. Stage Announcer Intro (0:51)
2. Sophisticated Lady (Ellington) [JG]
> My Funny Valentine (Rodgers-Hart) [HM] (11:29)
3. Wee (Best-Gillespie) > Applause > Stage Announcer Outro [cut] (13:53)
4. Some Other Blues (Coltrane) 10:09 [italian voiceover 2:55-3:01]

TT: 36:25

Source: radio broadcasts

It comes from (at least) two different sources ... the usual version misses #4. Not sure about the previously linked boot - it has the date, but I don't know if it just adds #1-3 to the third disc or if it has it all ... it was also badly in need of a speed correction, the above timings reflect the fixed versions, but include applause and all.

On 5/19/2013 at 2:54 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

If this is the stuff I have on an old cassette, it sounds pretty horrible. The tape operator was clearly a fan of NHOP, as he is featured prominently in the "mix". As big of a Mobley fan as I am, I could do without it. You're not missing much.

On 5/19/2013 at 3:03 PM, Michael Weiss said:

Bullshit

Does this mean that you have a copy of this that you can clearly hear the whole band? On the cassette I have, NHOP's bass overloads the mic in a couple of places, It sounds like his mic level is cranked up too much. However, I don't recall Mobley ever coming through clearly. What does come through is great stuff but I can't get past the crappy sound.

I'll have to dig out that cassette (and cassette deck) again. Maybe as the years have worn on I can appreciate it more?

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

there's also this one ... the most complete version so far, yours truly had a (modest!) hand in putting it together:

Jazz am Rhein 1968

September 1, 1968

Hank Mobley - tenor sax

Bora Rokovic - piano

Jimmy Woode - bass

Kenny Clare - drums

It comes from (at least) two different sources ... the usual version misses #4. Not sure about the previously linked boot - it has the date, but I don't know if it just adds #1-3 to the third disc or if it has it all ... it was also badly in need of a speed correction, the above timings reflect the fixed versions, but include applause and all.

Dear King Ubu,

This session is included in the 3CD bootleg set in sale in Japan. It contains 2 CD from Copenhagen, April 1968 and 1 from Koln, September 1 or 10, 1968.

All the best,

Claude

I agree with Michael, but would also like him to elaborate.

Except for the Left Bank gig with Wynton Kelly in 1967, this is the only live recording I know of Hank Mobley fronting a group in a club. To hear Hank stretch out - for a very long time - on his own tunes - (despite the obvious inebriation) is priceless. I hear Trane's influence more pronounced in Hank's later years as this tape clearly demonstrates, especially on Third Time Around. This is also some of the best Tootie Heath on tape foreshadowing his playing on The Prisoner. I played this for George Coleman a few weeks ago and he was particularly enamored with Tootie's playing on here.

The sound might not be ideal but really, who gives a fuck? Maybe my dub is a little better than yours Kevin, but I hear Hank clearly throughout the tape.

Edited by Michael Weiss

Jazz am Rhein 1968

September 1, 1968

Hank Mobley - tenor sax

Bora Rokovic - piano

Jimmy Woode - bass

Kenny Clare - drums

Dear King Ubu,

This session is included in the 3CD bootleg set in sale in Japan. It contains 2 CD from Copenhagen, April 1968 and 1 from Koln, September 1 or 10, 1968.

All the best,

Claude

It runs several minutes longer than 160, so doesn't fit onto two discs.

But more interesting: do they give timings and did the steal (I wouldn't use that word if they weren't making money of it) the fixed version of the Mobe/Griff?

I agree with Michael, but would also like him to elaborate.

Except for the Left Bank gig with Wynton Kelly in 1967, this is the only live recording I know of Hank Mobley fronting a group in a club. To hear Hank stretch out - for a very long time - on his own tunes - (despite the obvious inebriation) is priceless. I hear Trane's influence more pronounced in Hank's later years as this tape clearly demonstrates, especially on Third Time Around. This is also some of the best Tootie Heath on tape foreshadowing his playing on The Prisoner. I played this for George Coleman a few weeks ago and he was particularly enamored with Tootie's playing on here.

The sound might not be ideal but really, who gives a fuck? Maybe my dub is a little better than yours Kevin, but I hear Hank clearly throughout the tape.

:tup :tup :tup

Bullshit

Does this mean that you have a copy of this that you can clearly hear the whole band? On the cassette I have, NHOP's bass overloads the mic in a couple of places, It sounds like his mic level is cranked up too much. However, I don't recall Mobley ever coming through clearly. What does come through is great stuff but I can't get past the crappy sound.

I'll have to dig out that cassette (and cassette deck) again. Maybe as the years have worn on I can appreciate it more?

I gotta dig out my CDRs too, I don't at all recall NHOP overloading the mic and while Hank is somewhat 'distant' not so much that I couldn't enjoy this rare glimpse of, as Michael points out, Hank really stretching out.

Bullshit

I gotta dig out my CDRs too, I don't at all recall NHOP overloading the mic and while Hank is somewhat 'distant' not so much that I couldn't enjoy this rare glimpse of, as Michael points out, Hank really stretching out.

I agree - have listened to my 3 CDr set (AIFF files made from FLAC's if I can recall) Hank's tenor shines through quite well & the bass is not overpowering

My info says it's a blues and it's incomplete (theme may be missing, if there ever was one) - need to dig for the CDRs, too.

Also, my info says it's from March 1968, and "Rhythm-a-Ning" is placed at the beginning of it all:

CD1/67:40
1. Rhythm-a-Ning (Thelonious Monk) 3:16
2. The Vamp (Hank Mobley) 20:36
3. Alone Together (Schwartz-Dietz) 6:58
4. Blue Bossa (Kenny Dorham) 16:15
5. Blue Monk (Thelonious Monk) / The Theme (Miles Davis) 8:09
6. If I Were a Bell (Frank Loesser) 12:24

CD2/61:29
1. Workout (Hank Mobley) 18:13
2. Up Over and Out (Hank Mobley) 26:59
3. Third Time Around (Hank Mobley) 16:16

CD3/37:24