Hank Mobley Copenhagen 1968

Claude Schlouch

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If this is the stuff I have on an old cassette, it sounds pretty horrible. The tape operator was clearly a fan of NHOP, as he is featured prominently in the "mix". As big of a Mobley fan as I am, I could do without it. You're not missing much.

I finally got a chance to stick my transfer in the car and I have to wonder what generation copy Kevin received. Hank is very present in the transfer I have and as noted, he really stretches out on most of these tracks. NHOP is not especially present though his solos are certainly 'right there'. If anything the only audio flaw I can identify is the wish that Kenny Drew was a little more present but even then I had no trouble listening to his solos while flying down I-95 at 70 MPH.

Its really not hard to rate this sound a B+, but if you really want nice sound on a live Hank gig you'll have to track down the radio broadcast of the set with Johnny Griffin. That sound is top-notch. This sound is pretty darn close.

NO, claude. wtf. ive been dying to understand the prdigree of this- you have a reel copy you received from japan 25 years ago? do you know how did they hook it up all the way in japan, who did they get it from? can you reval your source or if not that can u tell us the story of how you got it, without revealing your source?

god claude that reel copy must sound amazing. are you saying in your post, the sound of the reel compares to the sound of the cds? do you feel in your opinion could the sound q be improved significantly with a new quality mastering??

Hi folks,

Glad to let you know that my copy (originally on reel to reel received from Japan at least 25 years ago) and now on 2 MediaRange 100 minute CDR is of very acceptable quality sound if not good or more...

Have a good time!

Claude :Nod:

Edited by chewy

if any of you folks know claude and can relay it to him, tell him thank you for the new info about the source of this stuff. im still perplexed over how claudes copy is a reel dub from japan and not a reel dub from europe or somethin. i wonder who has the true master. i wanted to ask claude if he feels the reel could see significant improvement with the best HQ transfer you could do in 2013.....

• 3 years later...
4 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Is this the same stuff: https://www.dustygroove.com/item/719825?

If it is, the samples i listened to sounded a lot better than the old cassette I have. I wonder if I have another date on cassette?

Kevin

Track  titles seem to be the same as what I have on three CDRs from many years ago. But I found samples and I agree the MP3s sound much better. So maybe this was remastered from original tapes? That makes this intriguing to say the least.

4 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Track  titles seem to be the same as what I have on three CDRs from many years ago. But I found samples and I agree the MP3s sound much better. So maybe this was remastered from original tapes? That makes this intriguing to say the least.

I ordered it to hear it in real sound. The cassette I had sounded so poor that I could barely listen to it.

While I was at it, I ordered a new (to me) Tubby Hayes CD called "Interlude For Music": https://www.dustygroove.com/item/805241/Tubby-Hayes:Interlude-For-Music-Japanese-paper-sleeve-edition

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I ordered it to hear it in real sound. The cassette I had sounded so poor that I could barely listen to it.

While I was at it, I ordered a new (to me) Tubby Hayes CD called "Interlude For Music": https://www.dustygroove.com/item/805241/Tubby-Hayes:Interlude-For-Music-Japanese-paper-sleeve-edition

If you don't mind my asking what was the Groove's price on the Mobley? I found it at Eastwind Imports for $27, higher than CDJapan but cheaper when factoring in shipping.

And I also threw something in, Dexter Gordon Those Were The Days which I suspect is a better sounding version of the Moon CD.

6 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

If you don't mind my asking what was the Groove's price on the Mobley? I found it at Eastwind Imports for $27, higher than CDJapan but cheaper when factoring in shipping.

And I also threw something in, Dexter Gordon Those Were The Days which I suspect is a better sounding version of the Moon CD.

Dusty's price on the Mobley was $24.99, which is why I ordered from them instead of CD Japan, who have much higher shipping prices.

Strange that this was never released on a label like SteepleChase. See, for me that label always was the one to get a lot of live performances from US Masters with the best Danish/European/US-Expatriate musicians, like all those Dex in Radioland, those Brew Moore , all the Bud Powell stuff, so it seems strange to me that wasn´t released on SteepleChase.

18 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Would not recommend  getting the Dexter ''Those Were the Days' reissue. Sound is barely better.  The Japanese CD lacks two titles:  'Shadow of Your Smile' and 'Stuffy'.

The only thing better is the cover photo of Dexter Gordon by Jan Persson.