Hank Mobley Copenhagen 1968

Claude Schlouch

4 hours ago, brownie said:

Would not recommend  getting the Dexter ''Those Were the Days' reissue. Sound is barely better.  The Japanese CD lacks two titles:  'Shadow of Your Smile' and 'Stuffy'.

The only thing better is the cover photo of Dexter Gordon by Jan Persson. 

:excited: You're killin' me!   Already ordered and shipped. :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

leave it to the Dutch to protect it all these years and then facilitae a release when that become possible.  we definitely need to reach out to thank them and let them know we are happy about doing business with them.  will u guys who are up on these foreign jazz cd orde r sites, when u get more info can you post your experience ordering.  i thought it was a big deal to buy something internationally on discogs but that link you posted was somethin else....no way i was gonna put my credit card number in that

• 4 years later...

Bertrand was reminding me of this Copenhagen recording that was issued in Japan as "Hank Mobley with the Kenny Drew Trio - Blue Bossa", so I am spinning it again this morning. While this CD was definitely made from a better tape than the one I had for years, the sound still isn't great. What's funny is that on this CD, NHOP's bass is actually recessed, not boosted, so I have to wonder if the person I got my old cassette from was a bass fan. :) And while I hear Mobley "stretching out", I also hear him straining quite a bit. It makes me think that his lung problems were already limiting his playing. On fast tunes, he seems to chop off notes instead of playing in his usual flowing style.

I wonder when he started moaning after notes like he does in places here? I don't recall it happening on his live Messengers recordings. Maybe it was something he always did but he minimized it on those Jazz Messengers recordings?

23 minutes ago, bresna said:

It makes me think that his lung problems were already limiting his playing. On fast tunes, he seems to chop off notes instead of playing in his usual flowing style.

I thought that his lung problems were tied to specific medical event(s) in the 70s? 

25 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I thought that his lung problems were tied to specific medical event(s) in the 70s? 

Lung cancer isn't like a switch going off. By the 70's, it had supposedly limited his playing ability but there is a chance (likelihood?) that it was affecting him earlier as well. That's why I implied that this might be what we hear on these recordings.

48 minutes ago, bresna said:

Lung cancer isn't like a switch going off. By the 70's, it had supposedly limited his playing ability but there is a chance (likelihood?) that it was affecting him earlier as well. That's why I implied that this might be what we hear on these recordings.

I'm sure that's true ... but my recollection was it was the loss of a lung or a portion that really effected him? I didn't think specifically lung cancer but I am sure that makes sense.  Anyway I never thought he sounded inhibited on his last regular studio date, Breakthrough.  Different, but not inhibited.

• 3 weeks later...