Miles Davis - Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel CD set

Looking for a clean copy of the set. If anyone has a set they'd like to sell or can lead me to a set that's for sale other than what's listed on amazon, ebay etc would be greatly appreciated. Prefer set with box and booklet but would also be interested in set without box and/or booklet.

Thanks. Bob

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 weeks later...

$800 seems crazy unless a mega collector buys it. So $200 seems to be around the norm. I gotta sell some things and I'm avoiding music stuff if I can, mostly DVD's I no longer watch. The Plugged Nickel set is not in heavy rotation, but that music is so great, parting with it would be a huge regret

I've seen it go on eBay for as much as $800!

Usually goes for far less, but I recently let my fellow Jazz fan at work borrow my set and warned him not to try to sell it because I knew where he worked!

Seriously? I would never lent my set to anyone. A strange story you having to give out such a warning. "Oh, by the way, Scott, I sold that rare CD box you borrowed me. Here's your cut."

Isn't it about time this was reissued considering the number of threads around with people trying to get a copy and the prices asked for second hand sets? Do those blokes at Sony never read these boards?

I will buy a copy if it's reissued, but at the moment I'll make do with the lossless copy I made of the set held by my local library.

Isn't it about time this was reissued considering the number of threads around with people trying to get a copy and the prices asked for second hand sets? Do those blokes at Sony never read these boards?

I will buy a copy if it's reissued, but at the moment I'll make do with the lossless copy I made of the set held by my local library.

Definitely! They could easily reissue this as a cheapo set ... (and btw, at today' exchange rate, I paid around 200$ when I got my new copy in a local shop, sometime in the late 90s - but back then it would have been more like 130$ or so ... that also explains why Mosaic feels nearly like a cheapo label to me, these days ;))

I don't honestly think Sony cares what we want.

Well, they do cater to classical audiences, but then those are huge compared to jazz. Is Universal the only major still doing a little bit of jazz every other year? EMI is dead, Sony has stopped nearly a decade ago ... I sure am glad I caught the tail end of the eighties and was around for most of the nineties to buy tons and tons of reissues!

My fault for taking things too literally.

Don't worry, brother.

It's not like I have some kind of perfect track record when it comes to properly interpreting what people say... :blush:

I don't honestly think Sony cares what we want.

You're probably right, but it amazes me they could ignore what that box set is going for second hand!

I got mine from B & N a few moons ago for $115.

They could drop it right now for $175 a pop and sell the entire pressing out.

Definitely! They could easily reissue this as a cheapo set ... (and btw, at today' exchange rate, I paid around 200$ when I got my new copy in a local shop, sometime in the late 90s - but back then it would have been more like 130$ or so ... that also explains why Mosaic feels nearly like a cheapo label to me, these days ;))

Yeah, I remember picking up the Plugged Nickel set in Canada at A&B Sound during a 20% off sale and even then it was over $100. Worth every cent of course - to me it was like discovering the Rosetta Stone of Miles Davis, at the time.

Edited by sidewinder

Yeah, I remember picking up the Plugged Nickel set in Canada at A&B Sound during a 20% off sale and even then it was over $100. Worth every cent of course - to me it was like discovering the Rosetta Stone of Miles Davis, at the time.

It was great discovering how these tunes Miles had been playing through the years with his different bands were completely transformed by the time of the Plugged Nickel recordings. I believe it greatly helped me in my appreciation of this music, even though initially it was a bit overwhelming.

The second great quintet is still my favorite Miles Davis band. The first Davis albums I ever bought were Kind Of Blue, Sketches Of Spain, and Nefertiti. Good decision making for a lazy Sunday afternoon.