Miles Davis - Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel CD set

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The music is incredibly important and next to the Europe '67 box, the most radical document of how the band turns tunes inside out. It really has some of the best Wayne ever with that band as an improvisor. I guess important music doesn't = profit

That's why I sprung for $200 something. Important music.

I'm glad I did. I couldn't afford it now.

That set was one of the best bargains I ever got. I was hot to get it when first released, and I saw it somewhere for $129.99. I thought it was a little high, so I looked around and found it for $99.99 at J&R. I worked downtown then , so I was planning to buy it in a couple days. I was around Union square one evening and I happened into Discomat and their tiny jazz section, and lo and behold, $69.99! Got it on the spot!

It's a minor miracle it was ever issued in full...get it while you can! (words to live by)

Well, it has Miles written all over it .... if it was Monk, or any other Columbia artsist of that era, no chance. Miles and Trane are the only artists the majors will take a risk of such box sets.

..... and could it be that someone from the Miles estate is after such projects to collect royalties?

It's a minor miracle it was ever issued in full...get it while you can! (words to live by)

Well, it has Miles written all over it .... if it was Monk, or any other Columbia artsist of that era, no chance. Miles and Trane are the only artists the majors will take a risk of such box sets.

Yep - very sad that Sony didn't even get Basie right in 2004 ... and the same with Ellington - still too many open gaps there in the fifties and sixites - here's hope for another Mosaic box dedicated to ducal sounds!

That set was one of the best bargains I ever got. I was hot to get it when first released, and I saw it somewhere for $129.99. I thought it was a little high, so I looked around and found it for $99.99 at J&R. I worked downtown then , so I was planning to buy it in a couple days. I was around Union square one evening and I happened into Discomat and their tiny jazz section, and lo and behold, $69.99! Got it on the spot!

I got it as an anniversary present. I know she bought it at our bigger independent CD shop and as I recall it was going for about $120 at the time. Best present I ever got or certainly one of them as it was a surprise and just what I always wanted. No having to pretend at all in my excitement, no siree. Many years later the prices of Miles box sets (and CDs in general) started dropping in price and maybe once or twice I thought "A gee, it was probably too bad that she bought that for me as it might end up selling for $50." Nope, instead it became one of the rare CD sets that went up in price.

There's talk on the other thread of the Billie Holiday set going OOP, it's obviously still available because my wife (bless her) bought it for me a couple of Christmases ago so perhaps there's a faint hope of a Plugged Nickel reissue (?). There have been plenty of Miles Davis box sets issued in the not too distant past, not least the giant 70CD set with the glue problems. We can only hope.

This thread reminded me that I have a Plugged Nickel set that I've been meaning to offer for sale. I wound up with a second copy of this set a while back, and that's one more than I need. I bought it used in the late 1990s, and the discs are in very nice shape, most appearing nearly new with only very faint signs of use, if any. Jewel cases are in good shape, except the inner tray hinge of the one containing two discs has come loose, so you have to be careful with that one when removing the disc on the bottom side of the tray. Booklet has a faint bend across it, noticeable but it's not as pronounced as a fold. Box is OK, structurally sound with no seam splits but it does have some shelf wear on the bottom and a moderate crease across the upper part of one side (see attached pic).

$125 including shipping to US addresses. I will ship internationally but will need to know the destination before I can provide a total.

PM and post here if interested.

post-1288-0-72229300-1372716789_thumb.jp