The cassette vs. the Rest of the World debate

David Ayers

Maxell XLII was my go to blank tape. Those actually did sound pretty decent.

I used to get that squeal you're talking about. It always came from the tape spindle, but never from the tape itself.

Correct, and it can be erased by oiling the spindles. Not as diffcult as it sounds, but you need to be careful.

Some of the metal type tapes exchange for princely sums now. I am talking about 60 Euros plus.

There's still a vibrant cassette community out there.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maxell XLII was my go to blank tape. Those actually did sound pretty decent.

I used to get that squeal you're talking about. It always came from the tape spindle, but never from the tape itself.

Still got a box full of that stuff (both recorded and blank) in the attic ! :cool:

The cassette culture was a different world: the record was considered for plebs, the audiophile was using the cassette deck.

When the heck was that era. I never encountered it.

Well, sales for one: cassettes were out selling records. I was somewhat tongue in cheek there, because I didn't know any audiophiles back then!

But the humble cassette for a long time was out selling vinyl and there was a lot of rubbish pressings in the 80s, remember how flexible Virgin pressing were?

K7s are almost certainly STILL outselling vinyl worldwide. The size of the African markets in number of units (not value of sales) is effin' enormous. I don't doubt that's true of other 3rd world regions.

MG

Inspired by this thread I walked into a local electronics supermarkt this afternoon after work and bought a X4-TECH cassette-to-MP3 unit for € 25 - not that bad. It comes with Audacity as processing software - that's good enough for me.

Edited by mikeweil

My 2006 Transit van has a cassette player in it, which I find odd, as cassettes seem to have been hopelessly outdated for decades.

I don't use cassettes at all now, but I've certainly had plenty of them in my car over the years, recorded from (other people's) records or CDs.

Edited by rdavenport