New Pops on the way

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for all the great feedback, everyone! I hear ya, Paul; I sure didn't think the process would be so complicated! If anyone's read my original blog on the subject, I nagged Scott to do the set about once a year every year from 2007 until he gave in in 2011. I knew what the set would be comprised of because I knew the Armstrong discography backwards (and I had some of the unissued stuff on bootlegs given to me by European collectors). But I really thought that I'd lay it out, Scott would order it all from Sony, we'd lounge around in a studio for a few days listening to everything and finally throw the final choices over to the engineer and just sit and wait for it to be done.

Well, as the above tales show, it wasn't remotely like that. After our first trip to Sony when they only had about half the things I thought would be there, I knew this was going to be a bumpy ride. And it has been but like I said, we keep narrowly escaping disaster!

One more story because it seems like everyone is enjoying them: Columbia released about three tracks from Louis's 1958 Newport set on an old 2-LP sampler from the 80s. This included a big band version of "Sunny Side of the Street." When we ordered all the tapes from Sony, we got Louis's 1958 Newport set with the All Stars, but it didn't include "Sunny Side." Then Sony found the tapes that were made of the 1980s Newport sampler and there it was. Great. Andreas transferred it and it sounded good enough for me.

Well, then we got to Louis's set with the All Stars. The original reels from the concert had some microphone issues--a little distortion when Louis sang but nothing horrifying--but otherwise , it was beautiful stereo sound. I don't know if I've mentioned this, but Mosaic is also doing a 4-LP set of just the 1956 and 1958 Newport shows. Watching Andreas transfer everything using these analog machines was like going to engineering school.

We finished the All Stars' set and I thought that was that...but Andreas was hung up on "Sunny Side." Because it was from the 1980s compilation, it didn't sound quite as good as the All Stars's set and he was afraid it would be noticeable on the high quality LP set. My ears aren't that nuanced so I left it in his hands. He didn't want to quit so he called Sony and asked them to double check. They did and nothing was coming up. So he told them that the Armstrong set reel number ended, I think, with 32. Did they have 31? They did but it said Chico Hamilton. He ordered it and Sony overnighted it. And sure enough, after Hamilton's entire set, the last six minutes on the reel included "Sunny Side" as originally recorded, in perfect sound! Another eleventh hour miracle.

So there you have it...again. This is was Mosaic does; I know I'll never complain about their prices, haha. And thanks for letting me share these types of stories. My gigantic notes focus on Louis and the music, nothing about the process of putting the set together so I'm glad to be able to share some of my battle stories!

Andreas is returning from vacation tomorrow so I expect the final masters to start appearing at my doorstep in the next week or two. Once Scott and I approve, it's go time! Stay tuned...

Yours in Pops,

Ricky

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all! If anyone's still following the saga of the upcoming Louis Armstrong Mosaic set I'm co-producing, Scott Wenzel told me that they're putting a June 1 street date on it. My blog has all the grisly details (including some stories I've already told in this forum). But since I posted it, I submitted the corrections to the booklet galley (50 in all!) and Scott and I agreed that there's only two tweaks to make from an audio standpoint, so we're really, really close. Thanks for all the interest!

http://dippermouth.blogspot.com/2014/03/here-and-now-and-looking-ahead-to.html

Yours in Pops,

Ricky

Well, the LP edition is only going to be of the two Newport concerts, 1956 and 1958, making it a 4-LP set. The complete 9-CD set (which weighs in at 11 hours) won't be available as entire vinyl set. Sorry to break the news but hope it makes your decision easier!

Ricky

Well, the LP edition is only going to be of the two Newport concerts, 1956 and 1958, making it a 4-LP set. The complete 9-CD set (which weighs in at 11 hours) won't be available as entire vinyl set. Sorry to break the news but hope it makes your decision easier!

Ricky

Hadn't realised that there was such a difference between the two formats. Are the Newport sets the core of the collection

I wouldn't call them the core. They make up 2 of the 9 discs. It's a solid two-and-a-half hours of music, and maybe 20-30 minutes of it has ever been issued before. Great sets and if you're a vinyl collector, I've been assured that the vinyl will sound tremendous….but you'll be missing a LOT of the other gems (the core of the set is probably everything George Avakian recorded for "Ambassador Satch," unedited, stripped of fake applause (for the most part), with alternate takes and unissued performance…none of that is on the LP set).

Ricky

These details about how a set is put together and all the challenges and surprises are invaluable. Sometimes I put off a Mosaic purchase because it seems expensive but when I understand all the work involved, the price becomes a bargain.

Edited by TedR

Thanks for the info and for all of the careful work you and Mosaic are putting into this release. I'm ashamed to say that I usually just enjoy Mosaics when I listen to them and don't even think about all of the work that led to their existence.

Yep, sometimes I also forget what a wonderful time we live in as far as obtaining, collecting etc and having a company like Mosaic is a blessing for junkies like myself. Thanks for the update and post Ricko

• 3 weeks later...

You guys are quick! Haha…thanks for spreading the word. I was waiting for Mosaic to make the official announcement but they slipped it on their website overnight and I started getting people telling me on Facebook that they've already pre-ordered it this morning. So yeah……go crazy, folks, go crazy!

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=257-MD-CD

Thanks for putting up with my breathless updates over the past year….hope the set lives up to it!

Yours in Pops,

Ricky

You guys are quick! Haha…thanks for spreading the word. I was waiting for Mosaic to make the official announcement but they slipped it on their website overnight and I started getting people telling me on Facebook that they've already pre-ordered it this morning. So yeah……go crazy, folks, go crazy!

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=257-MD-CD

Thanks for putting up with my breathless updates over the past year….hope the set lives up to it!

Yours in Pops,

Ricky

I love earlier Armstrong but haven't really engaged much with this period of his music . Your enthusiasm for this set is infectious (in a good way). Ordered .,!

Hi Crisp. I actually think the Mosaic set isn't 100% ready yet. They made it go live yesterday but they still haven't sent out any announcements. I've noticed that the main pic of the box isn't up and the discography "thank-you's" are for an early draft. Keep checking and I'm sure it'll be straight soon. Thanks all!

Ricky