New Pops on the way

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just read the Mosaic newsletter that has Ricky's Organissimo post. When he posted here, Louis' vocals at Newport from the VOA mic hadn't been spliced in by Andreas Meyer. Assuming it's been done I was curious if Ricky and others at Mosaic were pleased with the result. This set is a must buy for me. I have none of this live material (I can't believe that's true) and to have Teagarden and his vocals and Hackett et al. with Armstrong, all live, is too much. Life is too short not to start enjoying this music as soon as possible. Listening to the Sony 4 disc Hot Fives/Sevens while I type.

Hi Ted! I'm happy to answer that YES, Andreas's results with Newport 1956 are stunning. In fact, if I didn't run my mouth so much about all the problems with the Columbia and Voice of America tapes, I'm not sure anyone would have ever noticed. I still have my reference copy of the Columbia tapes; perhaps I'll make a before-and-after edit for my blog so you can hear Andreas's handiwork. Stay tuned...

Yours in Pops,

Ricky

I LOVE the Scandinavian set and have begged people to buy it for years. I still stand by that but the Mosaic set is different. For me, I feel the Armstrong-Trummy Young-Edmond Hall band was the finest edition of the All Stars. They have some great moments on the Storyville box but it's less than an hour. On the Mosaic, that band is front and center for 6 of the 9 discs, so if you like that edition, this is heaven. There's also all the stuff that went into the making of "Ambassador Satch," these kinds of "live-but-not-really-live" dates where the All Stars play songs that were never issued, sometimes existing in multiple takes. And while the Scandinavian concerts are all terrific, the Mosaic has more EVENTS: the historic 1947 Town Hall concert, 90 unissued minutes of a November 1947 Carnegie Hall concert, Newport 1956, Lewisohn Stadium with Leonard Bernstein (my favorite sequence on the box), Newport 1958 reunion with Teagarden and Hackett, the famous 1956 "Chicago Concert," etc. Throw in the offstage interviews of Louis by Edward R. Murrow and George Avakian and the Mosaic set presents a complete picture of Louis onstage and off during this prime period.

If you can't afford the Mosaic box, the Scandinvian set is a great substitute (hell, every civilian should have both in a perfect world!) but this Mosaic box should be the last word on the 1947-58 All Stars and if you're looking for 75 unreleased tracks on an 11 hour set, well, it's the way to go!

Yours in Pops,

Ricky

I have the day off today and both my kids are taking a nap so I just knocked out this blog with links to all my previous writings on the Mosaic set and as a bonus, inspired by TedR, a little audio edit so you can compare how Newport 1956 sounded when all we had were the Columbia reels and how it sounds now after Andreas Meyer spliced the Voice of America vocals into them. Enjoy!

http://dippermouth.blogspot.com/2014/05/jazz-times-profile-and-one-step-closer.html

Yours in Pops,

Ricky

I have the day off today and both my kids are taking a nap so I just knocked out this blog with links to all my previous writings on the Mosaic set and as a bonus, inspired by TedR, a little audio edit so you can compare how Newport 1956 sounded when all we had were the Columbia reels and how it sounds now after Andreas Meyer spliced the Voice of America vocals into them. Enjoy!

http://dippermouth.blogspot.com/2014/05/jazz-times-profile-and-one-step-closer.html

Yours in Pops,

Ricky

Just finished reading your Blog. Great info, Thank you Ricky. I liked the clip provided for VOA vocals at newport. I agree-- Andreas nailed it!!

• 3 weeks later...

I got a shipping notice as well. Awesome!

Also received Shipping notice for the Armstrong and I also picked up the Artie Shaw, Very happy camper :) Just received a Box from Resonance Records with the Freddie Hubbard (Pinnacle-CD) and Wes Montgomery (Echoes of Indiana Ave-LP) and the Bill Evans (Top of The Gate lp)

Edited by gslade

Mine finally arrived today. Spent a wonderful hour plus listening to disc 1, the Town Hall Concert. I had the 2-LP Black and White album, but this set now supplants it. What a great concert that was! For a Teagarden fan like me, it's a special pleasure. I'm with the others, Ricky, great job on the booklet and the set as a whole!

gregmo