New Pops on the way

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes it is. I still don't have an answer for why the track listing is not on the website. I wrote to Scott a few days ago and he said he'd look into it. Keep checking and if I see it first, I'll share the link. Thanks!

Ricky

No problem, glad it's there in the box.

My box arrived today (Australia)

Have listened to disc 1 (Town Hall) & very happy with SQ (though I don't have anything older to compare it to)

The booklet is a treasure-trove of information - some of Avakian's anecdotes/reminiscences are a real hoot

what a gem of a box

Quick note for those in the New York area: the Louis Armstrong House Museum in Corona, Queens (where I'm the Archivist) is now selling the Mosaic set in its gift shop. Same $149 price, but if you're in NY, want to see Pops's house and pick up the set without paying extra for shipping, come on down to 34-56 107th Street. (And when I get back next week, I'll sign all the liner notes booklets for the sets we're selling, if anyone's interested.) S'all for now...enjoy!

Yours in Pops,

Ricky

Quick note for those in the New York area: the Louis Armstrong House Museum in Corona, Queens (where I'm the Archivist) is now selling the Mosaic set in its gift shop. Same $149 price, but if you're in NY, want to see Pops's house and pick up the set without paying extra for shipping, come on down to 34-56 107th Street. (And when I get back next week, I'll sign all the liner notes booklets for the sets we're selling, if anyone's interested.) S'all for now...enjoy!

Yours in Pops,

Ricky

I really enjoyed my visit to the Armstrong house last fall. Highly recommended! Wish I was closer so I could get Ricky to sign my book!

gregmo

I'd not really listened closely to late Armstrong until this set came along ( does this set really count as late ?) . Ive had and enjoyed the Columbia Satch Plays Fats and Handy albums for years and enjoyed them but that's about it. Armstrong still could play and the sets are expertly paced and all in good taste. No filler in this set.

I've only just started delving into this set, but I have to say that the notes are really making it for me. I have a far greater appreciation of the music knowing the context of how they came about, how Louis was perceived at the time, and the roles of Glaser and Avakian. Looking forward to the rest of the set.

Thank you, Trevor and Lon! And to touch on Clunky's question about whether this is really "late" Armstrong, for many years, the majority of those in the jazz community seemed to feel that anything after 1928 constituted late Armstrong! And also that "later" meant "inferior." Fortunately, with sets like this one, that level of thinking is eroding (not entirely, but it's on its way….). Thanks again!

Ricky

Yours in Pops,

Ricky

Hi Ricky,

I actually work in Corona at the NY Hall of Science. I spent a terrific day at the Queens College archives several years ago but for some stupid reason have never visited the house. Will have to do that one day soon. Was listening this morning to the All Stars studio set and soon afterwards pulled the trigger on your new live set. Take care, and thanks again for all your tremendous work. We'll have to lunch one day. You ever been to Nixtamal? Best, Lee

Hey Lee! Man, you should pick up your signed copy of the set and take a tour of Pops's House at the same time! Regardless, I'm happy you pulled the trigger and really hope you enjoy it (thanks for the kind words). The Archives at Queens College are my domain so if you ever want to come back, just say the word (I'm at dippermouth@msn.com). And Nixtamal's the greatest!

Thanks , Gate, and to meet one day!

Ricky

Hey Lee! Man, you should pick up your signed copy of the set and take a tour of Pops's House at the same time! Regardless, I'm happy you pulled the trigger and really hope you enjoy it (thanks for the kind words). The Archives at Queens College are my domain so if you ever want to come back, just say the word (I'm at dippermouth@msn.com). And Nixtamal's the greatest!

Thanks , Gate, and to meet one day!

Ricky

Sounds good. Hope to meet u someday soon.

Lee

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The 1958 Newport set is in stereo. That's all of disc 9 and the last cut on disc 8. Is this mentioned in the notes and I just missed it?

Ambassador Satch may have been the first jazz Lp I ever bought. Got it when it was first released so this set has a lot of nostalgia for me.