Get well soon, Mulgrew Miller

fasstrack

I had no idea he had suffered a stroke previously. I really hope he pulls through with no lasting effects. There were seemingly countless neo-bopper recordings I've purchased with 'Grew in the rhythm section. He was like a Good Housekeeping seal of approval.

Really a great pianist, saw him an several occasions....

Mulgrew is a really excellent musician. The first time I got to see him was with Woody Shaw. Then with Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers I think. On the third occasion that I can recall, he had his own lineup - touring his 'Hand In Hand' CD.

Edited by sidewinder

I saw Mulgrew perform a few months ago and he sounded great. I didn't know he had a prior stroke. Dick Conte on KCSM just mentioned Mulgrew's stroke, which brought me here. This makes me very sad. Here's hoping he bounces back. We're all rooting for you, Mulgrew!

Edited by Tom 1960

Very fine pianist indeed. Only caught him live once, in a four piano affair, first him and Kenny Barron, then Benny Green and (I think) Eric Reid - and finally an encore with all four of them. The older guys taught the younger ones plenty of lessons that night!

All the best to Mulgrew Miller, hope he'll recover and lighten up our days many more years!

One of my favorite living jazz pianists. Hope he recovers and is able to return to the keyboard.

Agreed. Again, his chops are so great that the fact he's so good is subtle. One of my fav. solos by him is on Tony's "Angel Street", the studio version. Also "Third Quadrant" on Kenny Garrett's maligned "Simply Said". Think I'll pull out "Live at the Kennedy Center, Vol. 2"

Edited by CJ Shearn