R.I.P. Ed Shaughnessy

ValerieB

he looks -way- older and skinnier than when i saw him 12 years ago at a clinic. seein the pic today is almost more sad than hearing the horrible news last night. he was very nice to everybody at the clinic and was willing to talk about whatever anyone wanted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZyO_qU6QH4

has everybody heard him jammin w/ jimi?

Considering the small percentage of people who go out of their way to actively listen to jazz, think of how many people in the US heard those amazing drum fills of his every night of the week going into and out of commercial ads.

RIP.

EDIT: I might add that Ed played drums on one of the greatest albums ever made, Mundell Lowe's "Satan in High Heels."

I will spin this in his honor, along with volumes 1 and 2 of TV ACTION JAZZ!

Edited by Teasing the Korean

I know him best for his work with Teddy Charles, and really enjoy what he contributed.

Yeah that´s where I heard him first: that date with Teddy Charles from about 1952, where they do also a weird version of Night in Tunisia. It´s on the second side of that strange record "Lee Konitz-Miles Davis"