A/V Question

Alexander Hawkins

This is one of those 'please only use short words, I don't really understand' questions!

So...

At present, I have a fairly good, but nevertheless very entry-level hifi system; amp + cd player + speakers.

I have, however, also been given another pair of smaller speakers, but of the same make; such that if I buy the sub-woofer, I'll have the package which KEF used to sell as their home-cinema speaker system.

Given that I'm on a tight budget(!), what would be the minimum amount of equipment which I would need to be able to watch DVDs with surround sound?

I realise that obviously it will need a DVD player and a TV; I'm just not sure about the amp situation, etc.

Please no-one go to any trouble to answer this, but if the solution is simple, I would be very pleased to hear it!

Thanks in advance!

If you want surround sound while watching movies, you will need (2) front speakers, (1) center channel, (2) surround speakers and a subwoofer. In order to power the 5.1 speakers you will need a dolby digital/Dts capable receiver. Many are available in the $200-300 range. Check out Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon and Pioneer, they all make good budget level surround receivers. Hope this helps.