SHM and Blu Spec CD's

ArtSalt

I've done a fair amount of research on various blogs and forums on the Japanese SHM and Blu Spec formats and the verdict seems to be in that its the remastering that really counts, its only 0's and 1's and it cannot practically make a difference, etc, etc......

And yet, in the spirit of adventure, I recently purchased some SHM and Blu Spec CDs from Japan and considering some of them are only 16bit remasters, they play essentially like a good mastered 24bit and there's a definitely more differentiation and stage depth to the sound. I don't own any 16bit CDs that can stand up against 24bit, so in my considered opinion, there is a discernable difference.

Anyone else had any positive experience and verdict on these formats?

If you'd like to do a fair comparison of SHM versus standard CD, the following Coltrane SHM CDs have the same mastering as the recent Kevin Reeves Impulse! Originals remasters:

Live at the Village Vanguard (UCCU-6069)

Impressions (UCCU-6154)

Live at Birdland (UCCU-6163)

I verified this by making a secure rip and comparing CRC32 hash codes. I already suspected as much after listening with my Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Not all Japanese SHM Coltrane CDs have the same mastering as the Originals/Hip-O Select titles, e.g. Transition (UCCI-9202), Sun Ship (UCCI-9204), Meditations (UCCI-9209).

I started collecting Coltrane SHM CDs for the different mastering and titles not included in the Originals/ Hip-O series.

Edited by erwbol