Mulgrew Miller R.I.P.

Stereojack

Received this a few minutes ago:

Friends,

Mulgrew Miller left us early this morning. The following is from David Demsey, his colleague of many years at William Paterson University:
----------
Although I know we were all at least partially prepared for this, I know you will be shocked and saddened to know that Mulgrew Miller has died, early this morning, from the effects of a massive stroke he suffered last Wednesday. I think I speak for everyone in the Program that we lost a true giant, a dear friend, a mentor, a beautiful partner in leading this Program, a consummate musician, an inspired teacher and one of my favorite players, on any instrument. Our hearts and prayers go out to his wonderful family, including his wife Tanya and his daughter Leilani (who some of you know as a WP alumnus). As many of you remember, Mulgrew had what we would now think of as a "minor" stroke incident two years ago November, blood pressure related. Since that time, he had really been taking care of himself; he was taking blood pressure medication, had lost weight, had taken to a completely vegetarian diet, and had made his touring schedule more manageable. Knowing all that, this stroke came out of the blue. Everything happened as it should have at the outset; he was rushed to a local hospital quickly, and just as quickly was airlifted to Lehigh Valley Cedar Crest, a large teaching hospital near their home with a well-known neuro-stroke unit. But there was too much bleeding that could not be stopped, and he never regained consciousness or the ability to breathe on his own. The family and doctors made the decision to remove the ventilator yesterday evening, and he passed away early this morning. The toughest part for all of us is the suddenness, with no chance to say goodbye. For most of us, our last talk with Mulgrew was when we all wished one another a good summer break a couple of weeks ago. I had been in touch with him every few days since school ended, but that didn't make this any easier. Now, we are all asking ourselves what we can do to carry on Mulgrew's legacy in September. My answer: be here and be present, as a musician, as a student and as a person. Perhaps even more than his musical peers who played with him, you as his students are the individuals who will most notably carry on his memory. It is a great responsibility, and it is my honor to share it with you. Mulgrew and I (and, ironically, the late James Williams and I) always said to one other that, thanks to the strength of the students and faculty, this Jazz Program has its own momentum and is more powerful than any one or ten people; I never thought that we would prove it under these circumstances, but I am sure that we will, together. I will send more updates when I have information about memorial services. Thank you, again, for your wonderful, positive thoughts and messages to Mulgrew and his family over the past six days; I have relayed all of them and your presence in that way means everything to his family, and to Mulgrew.

Dr. David Demsey
Coordinator of Jazz Studies
Professor of Music
Curator, Living Jazz Archives
William Paterson University

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when I first heard Mulgrew Miller on Ron Carter's The Golden Striker. In the liner notes, a caption mistakenly identifies Mulgrew Miller as Russell Malone. I thought to myself that the guitarist's hands were massive. When I discovered that the caption was mistaken, I wasn't surprised to find out that the pianist was the possessor of those hands. Although those massive hands could display great power, it was Miller's incredible sensitivity and versatility that made him such a remarkable musician.

I never got to see him perform in person, which is something I will forever regret. I missed him twice in one day at the 2010 Detroit Jazz Festival. I missed his early set with the William Paterson University Jazz Septet because I had just arrived and was waiting at a different stage for another band to start, catching the end of a local group's set. I missed his late set with Wingspan because the weather had caught us unprepared and we were uncomfortably cold, so we went back to Cleveland early. I never could've guessed that I wouldn't have another chance to see him perform.

Although he left us way too soon, he leaves behind an extensive discography for us to treasure. I'd like to offer my condolences to his family, friends and fans. Thank you, Mr. Miller.
Edited by Justin V

Tragic, absolutely tragic. Very sorry to hear this shocking news. A few years ago he was one of the main artists at the Detroit Jazz Festival, and I saw him play a wonderful, almost sweet, mostly solo set. Later I saw him interviewed and really enjoyed his intelligent and deeply knowledgeable insights on the state of jazz, on the playing of music in general, and on the state of music education.

Edited by Al in NYC

Though he wasn't the leader, this treasured soundboard recording (details down below, with the leader being the only horn) allows for a TON of really great Mulgrew soloing. I'll be spinning this, and several Miller leader-dates this evening and the rest of this week in his honor. Never got the chance to hear Mulgrew in person, but he was definitely a favorite, clearly one of the greatest pianists of his generation. I think I have about 5 or 6 of his own leader-dates, and what must easily be 15 or maybe 20 others as a sideman. RIP.

Woody Shaw Quartet
Bremen, 18 January 1983

Woody Shaw – tp
Mulgrew Miller – p
Stafford James – b
Tony Reedus – d

Disc One:
1) You and the Night and the Music (14:37)
2) Rahsaan’s Run (W Shaw) (13:50)
3) Eastern Joy Dance (M Miller) (16:00)
4) Pressing the Issue (M Miller) (10:55)

Total time – 55:23

Disc Two:
1) Organ Grinder (W Shaw) (13:04)
2) Katrina Ballerina (W Shaw) (13:42)
3) Diane (10:11)
4) 400 Years Ago Tomorrow (12:26)
5) Sweet Love of Mine (W Shaw) (9:52)

Total time – 59:17

Oh damn, what can one say? Just really glad that I got to hear him play at those formative points in his career (Shaw Quintet, Wingspan) and for that fine music and great evenings spent - thank you, Mulgrew. A real class act as pianist, composer and band-leader and a great guy by all accounts. He will be missed - RIP.

Edited by sidewinder

When I saw Mulgrew on Woody Shaw's band ( the one with Steve Turre & Carter Jefferson ), and the one mentioned in post#12 there was no doubt in my mind that Mulgrew Miller was going to make his mark for years to come!

From those times forward, I rarely missed a chance to see him as he attained a very special level few ever do....RIP

Edited by Mike Schwartz

I saw him for the first time in 1979 at the Earle, a small club in Ann Arbor. He was backing Betty Carter. Betty said his first name very slowly, as if she was unsure how to pronounce it. After one song I knew I would not forget him. He was instantly compelling and memorable. (I was sorting out my old flyers for jazz concerts and noticed that I saw this group the night after a Roscoe Mitchell solo alto saxophone concert in Ann Arbor--there was more of a jazz scene on certain campuses back then).

I saw him live several other times over the years. Once he was in a Blakey tribute band, for which Benny Golson was the informal master of ceremonies. Golson stated when each member was in the Blakey band, and guessed Mulgrew's tenure wrong by over ten years, stating that he had been in the band in 1960, when Mulgrew would have been about five years old. I remember Mulgrew's good natured grin as Benny quickly apologized.

He stood out in the Contemporary Piano Ensemble, an early 1990s group in which four grand pianos shared the stage, played by Mulgrew, Harold Mabern, Geoff Keezer and James Williams, with Christian McBride on bass and Tony Redus on drums.

He was an excellent musician and I will miss his playing.

Edited by Hot Ptah