Mulgrew Miller R.I.P.

Stereojack

I'm really glad to have seen Mulgrew perform a few months ago. He performed in a trio with students from William Patterson University. It was a fun night. I had the opportunity to briefly chat with Mulgrew after the show at a meet and greet across the street from the venue. I got him to sign my cd as well. It makes me sad that he was taken far too early. Well at least we have his music and there's a lot of it out there. Thanks Mulgrew!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truly horrible news.

I remember seeing Mulgrew Miller back on October 14, 1989 in Boston (just pulled out the program) as part of a tribute that James Williams (someone else who left us far too young) put together in remembrance of Phineas Newborn Jr. The program consisted of performances by 11 different pianists, many of whom had some Memphis connection.

Based on my annotations, the order of performance was:

John Medesky

Katy Roberts

Russell Wilson

James Williams

Art Mathews

Donald Brown

Geoff Keezer

Joanne Brackeen

Mulgrew Miller

Dave McKenna

Harold Mabern

Quite a collection!

Very tragic news. I am pleased that I had the opportunity to see Mulgrew perform live in a few different settings. Once as a solo pianist, another time in a trio , and most recently here in Tucson with his group that included vibes, 2 horns, bass and drums.

Jazz has lost a master musician.

Mulgrew was the one that first started me thinking about this topic: there simply are no "wrong" notes. One of the things that Mulgrew excelled at was making "wrong" notes sound right. It simply has to do with the context in which you use these wrong notes; i.e., the notes and phrases you surround the wrong notes with.

This is hard to verbalize!

Of all the tribute statements flying around the web now, one that resonated with me the most was said by the late James Williams. Speaking about Mulgrew many years ago, James said "He is the state of the art in jazz piano playing."

RIP Mulgrew.

George Z

WKCR memorial broadcast, Thursday May 30th

Tune in as we commemorate the life and art of pianist Mulgrew Miller. Born in Mississippi in 1955, Miller was inspired by Oscar Peterson to study jazz piano. Miller's work as a sideman is most impressive, he was a part of Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers, worked recently with bassist Ron Carter, and spent many years collaborating with trumpeter Woody Shaw. His work as a bandleader is equally important, most often leading trios and his group Wingspan. Miller had been director of Jazz Studies at William Patterson University since 2005.

I remember his playing with Woody Shaw early in 1983. Anyway, he was very much in action and anybody who attended live concerts, sure had the chance to hear him.

Such a great pianist, great musician.

I saw him at least with Art Blakey several times, with Woody Shaw of course, and with Benny Golson-Curtis Fuller (this might have been the last time I saw him, around 2000 I think.

Always wondered why he didn´t appear more often during the last years.

So called "Jazz Festivals" in my country got all those "Jamie Cullums and Jane Monheits" but they missed to feature really jazz artists. I often wondered why they didn´t feature people who really p l a y jazz.....