Mulgrew Miller R.I.P.

Stereojack

Saw him in Lovano's quartet in Baltimore many years ago. A true master and a gentle giant who should have had many more years of making wonderful music.

I shook hands with him the time we taped and interview and my hand just disappeared....dwarfed my Mulgrew's!

Edited by Mike Schwartz

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nicholas payton remembers grew------------

http://nicholaspayton.wordpress.com/2013/06/01/grew-stepped-out-of-a-dream-a-few-words-on-mulgrew-miller/

" he never snubbed others and, at a certain point in his journey, was willing to play with just about anyone — free of judgment. I remember years ago at a jam session we were all playing some tunes and this cat from a well-known alternative Black rock band approached the stage to sit in. Most of the guys split the stage posthaste, myself included, because our elitist, jazz attitudes wanted no parts of this dude. So ol’ boy got on the mic and said, “I guess it’s time for a little acapella,” which is to perform without accompaniment. Not so. Mulgrew not only stayed on stage, but proceeded to play with this dude while he did an abstract poem that at one point resolved with him chanting “Love,” while flashing the peace sign, followed by “Hate,” while he flashed half of a peace sign. Though the spoken word performance was highly questionable — behind it — Mulgrew was comping his ass off! He taught us all a big lesson that night about how you can elevate your surroundings through simplicity and sincerity of expression."

Edited by alocispepraluger102

The Daily Telegraph has an obituary posted today. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/culture-obituaries/music-obituaries/10094571/Mulgrew-Miller.html

I'd completely forgotten that I'd seen him perform with the Tony Williams Quintet, as well. The comment about 'Interview Music' is spot on.

Edited by sidewinder

a very special tribute to Mulgrew from Spike Wilner of Small's:

"Hello My Friends: Our music has lost a giant. Mulgrew Miller, one of the true recognized and respected masters of this music has passed away tragically young. Only 58 years old, Mulgrew died this week from a massive stroke. There are few artists who were as beloved as Mulgrew Miller by the community of musicians and fans. His gentle and soft-spoken demeanor touched everyone that knew him. He epitomized consummate modesty, graciousness and humorous self-effacement. At the piano, he was unequaled. He style was fully hewn from the tradition of Jazz, Blues and ballads but with an absolutely modern outlook and original composing voice. From a pianistic point of view he was flawless - a touch that could be as gentle as a whisper or blow you out of the water and always, always swinging.

I heard Mulgrew for the first time when I was 19. He was at the Blue Note with Woody Shaw's band. This was one of the very first Jazz shows I had ever seen and it blew my mind. I was dumbfounded by it all - everyone was so serious in that band! A few months later, I saw him again playing at the Village Gate in a duet. I sat right next to the keyboard and tried to take in everything I could. When the set ended, Mulgrew came up to me and in the friendliest manner possible said; "you must be a piano player". I couldn't even believe he was speaking to me but I mustered a "how did you know?" Mulgrew's response; "I can see your ears"!

I'm proud to say that years later I had the opportunity to record Mulgrew twice for SmallsLIVE - once with Neal Smith's group and most recently with Joe Magnarelli's release. I got to know him personally. The photo above, taken by Michelle Watt for the date, was taken just a few months ago right in front of Smalls.

The loss of Mulgrew Miller is a serious one for this music. It leaves a huge hole in the landscape. As time passes and we lose our masters we also lose our leadership and inspiration. This is a time when all serious Jazz musicians need to take stock of themselves and understand that time is of the essence. We must all aspire to masterhood and then to share what we have with others if the tradition of this music is to continue. We must also pay attention to the ideals that someone like Mulgrew set - that is to say, modesty, a humble attitude, a spiritual outlook and complete mastery of the instrument and the language. Also, to have the spirit to give and teach. All these things were what Mulgrew Miller was about.

Rest in peace, Mulgrew Miller - you were a gentleman, an artist and a scholar. Losing you is a tough one. You will be sorely missed."

Thanks for posting this Valerie...saw it at the other board as well.

I had the saxophonist Mark Gross on the show yesterday.

Mulgrew is on his first 2 recordings.

I asked him to talk about him as both a musician & as a person; the answer came back and the entire time (I'm sitting in the studio behind a microphone) was breaking out in goosebumps....very moving, loving, and emotional.

I seeded the earlier part of the program with the purpose of illustrating Mulgrew's brilliance as a supporting player; a sideman.

His albums as a leader comprise a relatively small catalog, and I played from a number of those the week earlier when he suffered the stroke.

I played Mulgrew on albums from Woody Shaw, Greg Osby, Charles McPherson, Gregory Tardy, Dizzy Gillespie All- Stars, Donald Harrison, Dave Holland Sextet , Kenny Garrett, and finally Mulgrew Miller & Wingspan [1987]