2013 NHL Playoffs

My favorite was not strictly a a player fight, though it started out that way.

It's the 1979 Bruins-Rangers brawl at MSG, in which Bruins players went into the stands to fight Ranger fans, and "Mad Mike" Milbury (later to become the worst-ever NHL general manager) wound up beating a Ranger fan over the head with his own shoe! I watched live (on TV) - it was surreal!

Print story at http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/23/sports/hockey/23brawl.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Plenty of video out there, too.

Edited by T.D.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a sport greatly helped by modern TV sets too. Who knows, maybe its audience will grow?

I really doubt it. I played the sport a lot, so never had any trouble watching it on TV, but I couldn't tell you how many times I've heard the (apparently justifiably) stock excuse "Well, I could never get into hockey because I can't follow the puck." [Aside] I think the fighting would be a negative for potential TV viewers, but I might very well be wrong.

Congratulations to the Hawks! I grew up in the Chicago area, and was a huge fan of the early '70s teams which came close (a couple of Finals losses) but never made it.

I doubt it too, but it's much easier today compared to on a 12" black & white with some snow in the over-the-air reception. :rhappy: Such a great series, I'm feeling just a tad bit of withdrawal.