Psst... wanna hear Wynton on BN?

brownie

A friend in New York (state, not city) sent me some unmarked samplings off those two discs and asked me to give it a listen. Frankly, I was blown away. Not profoundly so, but enough to make me use profanity spontaneously and joyfully while listening, and more than once, if you get my drift.

I LOVE it when that happens!

I can't log into the Bluenote Europe forum. I have registered and received a confirmation email, but after I enter the user/pass data in the login screen a browser pop up screen opens:

Enter Network Password

Site: stage.bluenoteeurope.com

Username:

Password

which should not happen, as it is a login box for the server, not the board. My user/pass for the board don't work in that box and I get this message: "Authorization Required - This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. "

So I'm locked out.

I was about to open the first "Letter to Norah" thread ... B)

Edited by Claude

I got the same pop-up log-in box as you, Claude. I just clicked on 'cancel' and got the same error message as you. However, when I clicked on the browser's 'back' button and reloaded the forum page I was nevertheless logged in.

Did you others also get a confirmation email from ben@outsideline.co.uk upon registering to the forums? I tried to visit the outsideline.co.uk website, but I didn't understand what it was all about. It didn't seem to have much to do with Blue Note.

I got the same pop-up log-in box as you, Claude. I just clicked on 'cancel' and got the same error message as you. However, when I clicked on the browser's 'back' button and reloaded the forum page I was nevertheless logged in.

Did you others also get a confirmation email from ben@outsideline.co.uk upon registering to the forums? I tried to visit the outsideline.co.uk website, but I didn't understand what it was all about. It didn't seem to have much to do with Blue Note.

I got a confirmation mail by said Ben, telling me to print out the form included, let it be signed by mom/pop and fax it back...

Seems like they don't expect grown ups to register there!

ubu

Ubu, are you sure you didn't accidently click on 'I Agree to these terms and am under 13 years of age' when agreeing to the terms?

Ben was really nice to me, and made no assumptions regarding my age. He greeted me with a friendly

Welcome to Forums

which I thought gave the message a very personal touch from the start. He then gave me some basic information regarding retrieval of my password in case I lost it, after which he rounded off the letter with a courteous

Thank you for registering.

--

Thanks, The Management

I'm quite sure Ben came up with this all by himself. I mean, it couldn't just be one of these preset greeting letters in a message board software .

Edited by Daniel A

...although the first part of title tune, w/it's Bill Dixon-esque moments, caught my attention briefly. But then...nothing happened.

Sadly, that's been the way most all of Wynton's work (and, truthfully, his career) has struck me - anticipations never rewarded, expectations never fulfilled.

That reminds me of my frustration when I first picked up Wynton's "blues trilogy" with high expectations at the time it was released.

Wynton began a few blues choruses with great calls. But why couldn't he follow at least one of them up with a great (blues) response?

Thanks Daniel, this worked for me too.

But I doubt that there will be much activity on the board, with these obstacles.

Well, I registered and posted over there. Can’t say it’ll change my now-ingrained posting habits (or perpetual lurking as the case may be), but what the heck? Aside from Kevin, where better to ask about Blue Note’s plans?

And GOM, why not register as “musicboy” and beat him to it. It’s been a while since any wonderfully spurious lawsuits were threatened.

By the way, the Lovano/Wynton post was meant seriously.

The guy who wrote about BN deleting reviews also had this to say:

Wynton Sycophants Unsubtle

Reviewer: Patrick Boyd from San Antonio, Texas

I'm not a Wynton Basher. I wrote a very balanced review, praising his classical recordings and his stewardship of musical education. He is a fine example of musicianship and nobility as a person. My point was, that his improvisations are not memorable. He doesn't have the gift of melody. People have a difficult time understanding that the vast majority of jazz musicians are not even slightly creative. Technique is one side of the brain, creativity the other. Coming up with complex runs and puzzles is not melody making, it's a camouflage for a lack thereof. Listen to Kind of Blue: Miles Davis's melodies are simple, yet stunningly beautiful and distinctive. Basic problem for Wynton--he can't stop thinking, and thinking doesn't make art. Luckily though, for chops driven musicians without the ability to conjure melody, only about 5% of the listening public knows the difference.

And if the "scathing" reviews were all of the "he's not a nice man, I don't like his music" or "I think trashing Wynton makes me look smart and sophisticated" type, thank you Blue Note. Personally, I find most of WM's music to be pretty tiresome, but not even close to as tiresome as his critics.

I just love the guy who labels WM "the man without a sound of his own," and I'm thinking "Man, get yourself an argument or an observation of your own and post that."

But anyhow, I'm still digesting the title cut. On first flush I very much dislike the episodic format. The thing doesn't seem to develop, really (JSngry's point, I think)

--eric