Psst... wanna hear Wynton on BN?

brownie

Blue Note seems to develop into a spamming organisation! Two or three days ago another Norah mail, and yesterday I got the Wynton stuff twice!

Now I'm not one of the bashers of current Blue Note - that thread discussing highlights of the last five years showed to everybody how many fine albums they did produce lately - but somehow, hey, I want the "real" information about CDs going OOP, Mosaic news etc, but do I really need to get all that strange spam-stuff, too?

ubu ;)

All it contains so far is a 3+ year old 'Welcome' message and some spam (it appears you don't have to register to be able to post). I can see that the member is list is growing, though:

http://www.bluenoteeurope.com/mb/memberlist.php

However, I wouldn't spend a second over there which could be spent here. Just in case both Org and AAJ go down... :rolleyes:

BTW, something has happened on the old BNBB site too. When I checked a few weeks ago, it still said 'Welcome Duke Pearson' (it was my handle), but now it just says 'Login' or 'Register', which of course is impossible. A pity; I had planned to click on 'Log out' before moving from Stockholm later this month, just to mark the end of an era.

Did anyone ever try to log out? What happened?

Edited by Daniel A

...do I really need to get all that strange spam-stuff, too?

1. it's not spam if you signed up to receive their emails.

2. you won't get mosiac news from blue note.

3. remove your name from bn's list and get your deletion/new release news here.

I know it ain't exactly what one calls "spam", but still...

Anyway, I always thought the Mosaic infos and Blue Note infos were coming from the same sender, no?

It's Trueblue that sends the infos on OOP BN titles, for instance, no?

ubu

BTW, something has happened on the old BNBB site too. When I checked a few weeks ago, it still said 'Welcome Duke Pearson' (it was my handle), but now it just says 'Login' or 'Register', which of course is impossible. A pity; I had planned to click on 'Log out' before moving from Stockholm later this month, just to mark the end of an era.

Did anyone ever try to log out? What happened?

It could be that the cookies set by the board on your PC have a validity of several weeks or months.

I listened to all available samples last week or so, and was neither impressed nor offended. Nothing exciting or blatanly sucky.

I wrote a review on the BN site under the name "Hardest Bop" (couldn't resist...) & gave it 3 stars (or ovals, as the case may be). An honest assessment of the evidence at hand, and it has not been tampered with.

Hmm, does anyone from this board answer to the name of 'Jonas'...?

I remember Jonas Kullhammer from the BNBB (Sorry if I botched the spelling). Maybe he lurks here and/or posts under a different name.

Well, if he does, I just discovered his work, and am REALLY digging it.

I haven't seen Jonas Kullhammar around for a few years, unless he posts totally incognito. He pursues a rather successful carreer as a tenor saxophonist these days. 25 years old, he has several records as a leader on his own record label, and he has been voted as Swedish jazz musician of the year.

He has quite an attitude which appeals to some, but doesn't work on others. From his days on the BNBB I can only remember him creating a stir by always asking two CDs for one of his in trades, and from name-dropping Cecil Taylor in a Fender Rhodes thread...

Jim, I knew that was your review when I read "Reality, TX"! Your writing in the review itself just solidified it...

Nice review! :g

Thank you.

It was honest. really, I don't think that this album is going to change anybody's mind about Wynton's music one way or the other. Those hoping for a big breakthrough or some such won't find it here, although the first part of title tune, w/it's Bill Dixon-esque moments, caught my attention briefly. But then...nothing happened.

Sadly, that's been the way most all of Wynton's work (and, truthfully, his career) has struck me - anticipations never rewarded, expectations never fulfilled.