Do you smoke?

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My mom, who died of lung cancer in 2005, smoked pretty much her whole life, and I got turned off by the whole idea at a very young age. I remember being in the car with her in the wintertime while she smoked with all the windows rolled up. In those days when cars were not as tightly constructed as today, I would stick my nose in the crack where the window met the door, desperate for clean air.

Edited by jeffcrom

My mom, who died of lung cancer in 2005, smoked pretty much her whole life, and I got turned off by the whole idea at a very young age. I remember being in the car with her in the wintertime while she smoked with all the windows rolled up. In those days when cars were not as tightly constructed as today, I would stick my nose in the crack where the window met the door, desparate for clean air.

Same here. My dad smoked from 1945 to 1981. When we would be in the car I would stick my head out the window for fresh air. I guess we were 2nd hand smokers.

My dad was a very heavy unfiltered smoker. He died at 49.

Mine was too. He died from it at 56. Never got to meet any of his grandchildren.

The thought of that happening to me is enough to make me never want to even try a cigarette.

My mother was a heavy smoker (more than 2 packs a day). She died of lung cancer...

Never smoked much myself. Gave up smoking cigarettes three decades ago. Putting an end to it was no problem at all.

Still love cigar smoking but have curtailed this lately.

No.

Grew up in an a home where smoking was not tolerated. At school smoking always seemed too desperate a ploy to be included with the cool kids.

I'm always saddened by how, despite all the evidence, its pull on the young remains so strong. All the education in the world cannot counteract the cultural cache it still commands amongst many kids. I understand the appeal of doing what is forbidden, but....

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I've been smoking since I left school at 16. Rolled my own since '69 or '70. Don't smoke much - it takes me 15-16 days to get through 50g of tobacco. That's VERY THIN rolling, as I have 10-11 a day.

Dunno when my Mum started. She used to smoke very expensive fags like Abdullah 37 and Passing Clouds, until I turned her on to roll-ups. She was 97 when she died. My Dad was 71 when he died; used to smoke little cigars - cheroots?

MG