Ring dem doorbells!

mikeweil

Who is your 1960's modern jazz vibist, and why?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Currently listening (and enjoying :tup ) Terry Gibbs' "Jewish Melodies in Jazztime", by the way. Has Gibbs on doorbells, and on some tunes his brother, Sol Gage, and wooden doorbells ;) .

Sort of a retro-nostalgic thing, I guess, but hey, that was in 1963, looooong before today, where such exercices in nostalgia are rather trendy.

ubu

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lytle - the groove master. Now who voted for Lytle?

When I put up that vote he was tied for first! Now look at him.

I got a Lytle bug a couple o summers ago (and many thanks to Mike Bonds who sent me a couple of painfully well put together comps from his lps) and must have listened to a Lytle mix for weeks on end. Those two on the Loop / New and Groovy twofer are just killin' as well. I stay away from his pat renderings of standards but his original stuff is down right the snappiest of all the vibists if I had my druthers. I love how he puts down that whirling shimmer. I tried my best to work in a rare Lytle cut onto my blindfold but alas it just was too mod for it's own good. I'm a sucker for those cheesy exotica tips as well, especially with a little Barretto spread on the bottom..

I've only recently begun to get into the chimes, and yes need to check out Walt Dickerson after hearing the snippet on Randy's test. Anybody weigh in on Pike's Atlantic "Jet Set" disc if only for Hancock on the organ?? And might MikeW have any commentary on the 'Dave Pike SET' that recorded in Germany in the early '70s. From my minute amount of searching there is a vanguard of guitarists, one Volker Kreigel, doing some extraordinary stuff?? Sounds interesting.

e85352j6mny.jpg

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Those two on the Loop / New and Groovy twofer are just killin' as well. I stay away from his pat renderings of standards but his original stuff is down right the snappiest of all the vibists if I had my druthers. I love how he puts down that whirling shimmer. I tried my best to work in a rare Lytle cut onto my blindfold but alas it just was too mod for it's own good. I'm a sucker for those cheesy exotica tips as well, especially with a little Barretto spread on the bottom.

Lytle was an underground hero in the British acid jazz movement, he gigged there, and was surprised that they knew these two extreme rare LPs from the TUBA label (Orrin Keepnews' first venture after Riverside's crash), told them where the tapes were and so the reissue on the British BGP label came about. Nice, but I find his Riversides a little better.

I'd like to hear the Muse stuff, but the 32Jazz comp is OOP and nowhere to be found ... it's nice how he used the mallet reversed for a different sound and stuff, a real entertainer, on a very solid musical level.

Currently listening (and enjoying :tup ) Terry Gibbs' "Jewish Melodies in Jazztime", by the way.

Another nice one to get is Dream Band, Volume 5: The Big Cat, recently reissued on Fantasy. This one's my favorite Gibbs disc, as the playing is as frenetic and furious and downright FUN as it gets!!! The title track is worth the price of admission alone!

Dave Pike !!! I kick my ... every day that I omitted him. This record :

B000024C1K.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

(AKG wrongly says it was not yet on CD - Amazon Germany sells it at 5 EUROs at the time - ) is one of the greatest of its kind. Kind of Miles Davis early 1960's going vibes, Bill Evans is on it, and in excellent form. One of Evans' first sessions after Scott LaFaro's tragic accident.

Pike had great rhythmic drive, perhaps due to the fact that he started as a drummer and is self-taught on vibes. I first heard him in Herbie Mann's band (1961-64), where he played nice snappy things on marimba and African xylophones.

BTW, the guy he replaced in Mann's group, Johnny Rae, is another excellent doorbellist, he left for Tjader group, where he played drums and timbales - with Mann it was vibes and timbales.

Edited by mikeweil

And might MikeW have any commentary on the 'Dave Pike SET' that recorded in Germany in the early '70s.  From my minute amount of searching there is a vanguard of guitarists, one Volker Kreigel, doing some extraordinary stuff??  Sounds interesting.

Well, I'm afraid I'm too biased to objectively tell about the Dave Pike Set - I never liked Kriegel, although he was an important pioneer figure for jazz and jazzrock on the German scene for many years, but he had his limits, was self taught and used only three fingers of his left hand, resulting in his peculiar style - maybe he got that from watching Django Reinhardt, who used only two fingers after his hand was injured by a fire. As I have stated in my posts about the Mangelsdorff groups in the discussion of BT # 5, I always compared the rhythm sections to those with US musicians, and most of them sounded too stiff to me. But if you listen with ears less prejudiced than mine, there is a lot to get from this music. Pike was great in this band. But the others - and especially the last band Kriegel played in before his death about two years ago, the United Jazz and Rock Ensemble - sounded as German as their names. Kriegel was a very successful cartoonist and author of children's books, and retired more or less from music due to health problems - he had tongue cancer - in the mid-1990's.

Edited by mikeweil

• 7 months later...

A new addition to my slowly growing doorbellist collection:

B00000DFI6.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Like it! It has a bit of a sameness, and it's all very light and easy, but it grooves!

How about this one?

B00000HZP6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Could be interesting with Johnny Griffin!

Also, is this the one Mike, you mentioned above (the TUBA thing from Keepnews)?

B000003L9C.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Penguin only gives it two and a half...

From Lytle's Muse discs I have "Fat Possum Grease" - ok, if but the best, I'd say. The 32jazz reissued two of his six Muse albums. Go through the bins, Mike, and you might find some Muse CDs... (happens here, from time to time, but I couldn't promise anything - can't calculate these things)

ubu

Lytle is one of the good-vibes ( ;):)) musicians that never fails to brighten up my mood. The Village Caller" is a very nice groovy album!!!

Yes, that's the Tuba label twofer CD, not as bad as that review wants to make us believe. These probably would have been on Riverside hadn't that label folded Just before.

My last vibes purchase was this:

B00026B1UA.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

which is much better than the bland commercial Atlantic pictured above (Jazz for the Jet Set).

Lytle is one of the good-vibes ( ;):)) musicians that never fails to brighten up my mood. The Village Caller" is a very nice groovy album!!!

Yes, that's the Tuba label twofer CD, not as bad as that review wants to make us believe. These probably would have been on Riverside hadn't that label folded Just before.

My last vibes purchase was this:

B00026B1UA.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

which is much better than the bland commercial Atlantic pictured above (Jazz for the Jet Set).

has a much better cover, too, doesn't it? :wub:

You don't know the one with Griffin?

ubu

For me, it's Milt without any hesitation. I love pretty well all of the well-known players on the instrument, but Milt is just so satisfying deep down. I think he was the best ever, with very stiff competition. I saw a video of him (in Germany, I think), recorded just before he died. Mickey Roker was on drums. Milt still sounded as good as ever. They played S.K.J., which is a favorite.

I think he was very versatile, to be able to play convincingly in the somewhat artsy-fartsy MJQ (don't get me wrong, I like the MJQ) and also straight-ahead blowing groups.

I voted for Walt. In my estimation, his music from the 60's captures the zeitgeist of that decade better than any of the other vibists' in this poll. In this respect, I consider Dickerson to be the "Trane of the vibes".

If that does not sound too ridiculous.

I voted for Walt Dickerson as well. He is the reason I am learning to play the vibraphone*.

*Vibraharp actually. Dickerson plays a Deagan, as did Milt Jackson. J.C. Deagan patented the Vibraharp. Claude Omar Musser later patented the Vibraphone. In essence, they are the same thing. J.C. Deagan is also credited for establishing the standardized tuning A=440.

For me, it's Milt without any hesitation. I love pretty well all of the well-known players on the instrument, but Milt is just so satisfying deep down. I think he was the best ever, with very stiff competition. I saw a video of him (in Germany, I think), recorded just before he died. Mickey Roker was on drums. Milt still sounded as good as ever. They played S.K.J., which is a favorite.

I think he was very versatile, to be able to play convincingly in the somewhat artsy-fartsy MJQ (don't get me wrong, I like the MJQ) and also straight-ahead blowing groups.

:tup

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...