10 Things the new Blackberry Z10 can do that the iPhone can't

Thanks. There's a bit of Greek in there for me too. I've had a work Blackberry forever, but a personal Android device. I was pretty much committed to conversion to a personal Blackberry, when I tried one out at an NYC street fair. Yep, it's going to happen when my current contract expires.

I love my android (HTC One x) but after a few months with it I'm pretty shocked at what a pain in the ass it's been to get all of the notifications working exactly like I want. The blackberry had settings to put everything on silence, vibrate, ring or ring + vibrate. Simple. I've spent quite a while trying to get my droid to do exactly that and am using multiple third party apps and it's still not quite right. And I went with a 3rd party text app to help with this and sometimes get double notifications, one from the 3rd party app and one from the native (AT&T) one. The droid is superior in almost every other way (compared to BB Torch) but it's amazing that I've had so much trouble doing something that seems so simple.

I went with Droid over iPhone because of lack of customization possibilities on the iPhone. I can do most of what I need to do with one click. I'd also never trade this screen for a smaller one.

A big factor with this Z10 should be how many of those droid apps get ported over. That's their only hope.

• 3 months later...

BlackBerry is in the news again, as they have put themselves up for sale and have one bidder so far.

I suppose as a result, this article has resurfaced.

I find the comments made in the past month regarding BlackBerry, iPhone and Android to be quite interesting, and maybe you will too.

http://www.cio.com/article/731155/10_Things_BlackBerry_Z10_Does_That_iPhone_Can_t?taxonomyId=3081&CPID=KNC-kw1366381_p6&HBX_PK=rim|58df5538-2c69-8a89-e334-000026f5e7bb

I love my android (HTC One x) but after a few months with it I'm pretty shocked at what a pain in the ass it's been to get all of the notifications working exactly like I want. The blackberry had settings to put everything on silence, vibrate, ring or ring + vibrate. Simple. I've spent quite a while trying to get my droid to do exactly that and am using multiple third party apps and it's still not quite right. And I went with a 3rd party text app to help with this and sometimes get double notifications, one from the 3rd party app and one from the native (AT&T) one. The droid is superior in almost every other way (compared to BB Torch) but it's amazing that I've had so much trouble doing something that seems so simple.

I went with Droid over iPhone because of lack of customization possibilities on the iPhone. I can do most of what I need to do with one click. I'd also never trade this screen for a smaller one.

A big factor with this Z10 should be how many of those droid apps get ported over. That's their only hope.

"Droid" is a marketing term used by Verizon for a line of their Android phones. If it's not on Verizon, it's not a "Droid".

It's really not that complicated to configure notifications. Sounds like you just need to set the native notification to on but with sound off, and then route all notification control through the other app.

"Droid" is a marketing term used by Verizon for a line of their Android phones. If it's not on Verizon, it's not a "Droid".

"Droid" and "android" are used interchangeably in common parlance to refer to phones running the Android OS.

• 1 month later...

BlackBerry is in the news again, as they have put themselves up for sale and have one bidder so far.

I suppose as a result, this article has resurfaced.

I find the comments made in the past month regarding BlackBerry, iPhone and Android to be quite interesting, and maybe you will too.

http://www.cio.com/article/731155/10_Things_BlackBerry_Z10_Does_That_iPhone_Can_t?taxonomyId=3081&CPID=KNC-kw1366381_p6&HBX_PK=rim|58df5538-2c69-8a89-e334-000026f5e7bb

The deal for BlackBerry has fallen through, as the buyer was unable to obtain financing.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/2013/11/04/blackberry-shares-plunge-on-report-buyout-plans-halted/?intcmp=obnetwork