Singer Sharon Jones Diagnosed With Cancer

Tom 1960

So all hoping that everything health wise will be fine.....

but in Australia, the 'Soul Music gatekeepers' are a bit sniffy about Sharon Jones musically.

We often get a lot of classic era performers out here like Bettye Lavette. One of our Soul dj's said Bettye Lavette was the artist Sharon Jones 'wished' she was?

• 3 years later...
8 hours ago, Van Basten II said:

Saw her before she became really big in a small place, less than 500 places in the early 2000  . too young to see the  previouis generation of soul singers , she gave us a hell of a catch up ride that night.

RIP Sharon.

What a miserable year that was.

She played a 200 people club in Santa Barbara only a few years ago  but then returned to play the 5000 seat SB Bowl a bit later on a double bill IIRC with the Tedeschi-Trucks Band.  A great evening of music. 

This one hurts, deep.  I missed her change in her diagnosis from gallbladder ca, pretty rare, to the less rare but more deadly pancreatic ca.  Few people win that battle.  I never made it to one of her shows, something  I'll always regret.  

R.I.P. Princess of Soul.  If Aretha is still queen, Sharon is at least a princess.