Keith Jarrett: Somewhere

CJ Shearn

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to bring up the subject yet again, but Somewhere has far less of Keith's "vocalizations" than most of the trio's recordings. It's a terrific and inventive single-disc set on all fronts, but it does warrant that distinction. I love this trio, but that .. um... "feature" of the group has been a consistent problem for me. Largely removed here, i'm glad to say.

That alone makes me want it. The other night while I posted about the Blue Note box, where he REALLY let his vocal thing fly, the music was so good I was able to overlook it, and this while listening to it with a good pair of cans. Speaks to how great that trio can be/has been.

I've rarely been so bothered by Keith's vocalizations that they smothered what was truly important. I understand how bothersome it can be to some, but it simply hasn't risen to that level with me. After 40+ years of Jarrett listening, in many contexts, I'm still a huge fan.

cameras...

when i saw the trio for the fourth time (!) last fall, two interesting non-musical moments ocurred before they began; the first was after a very long and warm applause (and maybe even a standing ovation, if i recall) from the audience, keith said in a tone that was razor sharp with what could only be dripping sarcasm, "is it okay if we begin now...?". i'm sure in his mind it was intended to be playful. the second was just as he was centering himself at the piano and the hushed slience that descends a hall with excellent acoustics just before a piece begins, a cell phone began to ring. i could feel the entire hall cringe. keith turns to the general direction of the phone with a quizzical expression on his face. i braced for what i knew was going to be the mother of all call outs (as we've all heard about them for years), and keith begins to laugh hysterically. after the crowd exhales and does the same, surely out of sheer relief, he says just before beginning again in earnest, "who says i don't have a sense of humor".

He is one odd cat.

I forget when and where the enforced group cough took place.

Dude takes the term diva to previous unknown heights.

It seems like the new woman in his life has made him less uptight though from articles I've read from when she was first mentioned in the "Rio" liners.

He is one odd cat.

I forget when and where the enforced group cough took place.

Dude takes the term diva to previous unknown heights.

True, but the thing is: he's right. You should make sure your phone is turned off before you enter a theatre. You should avoid coughing out of restlessness during a live performance. My only quibble is that he seems to be enforcing these rules for his own benefit. In fact, they should be observed out of the respect of everybody in the auditorium.

How does one "cough out of restlessness"?

I wouldn't know how to go about doing it if that's what you mean ("Hmm, think I'll do a bit of coughing out of restlessness now").

But it's surely the main reason why bouts of coughing break out in theatres during quiet moments. It's a nervous reaction that's easily controlled but spreads quickly once it's started.

It's OK, I agree with you that Jarrett takes it to extremes. I just also think it's unnecessary for person B to cough because person A just did, then person C and so on. Unless you're choking on something or have bronchitis there isn't any need to do it. It's throat clearing actually.

it may be along the lines of a nervous laugh. some people have an innate discomfort with slience or stillness. much of it subconscious, no doubt. in any event, i think keith has been mellowing out in recent years, if i'm not mistaken. probably due in no small part to his new relationship.

He's probably doing it as a way to keep a connection with the muse. I recently finished Neil Young's autobiography, "Waging Heavy Peace." He talks a lot about the need to keep the muse at peace. Here's one excerpt:

"This is very important. Don't spook the Horse. That is very essential to the success of any ride. The Horse will head for the barn if it is spooked, and the music will continue but not have that magic that the Horse possesses. Any ride on the Horse must not have a destination. History has shown that the best way to spook the Horse is to tell it what to do or where to go or, even worse, how to get there. You must not speak directly to the Horse or ever look the Horse in the eyes until the ride is over and the Horse is secured in the barn. It is okay to talk to the Horse directly, but care must be taken to have respect for the muse when discussing anything with the Horse. The Horse and the muse are very good friends. Disrespect for the muse will piss off the Horse, and possibly vice versa, although that is hard to prove. The Horse has met no equal, although there undoubtedly is an equal to the Horse out there somewhere. The Horse knows this well and will not tolerate anyone who is overly complimentary to the point of excluding other friends of the muse in a misguided attempt to gain the Horse's favor. That is absolutely not the thing to do, as it makes the Horse think, and that has a bad effect generally. The Horse has a voracious appetite. The songs the Horse likes to consume are always heartfelt and do not need to have anything fancy associated with them. The Horse is very suspicious of tricks. Keeping these simple guidelines in place is always a good idea when approaching the Horse for any reason."