Loft Jazz Recommendations

How are Blythe's India Navigation albums? Never heard those.

They're very good and both available on a single CD. I'm old enough to remember when a new India Navigation LP appearing in the shops was a big event.....those were the days.

I've just had a look on Amazon and see that it goes for big bucks now. Looks like another one to put on your "I'll have when I can get it for a decent price" list, Hans.

Got the CD on eBay for just under $4 plus shipping. A bit cheaper than on Amazon... :)

Edited by J.A.W.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are Blythe's India Navigation albums? Never heard those.

They're very good and both available on a single CD. I'm old enough to remember when a new India Navigation LP appearing in the shops was a big event.....those were the days.

I've just had a look on Amazon and see that it goes for big bucks now. Looks like another one to put on your "I'll have when I can get it for a decent price" list, Hans.

Got the CD on eBay for just under $4 plus shipping. A bit cheaper than on Amazon... :)

There you are. Everything comes to he who waits....long enough! :tup

Listening to Saga of the Outlaws now. The first thing that struck me is that Tyler has a nice tone. I think tone is very important (it's one of the main reasons to listen to Ben Webster, for example), but it may be even more important in "free" music, since so often the music is intended to be confrontational and abrasive. Having said that, Saga is very compositional (as Tyler points out in the liner notes); there are sections and themes (indeed, the presentation of the album might have been better served by having a "Part 1," "Part 2," etc, in the mastering of LP and CD, keeping the music uninterrupted, but I'm sure Chuck left decisions regarding the presentation of the music to Mr. Tyler). I also like Tyler's sense of control; you get the sense that he's playing what he wants to play. Good album; I look forward to hearing it again.

I must confess, I see no connection between the music and a Western, "outlaw" theme.

Charles wasn't very specific about the form and was only concerned (at the mixing session at Rudy's) that the music wasn't interrupted when the lp was turned over. We managed a nice double fade for the lp masters and I was delighted to make a smooth join for the cd. I could have indexed the turnover point but that seemed so "old school".

It is a short cd of masterful music. Thank you Charles.

cooper_jero_unpredict_101b.jpg

Still a beautiful album and a great photo of Jerome Cooper taken by Doug Fidoten at Soundscape a few hours before the concert. The rehearsals for Shannon Jackson's Eye on You were held at Soundscape. Other loft favorites of mine are Enchance by Billy Hart, Conference of the Birds by Dave Holland, and Roi Boye and the Gotham Minstrels by Julius Hemphill.

Edited by ATR

• 5 years later...

Over the weekend I started reading Michael Heller’s book on the scene and while I’m not too deep into it yet, there are several references to loft performances and related festivals being recorded on professional equipment… it gives the impression there is (or was) lots of quality recorded material out there.

It's been 5 years since this thread was active... any notable new releases in that time? 

The Heller book brought my attention to the Juma Sultan “Whispers from the Archive” disc which had previously slipped my radar… very easy to do these days.

Is No Business the one-stop shop previously unissued loft scene recordings?

Any suggestions appreciated.

NoBusiness have a program going that will see a lot more nice stuff issued over the next few years. Hope people continue to buy it.

There's a sweet Frank Lowe 2LP on Triple Point that is well worth hearing, although it is expensive.

Alan Braufman's "Valley of Search" was recently reissued and is a fabulous listen. 

All of the above are legit reissues/first issues, too, which helps.

10 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

NoBusiness have a program going that will see a lot more nice stuff issued over the next few years. Hope people continue to buy it.

There's a sweet Frank Lowe 2LP on Triple Point that is well worth hearing, although it is expensive.

Alan Braufman's "Valley of Search" was recently reissued and is a fabulous listen. 

The Braufman is pretty fabulous, wish they had put it on CD.  @clifford_thornton  Any chance of NoBusiness doing that Prince Lasha Live Firebirds set?  

Edited by felser

10 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

I'll certainly keep buying NoBusiness' releases of older stuff (and I'm throwing in some of their new recordings as well, usually).

The Braufman I still need to get ... but I just see that with shipping it's over 40$ -- a bit on the rich side :o

1 hour ago, felser said:

The Braufman is pretty fabulous, wish they had put it on CD.  @clifford_thornton  Any chance of NoBusiness doing that Prince Lasha Live Firebirds set?  

Porter was going to do it but that label is no more; haven't heard anything since. It's a shame and a bit of a shock that that music hasn't made it to CD.

Hold tight on the prospect of a Braufman CD. It may be happening.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

Porter was going to do it but that label is no more; haven't heard anything since. It's a shame and a bit of a shock that that music hasn't made it to CD.

2 hours ago, felser said:

The Braufman is pretty fabulous, wish they had put it on CD.

Great news on the Braufman, thx!

On ‎01‎.‎02‎.‎2019 at 6:30 PM, blake said:

Yes! W. Eugene Smith was an interesting guy... there's a film coming soon, I believe. 

There is a film already, "The Jazz Loft According to W. Eugene Smith", by Sara Fishko ... I saw it at Jazzfest Berlin in Nov. 2016, and it's one of the many films that offer plenty of fascinating glimpses, does kinda succeed in telling the story, presenting a picture, re-creating a mood, portraying Smith with all his obsessions ... but for the avid music fan, seeing fotos and hearing 20 seconds of Monk rehearsing his big band is really frustrating of course.
https://www.wnyc.org/jazzloftthemovie/

The set above, "David X. Young's Jazz Loft", is easily recommended. It comes with a large booklet (that may break apart alas if you want to open it and take a good look) containing photos, paintings (by Young - there's also a poster coming with it).

Guess I should buy the book as long as it's still around:
http://www.jazzloftproject.org/index.php?s=book

edit: aargh, too late already for the book ...

On 31/01/2019 at 4:39 PM, clifford_thornton said:

Also very interested in a CD version. Would be great.