Hank Mobley

Milestones

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite is still "Soul Station" - but then I love many of the fifties BN dates including the very first quartet 10" album, which is kind of the Jazz Messengers featuring Mobley ... the Jazz Messengers material is brilliant, too, both the Silver as well as the Café Bohemia - some of my favourite music! And the re-union is terrific as well, with Lee Morgan and Hank Mobley - I totally love the groove they get into on "Chicken an' Dumplins"!

Underrecorded artists are underrecorded because their records tend not to make money. Hank, although he never had a hit record, must have made a fair bit for BN. Don't forget, BN projects broke even on 2,500 sales. Someone who wasn't doing even that well was really not commanding an audience.

MG

No doubt. My comment was based entirely on an utterly absurd hypothetical scenario where Lion was a philanthropist was constrained in time and recording costs, but indifferent to album sales.

:g

MG

There's an interesting biography of Mobley available - Workout: The Life and Music of Hank Mobley.

Description of the book at that link is a bit odd:

"Jackie McLean (1931-2006) was one of the finest alto players and a legend of jazz. This book looks at the man and his work, his influences, and why his records have such enduring value."

There's an interesting biography of Mobley available - Workout: The Life and Music of Hank Mobley.

"Jackie McLean (1931-2006) was one of the finest alto players and a legend of jazz. This book looks at the man and his work, his influences, and why his records have such enduring value."

Same author (Derek Amsell) for the Northway bios of McLean and Mobley.

Same author (Derek Amsell) for the Northway bios of McLean and Mobley.

Yes, I think this publisher has a series, there was a Lee Morgan one a while back as well.

Caddy for Daddy was my first, love 'em all, almost - including Reach Out, except the last one on Cobblestone.

I like that Cobblestone one. There's some very nice unaccompanied solo stuff somewhere in there, if I remember it right.

MG

I haven't heard it in a long time, so I might change my mind, but IIRC 'trying too hard' to do something different was my initial reaction...

Caddy for Daddy was my first, love 'em all, almost - including Reach Out, except the last one on Cobblestone.

I like that Cobblestone one. There's some very nice unaccompanied solo stuff somewhere in there, if I remember it right.

MG

I haven't heard it in a long time, so I might change my mind, but IIRC 'trying too hard' to do something different was my initial reaction...

Haven't heard Breakthrough! in years, but I remember not liking it all those years ago.

Edited by J.A.W.

Breakthrough is the bloodiest music Hank ever made, imo...talk about walking a tightrope without a net..and into a gale-force headwind at that...and yet not once does he stagger, stumble, or fall. It ain't pretty, but it sure is beautiful.

For everything else, there's Dippin'.

And for everything else, there's everything else!

Let me put in a good word for the 3 albums released in the LT series: A Slice Of The Top, Third Season, and Thinking Of Home. I think of these as "of a piece": sophisticated arrangements, great tunes, and interesting instrumentation. Some surprising musicians pop up: Woody Shaw, Sonny Greenwich, Eddie Diehl. These sessions also have a "polish" to them. Hank is great, as usual.