135 Recent Books, mostly jazz - List and Capsule Reviews - W. Royal St

I'm ceratinly keen to read the Keystone Korner book, having grown up there with Todd, Jessica W, and Milt the cook/waiter. And I'm looking forward to cracking open (right after my fifth Bud Powell bio, now in progress) the Papa Jo bio and ESP-DISK Oral History, but I was already aware of all these.

While I can read five Bud Powell bios, another book on the Gershwins or Sinatra...

Very interesting list indeed. But could it be that some books are not so new at all but just reprinted and/or revised/enlarged (and not credited as such in the text)? My copy of "A Left Hand Like God" is a good 20 years old (and I don't really feel like upgrading).

As for books one would have liked to see covered/reviewed (if in brief), I'd have liked to see his stance on this:

Big Easy Big Bands - Dawn and Rise of the Jazz Orchestra by Eddy Determeyer

I'm not sure that it's really possible to read 135 books in "a year or so," but I agree with much on there that coincides with the less-than-135 that I've read.

My only serious disagreement is re: the book on/by Jo Jones, which is worthless, full of sadly syphlitic-sounding ravings, with a very badly-written introduction. There is so little of substance in it that I really think it should never have been issued.

I'm not sure that it's really possible to read 135 books in "a year or so," but I agree with much on there that coincides with the less-than-135 that I've read.

My only serious disagreement is re: the book on/by Jo Jones, which is worthless, full of sadly syphlitic-sounding ravings, with a very badly-written introduction. There is so little of substance in it that I really think it should never have been issued.

Thanks, Allen. I trust your opinion more (better expressed: "expect it will be harmony with my own") than that of Mr. Stokes. I'm going to skip the Jones book unless I see it cheap. That's a shame; I do like Jo Jones as a musician, and he did do some interesting interviews.

I'm in a minority on that, just as full disclosure; most people liked it, but I really think it was more because "hey it's Jo Jones in his own words."

as for Van Vechten, re Ubu; I've read both the novels; interesting but not very good, though I like Van Vechten a lot and think he did some great things. And I love the photos.

• 11 months later...

These looked interesting (to me):

Geoff Kaplan’s Power to the People: The Graphic Design of the Radical Press and the Rise of the Counter-Culture, 1964-1974 (University Of Chicago Press). Ironic tht it is a coffee-table book though.

David Grubbs, inRecords Ruin the Landscape: John Cage, the Sixties, and Sound Recording (Duke University Press)

People Get Ready: The Future of Jazz Is Now! (Duke University Press)

Garry Winogrand (Yale University Press). I saw the exhibition and was quite impressed.

Thanks for the link.