Any chance for ANY new Conn, Rare Groove, RVG, etc.

jazzkrow

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The chances of seeing any Three Sounds being reissued are purty slim.

Bought this recently for a ridiculous price and the sound quality is excellent :

http://www.amazon.com/8-Classic-Albums-Three-Sounds/dp/B005SQ3B2K

That's a European public-domain release. Those PD labels do not have access to original sources like mastertapes; usually existing CDs and LPs are used as sources.

Edited by J.A.W.

The chances of seeing any Three Sounds being reissued are purty slim.

Bought this recently for a ridiculous price and the sound quality is excellent :

http://www.amazon.com/8-Classic-Albums-Three-Sounds/dp/B005SQ3B2K

That's a European public-domain release. Those PD labels do not have access to original sources like mastertapes; usually existing CDs and LPs are used as sources.

I'd say that set is the way to go. I've got many Sounds titles on JRVG/TOCJ, and I dare say anyone who loves that music will try to get hold of some of those...but, I'm not really convinced they are so essential and this set is a way to get the general idea without breaking the bank.

• 2 weeks later...

I find it a pity that the The Three Sounds were excluded from the whole RVG reissue program outside Japan. I know the Sounds were regarded as weak sellers. I know they don't register with folks the same way that Lee Morgan or Herbie Hancock do. But. Their albums are good on their own terms and I think if they had been rolled out alongside those many artists 'we' here on this board prefer they could have caught on.

I find it a pity that the The Three Sounds were excluded from the whole RVG reissue program outside Japan. I know the Sounds were regarded as weak sellers. I know they don't register with folks the same way that Lee Morgan or Herbie Hancock do. But. Their albums are good on their own terms and I think if they had been rolled out alongside those many artists 'we' here on this board prefer they could have caught on.

I agree, This topic has been discussed extensively here I think. I just don't know just what is SO darn "inferior" about the music of the Three Sounds that sales would be affected if reissued. Back when I started buying their lps, I just thought they were yet another fantastic side of the Blue Note "rainbow" of great jazz. "Gene Harris vs Herbie Hancock?" Who cares. The music is great!

Well, Michael Cuscuna was the head of the reissue program for Blue Note, and he didn't think the Sounds should be extensively reissued and guess what? They weren't. He had a lot of power in that role and if he didn't want to put resources behind an artist, it didn't happen.

Maybe if there's a future for Blue Note outside of his supervision we'll see some of the neglected come to light. But those are two big ifs.

It may be true that, as MC claimed, the Sounds did not sell well (presumably he means the pre-RVG CD re-issues). But the effect is that the record is doctored, and also I feel that some of those titles issued as JRVGs have pretty good sound and also the striking Reid Miles covers that sell records. Although it was a horrid instrument, the Sounds records are among the small minority of Blue Notes recorded in Rudy's studio where you can actually hear the piano properly, warts and all - so for that reason alone....

Edited by David Ayers

Years ago on a trip to Mosaic, I talked to him about the Sounds. At the time he said he was trying to figure out a way to reissue some material, maybe as a Select. I didn't feel he had a bias. He was probably more concerned about sales, not an unrealistic concern.

Fair point, although the 1500 and 4000 titles didn't get reissued - one or two as fleeting Collector's Choice, IIRC. Babe's Blues, for example, consisted of offcuts from the sessions for those LPs, so maybe represented a lower average. That said, the Sounds were pretty consistent...

Blue Note reissued plenty of recordings by The Three Sounds. They're enjoyable enough, but after purchasing two or three titles, I never felt the need to collect more. I suspect that most jazz listeners share the same opinion.

I can't speak for most but I have many of their BN recordings, some from US issue, some from Japan and some thanks to Dan Gould. I hadn't talked to MC about more singles, more in the terms of a Mosaic or a Select. Just didn't work out.

Fair point, although the 1500 and 4000 titles didn't get reissued - one or two as fleeting Collector's Choice, IIRC. Babe's Blues, for example, consisted of offcuts from the sessions for those LPs, so maybe represented a lower average. That said, the Sounds were pretty consistent...

Babe's Blues came from the same session, August 13 1961, that produced Hey There! I wouldn't say there is any appreciable difference between the performances on each.

I realize for some, a few Three Sounds sessions are enough, for others one session is too much, and for an enlightened few like me and Brad, all of it isn't enough. But its all there is.

That Real Gone Jazz box of the Sounds looks interesting. I only have 3 of the 8 albums. Funny that the Nat Adderley should be included. I don't recognise all the sleeves; is the Mercury album in this box?

No Mercury. This 4CD compilation includes Introducing The Three Sounds, Introducing The Three Sounds Volume 2, Bottoms Up, Moods, Hey There, Here We Come, Branching Out and Blue Hour.

"Piano trios" are the jazz equivalent of Budweiser, everybody's got it and they'll do when there's nothing better around, and some people just don't know the difference in either direction, so to find one as consistently thoughtful in their arrangements and as deeply empathetic in their execution as The Three Sounds is a treat for me.

That Real Gone Jazz box of the Sounds looks interesting. I only have 3 of the 8 albums. Funny that the Nat Adderley should be included. I don't recognise all the sleeves; is the Mercury album in this box?

511mDMFpqlL._SX300_.jpg

MG

Live at the Living Room is a great LP, if you can find it, MG. Don't think its ever seen a CD reissue though.

086600.jpg