Any chance for ANY new Conn, Rare Groove, RVG, etc.

jazzkrow

"Piano trios" are the jazz equivalent of Budweiser, everybody's got it and they'll do when there's nothing better around, and some people just don't know the difference in either direction, so to find one as consistently thoughtful in their arrangements and as deeply empathetic in their execution as The Three Sounds is a treat for me.

I assume this is written only from the perspective of a listener, not an artist contemplating whether or not to make a trio recording.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a comment on the economic reality brought about by the aggregate indiscrimination of the consumer population.

Just as there's always Budweiser, there's always piano trios, because both are cheap to present and both will always sell. You'll always be able to get a Budweiser, and you'll always be able to get a piano trio,.

Now, unlike Budweiser, there is a wide range of interest and satisfaction available in the world of piano trios. But that was not the focus of the analogy.

just to set the record straight, i'm with you. i'd love to own their catalog and 'at the living room' looks *nice*....

Excellent. Someone else who has attained enlightenment. :cool:

I don't think I've attained enlightenment; I like piano trios though, and 3 Sounds is a good one. But so are those of

Wynton Kelly

Red Garland

Junior Mance

Phineas Newborn

McCoy Tyner

Ray Bryant

Les McCann

Sonny Clark

Ahmad Jamal

King Fleming

Ramsey Lewis

Horace Parlan

John Wright

Bobby Timmons

Norman Simmons

Hampton Hawes

And they ain't AT ALL the same old thing; not a one of them.

MG

Around here, it used be that trios were for weeknights, quartets/quintets for weekends. Now it's solo piano on weeknights (where there are any) and trios on the weekends.

Not that there haven't been some great piano trios, or even some great piano trio records made by not necessarily "great" trios, but jeez, "piano trio" in and of itself is past cliche these days. But they keep coming anyway, and really, how much more can be done? And why do it, except that there's a market for a familiar product that is easily/cheaply produced, easily marketed. and more or less indiscriminately consumed.

Yes, Budweiser.

But - The Three Sounds were much better than that. Much better.

just to set the record straight, i'm with you. i'd love to own their catalog and 'at the living room' looks *nice*....

I don't think I've attained enlightenment; I like piano trios though, and 3 Sounds is a good one. But so are those of

Wynton Kelly

Red Garland

Junior Mance

Phineas Newborn

McCoy Tyner

Ray Bryant

Les McCann

Sonny Clark

Ahmad Jamal

King Fleming

Ramsey Lewis

Horace Parlan

John Wright

Bobby Timmons

Norman Simmons

Hampton Hawes

MG

How could you forget to mention Bill Evans?

Wynton Kelly

Red Garland

Junior Mance

Phineas Newborn

McCoy Tyner

Ray Bryant

Les McCann

Sonny Clark

Ahmad Jamal

King Fleming

Ramsey Lewis

Horace Parlan

John Wright

Bobby Timmons

Norman Simmons

Hampton Hawes

MG

& Elmo Hope

& Herbie Nichols

Wynton Kelly

Red Garland

Junior Mance

Phineas Newborn

McCoy Tyner

Ray Bryant

Les McCann

Sonny Clark

Ahmad Jamal

King Fleming

Ramsey Lewis

Horace Parlan

John Wright

Bobby Timmons

Norman Simmons

Hampton Hawes

MG

& Elmo Hope

& Herbie Nichols

I've never in my life bought any records by or (except for 'Kinda blue' which I didn't keep long) featuring Evans, Hope or Nichols. That's a list of trio pianists I like.

Oh, Hope is on 'The fox', I think. Not one I play much.

MG