Bobby Bland R.I.P.

kinuta

There goes another giant. I wish I hadn't followed his career in a "backward" fashion, as sometimes happens. I heard his 70's recordings with B.B. King before I heard his 50's recordings, and because those later things didn't do a lot for me at that time, it delayed my appreciation for his earlier work. Once I realized what I'd been missing... wow.

RIP.

RIP, Bobby. Decades of pleasure he's given me. Never heard of him before I bought 'Don't cry no more'; his latest single at the time. When I got it home, bloomin' 'eck, Tucker!

I saw him in the late 90s at a pub in Newport, east of Cardiff. Amazingly, he had a black band behind him. He was fantastic, even though he didn't have the voice he had years before. Jimmy Page and others from Led Zep and Van Morrison were in the audience, picking up tips (they all lived locally). Morrison horned his way onto the stage and asked if he could do a duet of 'Your friends'. Bland, polite, agreed, though he looked as if he didn't know what this guy was doing, coming up; anyway, Morrison, predictably, stank. Bland put up with it.

MG

RIP, Bobby. Decades of pleasure he's given me. Never heard of him before I bought 'Don't cry no more'; his latest single at the time. When I got it home, bloomin' 'eck, Tucker!

I saw him in the late 90s at a pub in Newport, east of Cardiff. Amazingly, he had a black band behind him. He was fantastic, even though he didn't have the voice he had years before. Jimmy Page and others from Led Zep and Van Morrison were in the audience, picking up tips (they all lived locally). Morrison horned his way onto the stage and asked if he could do a duet of 'Your friends'. Bland, polite, agreed, though he looked as if he didn't know what this guy was doing, coming up; anyway, Morrison, predictably, stank. Bland put up with it.

MG

:)

Good old Van.

Now headlining at a 'Jazz Blues and Roots' festival close to you.

Edited by freelancer

I had the good fortune to see him a number of times over the years....RIP

That iconic 'growl' of his and could sing as sweet as a bird too.

Very disappointed about a month ago, was looking forward to seeing him in concert, which was cancelled due to health reasons......now this.

Edited by Mike Schwartz

A lot of singers are said to be soulful, but not many had a voice as soulful as Bobby "Blue" Bland. (Even though he seemed to have dropped the "Blue" from his name in later years, that's how I thought of him. It just seemed right.)

Thanks for everything you gave, Mr. Bland. You'll be missed but not forgotten.

Prety nice article that one.

Liked this quote

“Whatever moments you get of happiness, use it up, you know, if you can, because it don’t come that often.”

MG