WTB: Yama by Art Farmer on CD

• 4 years later...
On 6/24/2013 at 1:24 AM, Leroy Bad said:

Hi I'm looking for an album on CD called Yama by Art Farmer. As far as I know it was only issued in Japan. The last 2 on ebay sold for near $100, I'm willing to match the price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ART-FARMER-YAMA-JAPAN-CD-JOE-HENDERSON-/140945794921

FYI, this album appears to finally been reissued on CD, and was in stock at Dusty Groove last week (when I ordered a copy).

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/860553/Art-Farmer-with-Joe-Henderson:Yama

Got it there for $13.99 (new!), an import from Japan, so the price was great!

2 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Why in the hell would anyone pay $100 for a CD?! 

Because it's worth it to them?  Up to the individual, and different people have different priorities and different levels of disposable income.  There are CD's I'd pay $100 for if that is what it took, but I've never had to do so.  What if you could only have 'A Love Supreme' or 'Kind of Blue' or 'A Step Beyond' on CD if you paid $100?  Would that be out of the question?

Joe's playing throughout this album is...  how do I say this...  Joe's playing is really a lot better than the album deserves.

Not much more than half bad overall (there's some damn faint praise), if you find it used - but I'm not sure I needed to go out of my way to get this.

That said, Joe gets off more than a couple half-devastatingly gorgeous solos as the album gets going.  I'm re-spinning it all again now, as I type this, and I almost wish Joe *didn't* play this well on the thing, truth be told.

Joe-a--philiacs (like myself) shouldn't shy away from this date, but it's probably very much an optional purchase for everyone else.

20 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Real Joe-a-philliacs are going to want to have Rush Hour and The Cat And The Hat looooong before this one, imo.

Two more Joe items I didn't even know about (or knew about 10 years ago, but long since forgot).

Here's The Cat...(playlist of the entire thing).  With vocals! - oh joy. :rolleyes:

EDIT -- you can hear the whole thing on Ben's site even...

http://bensidran.com/album/the-cat-and-the-hat

And dear god, it's not just some vocals, but TONS.  :o:ph34r::alien::wacko::rmad:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Joe's only on one cut - the last one. The album itself pretty much sucks, I've never like Ben Sidran, but I bought the LP in a cutout bin really cheap and allow it on my shelves simple for Joe.

Rush Hour is "pretty good", actually.

But - both the Sidran cut and the Rush cuts with Joe were in pretty heavy rotation on the AM jazz radio here in the late 70s. None of this insular playlist/Sirius crap we have to settle for today, just good, honest, AM radio jazz, with commercials, static, and commercials for all different kinds of shit.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

But - both the Sidran cut and the Rush cuts with Joe were in pretty heavy rotation on the AM jazz radio here in the late 70s. None of this insular playlist/Sirius crap we have to settle for today, just good, honest, AM radio jazz, with commercials, static, and commercials for all different kinds of shit.

How many cuts is Joe on, on the Rush LP?  I could see tracking that one down.  There don't seem to be any samples on-line, from a cursory search (least none uploaded to YouTube) - but it looks good on paper.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

At least 2 (the ones I still remember from radio) - "59th Street Bridge Song" and "Last Dance" (yeah, the Donna Summer one). Maybe more. I don't know, it's not a record I return to often these days, but it's good enough to have around if you've never heard it. Don't let those two tunes put you off, either. The former is nothing at all like the original, and the latter has Billy Higgins playing the swingingest "disco" bet you' ever heard. Joe plays really meaty solos on both, too.