Radio is DEAD

bdamusic

Not over here, radio stations are increasing profits from commercials and have a slowly growing audience, just the opposite of television stations. I think people enjoy radio because of content, not only music, so it might be that today's broadcasting will disappear, but the form and content of radios will just move on a different platform. If radios move to internet, rather then pay-satellite, it could be a flourishing of indie low cost stations similar to the early indie broadcasting.

Intersting subject anyway.

Edited by porcy62

I think there will always be a place for radio, because it is one of the few truly local media outlets. It's comforting to hear someone talk about your area, and give local news, and even just to hear the local accents in the voices. I'll concede that most radio aims for the lowest common denominator, but ideally a local station will serve its listeners' needs. The few attempts on XM/Sirius for local programming just skim the surface, probably because it doesn't fit their cost model. And if you're in a smaller market, fuggetaboutit.