Turntable mat recommendations

colinmce

Any preferences? Does it matter? Or is this just the kind of thing that only guys with 2k turntables and tube amps care about?

Am I disqualified from answering? I have a $2K+ turntable and tube equipment.

From my experience, the differences have become more subtle over time, as the turntable manufacturers have gotten better at providing stock mats that perform near-optimally with their 'tables. Years ago, there were many, many mats available because the stock mats often left much to be desired.

To my mind, the whole turntable mat situation is now different than a lot of component upgrades, tweaks and accessories. Cables aren't optimized for the components they connect. Tonearms and cartridges aren't necessarily optimized for each other. Speakers aren't optimized for anything "upstream" or your room. But there isn't any reason for a modern turntable manufacturer to provide anything incompatible. And once "compatible" is achieved, we're really working around the edges of performance. If you do decide to change, don't worsen the compatibility! In particular, consider where your turntable manufacturer has chosen to "isolate" vibration - in the feet, in the plinth, in the suspension...perhaps in the mat/record interface. (I'd say this was part of the original Rega Planar design, with the felt mats and "hard" feet and absolutely rock-solid plinth...if I recall correctly.)

Then again, when it comes to audio (or damn near anything), I'm not looking for any excuses to spend. I have enough "needs" without creating any "wants".

Edited by BeBop

I got one of these (don't recall which one, maybe the second level up):

http://www.ringmat.com/pricelist.htm#

when I got a new turntable several years ago. It came highly recommended by the outfit that sold me the turntable, and IIRC I heard a significant difference over my old mat.

I've had a Ringmat for many years. I don't recall much of choice and certainly none of the complexity their website seems to offer . Like Larry I recall being struck by the improvement from my standard felt mat. Try before you buy , as you may notice nothing and your money is wasted.

..there isn't any reason for a modern turntable manufacturer to provide anything incompatible. And once "compatible" is achieved, we're really working around the edges of performance.

...consider where your turntable manufacturer has chosen to "isolate" vibration - in the feet, in the plinth, in the suspension...perhaps in the mat/record interface. (I'd say this was part of the original Rega Planar design, with the felt mats and "hard" feet and absolutely rock-solid plinth...if I recall correctly.)

I second that.

Edited by porcy62

I don't know about putting it in the freezer ( :crazy:) but with the Linn Sondek mat, polarity (i.e. the correct way up) is an issue and makes a significant audible difference !

I've never bothered with any of these 'fancy' mats like the Ringmat.

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...

The true audiophile won't bother with a paltry mat. Nothing less than a Persian rug will do, maybe an Afghan at a pinch, but be careful as the Bukhara pattern interferes with the higher frequencies. :w

A persian rug in front of the loudspeakers is a classy solution for unpleasant resonance and my cat will loves it.

I love the way folks with money (even a small amount) search to find excuses to spend it in ways that might impress a few. I am not one of the few.

I've never bought any piece of music reproduction equipment or associated stuff in order to impress anybody, which is not to say that some of those purchases weren't dubious or based on outright delusions, just that they had nothing to do with ... etc. As proof -- I've never mentioned what equipment or associated stuff I have unless I thought someone was legitimately curious, as on this thread.

By a few I included the purchaser.

But you yourself, on your own label, are very particular about every aspect of the recording/mastering etc. process, right? And for that, we are grateful. So if you are concerned in that way with the side of the chain of sound reproduction that you can control, why should we not try (this side of delusion or conspicuous consumption) to keep in correspondingly good shape our side of the chain of sound reproduction? If RVG took the trouble to make Paul Chambers sound as much as he could like Paul Chambers, i want to return the favor -- to all three of us.