NEW!!! Blue Note Europe Bulletin Board

Aftab

Will you venture over to the Blue Note Europe Bulletin Board?  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck Blue Note (the corporate entity, that is).

Literally or figuratively? My wife’s been out of town for a while, and will be for some time to come, so I’m hoping you know of a plausible, literal, way to pull that off.

Just so Muskrat doesn’t feel alone… I can pretty much second his experience after the ol’ BNBB gave everyone the boot. My “horizons” dramatically opened up, in part, because of AAJ. Sure, there’s a number of factors and I wouldn’t claim post-BNBB posting is the only influence (far from it), but Blue Note isn’t nearly as close to my heart as it once was.

Still, I can’t say I’ve so much animosity towards BN, or such fierce loyalty to another board that it prevents me from participating wherever my fancy momentarily lands. For what it’s worth.

Regardless of how I feel about the way Blue Note handled the closing of their US forum, Blue Note is still my favorite record label. I see no reason to stay away from the european version of the board any more than I would stay away from a US version, if they chose to resurrect it.

I don't understand Jim's attitude one bit. As one of the more vocal contributor's to that old board, his emotional investment was higher than many. However, nothing was done to him that should cause such a reversal. After all, this place is pretty much the defacto "Blue Note Bulletin Board" and the people here are what made that place. Saying "Fuck Blue Note" when using it in the context of the old board, is, in essence saying "Fuck You" to all of us former members. I remember the good in that place. I would think Jim does too.

One more thing, you can bitch about it all you want but the simple fact is that WE KILLED THE BLUE NOTE BOARD. Not Tom, not Blue Note, not any faceless moderator... we did it. By allowing that place to become a board that Blue Note couldn't support, we caused it's closure. Look in the mirror before slinging the mud at Blue Note. If people had cut the crap that was going on there prior to the shutdown, we'd all still be there.

Later,

Kevin

Well, the Blue Note of Lion and Woff's era is one of my favorite record labels; the EMI property and its management I don't feel the same way about at all.

I agree it was the actions of members (not necessarily those residing here) that brougth the board to closure. I think that the way the management of the board, or the lack of same, brought about the closing so abrubtly sucked. But I don't really harbor any resentment against them. I'll check out their European version and an American one if it surfaces.

But if Dr. Bobblekoph and Red Meanie are going to hang out there a lot, I won't! :wacko:

Edited by jazzbo

But if Dr. Bobblekoph and Red Meanie are going to hang out there a lot, I won't! :wacko:

Oh zat's a shame my little Austinite!! Zat stagnant little euro-board could really use a few dozen or so of your best scantily clad girly pics to get ze blood flowing and elevate ze dialogue!! Ja? Ja? :excited::excited::excited:

Edited by Achtung Dr. Freud Calling

One more thing, you can bitch about it all you want but the simple fact is that WE KILLED THE BLUE NOTE BOARD. Not Tom, not Blue Note, not any faceless moderator... we did it. By allowing that place to become a board that Blue Note couldn't support, we caused it's closure.

Kevin: On the one hand, maybe you are right. But doesn't that just drive home Jim's emotion? We now have the tremendous luxury here at Organissimo to interact freely about jazz without a thought to conforming to what EMI is comfortable in supporting.

As long as we have this, why do we need that?

The lack of moderation killed the BN board. How were we, as members with no power, supposed to control other members who's only purpose was to act like assholes?

This place could easily wind up the same way if all moderation was aborted. I don't see how that would be your fault or Sangry's fault or anyone's fault except mine for pulling the plug on moderators. Ditto with the BNBB.

The irony is that they pulled the plug after the Grammy awards and now that Norah's record has sold something like 18 million copies, they could've easily afforded to hire a moderator, or at least supplement a current staff person's pay in order for him to sit at home for a couple of hours every night and moderate. It was premature to say the least.

But so what? This place has become more than I could've imagined and I'm having a blast with it and from what everyone's said on this thread and others, this is the place to be! :)

If people had cut the crap that was going on there prior to the shutdown, we'd all still be there.

I'm not sure you mean it this way, but that sounds almost like saying, "If we had all been good boys and girls, Mommy and Daddy wouldn't have sent us to our room." Ideally, the online jazz community will have forums, such as this one, AAJ, etc., that cater to community needs and not vice versa. I for one won't be kowtowing to Blue Note any time soon. The customer is always right, after all :) (That said, if you're referring to CD-R trading on the BNBB, I don't engage in or support that myself.)

As for BN the corporate entity, I feel neither love or hate towards them and certainly no sense of loyalty at all. They're just a company. I buy jazz albums I like, whoever releases them. Of late, it looks like BN has putting out a bunch of uninteresting crossover stuff, so they don't get my buck, at least where those albums are concerned.

I tend to agree with Kevin Bresnahan and disagree with JSngry that the BNBB was not something wholly independent of the members who comprised the Board.

The death knell occurred on the day Bo departed and no new moderator was appointed. From that point the Board began to spin out of control.

I LOVE the old ('55-'65) Blue Note product and I really enjoyed the old BNBB, at least prior to Bo's exit.

This Board is a godsend and all thanks are owed to B3er. This Board is my new jazz internet home and even if they resurrected the old BNBB that Board could never be the same again. EMI/Blue Note killed it.

Edited by grey

Hey Bobblehead, sure, it probably could use some "babes" on that board but I won't be starting a thread. I guess pictures of beautiful women offend you the way that failed attempts at wise guy humor and dissing almost everyone like a school yard bully offends me.

Edited by jazzbo

I don't understand Jim's attitude one bit.

Simple - that was then, this is now. What was good then was good, but life goes on, things change, and doing something good now is more important to me than attempting to recreate a Camelot that may or may not have been illusory in the first place, and right here right now right on is working for me just fine, thank you very much. I'm loyal to ideals, not brand names.

Same goes for the music itself, even moreso (yalldonthearmenow :w:w:w )

Edited by JSngry

I guess pictures of beautiful women offend you the way that failed attempts at wise guy humor and dissing almost everyone like a school yard bully offends me.

Ja, ja...I think I see where you're coming from. Well if that's the case my boy, and you feel zat strongly about it --- why don't you just summon up all your courage and tell Mr. DEEP exactly what's been on your mind since he joined the board? I've been observing him for some time, and I'm confident think he can stomach anything that you hurl at him. You're a leader here!!! People are depending upon you!!! So go right ahead and take ze bull by the horns!