2014 NEA Jazz Masters

Mark Stryker

Coincidentally, I was just talking with Harold Mabern (speaking of master musicians deserving of wider recognition...) about Richard Davis some last night. Although musicians and aficionados seem to appreciate Davis, it's fantastic that he's being acknowledged for his contributions to the music in such a public way. Congratulations to Richard Davis and the rest of the 2014 NEA Jazz Masters!

EDIT: I started about musicians who deserve to be recognized as NEA Jazz Masters. Although I can't argue with Jarrett being recognized as an NEA Jazz Master, it's baffling that Paul Bley isn't yet one...

Edited by Justin V

Very interesting class indeed! I did a long interview with Jamey for the fourth part of the Indiana jazz series... he's a very sharp, funny storyteller. Glad as well to see Davis get this recognition.

As learned in recent years, it's really the campaign put forth by the supporters of the eventual recipients that get's them in; in Mr. Davis' case apparently someone has been in his corner!

Although I can't argue with Jarrett being recognized as an NEA Jazz Master, it's baffling that Paul Bley isn't yet one...

Couldn't agree more with Justin about Paul Bley. One of the most diverse, original, voices still performing and very deserving of the honor. Absolutely one of my favorites for a long-time now.

Would his being a Canadian citizen impact his candidacy?

LWayne

Edited by LWayne

• 6 months later...

"I always needed a sonic surprise that could help me continue to want to live. Not just to be alive, but to be aware of how miraculous it is, this thing we call being alive....I believe in the power of creativity and the power of creativity to effect motivation; creativity to effect alignment; creativity as part of a holistic sealing pattern that helps us to understand one another and community."

EDIT: I started about musicians who deserve to be recognized as NEA Jazz Masters. Although I can't argue with Jarrett being recognized as an NEA Jazz Master, it's baffling that Paul Bley isn't yet one...

Bley's Canadian citizenship might be a factor there.

I forgot that I started about who deserves to be named an NEA Jazz Master 7 months ago. I addressed that issue there: "How long has Bley lived in the US? Since the '50s or '60s, I presume. According to NEA's page, "the recipients must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States," which I'm assuming Bley is. It's worth noting that Toots Thielemans, who is deservedly an NEA Jazz Master, became a US citizen in 1957.

It seems that anyone can nominate one person a year, and nominations remain active for 5 years. Perhaps one of our in-house journalists, or anyone else for that matter, could further the cause of a deserving musician."