NEA Jazz Masters: Who's Left?

Justin V

With the announcement of the 2014 class, I looked at the list of NEA Jazz Masters. While I was pleased to see that Andrew Hill was recognized, I was extremely disappointed and shocked to see that Sam Rivers and Paul Motian weren't. I thought that it'd be interesting to discuss living musicians who deserve to be recognized as NEA Jazz Masters. Although I will likely think of many more musicians as soon as I post this, my list isn't meant to be exhaustive. Here are but a few deserving musicians, listed by instrument:

Saxophone

George Coleman

Odeon Pope

Billy Harper

Joe McPhee

Charles McPherson

Sonny Simmons

Trumpet

Joe McPhee (again)

Bobby Bradford

Tom Harrell

Trombone

Julian Priester

Piano

Paul Bley

Harold Mabern

Richard Wyands

Steve Kuhn

Carla Bley

Ran Blake

Vibraphone

Gary Burton

Bass

Cecil McBee

Buster Williams

Henry Grimes

Rufus Reid

Reggie Workman

Bob Cranshaw

Dave Holland

Steve Swallow

Drums

Mickey Roker

Billy Hart

Donald Bailey

Joe Chambers

Barry Altschul

Victor Lewis

EDIT: I've added a few whom I should've listed, but I'm trying to resist the urge to keep adding more, as I know that others will likely mention them. I've also removed Joe Wilder's name because, as Mark Stryker correctly pointed out, Wilder was recognized in 2008.

Edited by Justin V

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe Wilder was class of 2008.

If I had a vote the first two musicians I would add would be Billy Hart and Marcus Belgrave (advocacy) -- their musicianship, spirit and marriage of craft, creativity, tradition and openness embodies so much of what I value in jazz. Neither are "stars," but the world is infinitely a better, hipper place with them in it.

Edited by Mark Stryker

fwiw - is Paul Bley not in because he was born in Canada?

only reason that he isn't listed, I would think. I mean

Living musicians - musicians over 60 I would think makes sense

Edward Kidd Jordan - born 1935

William Parker - born 1952

Marilyn Crispell - born 1947

Gerry Hemingway - born 1952

Milford Graves - born 1941

Andrew Cyrille - born 1939

Mark Dresser - born 1952

not surprised that both the *great* Fred Anderson (1929 - 2010) and the legendary Joe Maneri (1927 - 2009) were overlooked during their lifetimes

Edited by Steve Reynolds

fwiw - is Paul Bley not in because he was born in Canada?

only reason that he isn't listed, I would think. I mean

Living musicians - musicians over 60 I would think makes sense

Edward Kidd Jordan - born 1935

William Parker - born 1952

Marilyn Crispell - born 1947

Gerry Hemingway - born 1952

Milford Graves - born 1941

Andrew Cyrille - born 1939

Mark Dresser - born 1952

not surprised that both the *great* Fred Anderson (1929 - 2010) and the legendary Joe Maneri (1927 - 2009) were overlooked during their lifetimes

Good candidates, Steve. I can't believe that I omitted some of them, particularly Andrew Cyrille, who has to be one of the greatest living drummers.

How long has Bley lived in the US? Since the '50s or '60s, I presume. According to NEA's page, "the recipients must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States," which I'm assuming Bley is. It's worth noting that Toots Thielemans, who is deservedly an NEA Jazz Master, became a US citizen in 1957.

It seems that anyone can nominate one person a year, and nominations remain active for 5 years. Perhaps one of our in-house journalists, or anyone else for that matter, could further the cause of a deserving musician.

I am sure they don't have to be over 60, Steve, or alive. The Marsalis family in total is on there. Quick check....Artie Shaw and Sarah Vaughan are on there.

Not mentioned

Roscoe Mitchell, or anyone from Art Ensemble of Chicago

Marshall Allen

Hamid Drake

David S. Ware

Chuck Nessa

Joe Lovano

John McLaughlin

Pharoah Sanders

Tim Berne

Drew Gress

I am sure they don't have to be over 60, Steve, or alive. The Marsalis family in total is on there. Quick check....Artie Shaw and Sarah Vaughan are on there.

Not mentioned

Marshall Allen

Hamid Drake

David S. Ware

Chuck Nessa

Joe Lovano

John McLaughlin

Pharoah Sanders

Tim Berne

Drew Gress

I have been biting my lip for lack of a Roscoe Mitchell mention and am now startled to see my name mentioned. Dang!

I could say the same about William Parker. He's been meandering/mailing it in for over a decade now. The only time I can stand him anymore is when he's with The Drake. It's really like....Hamid is here....I have to really play now.

Not mentioned

Marshall Allen

Hamid Drake

David S. Ware

Chuck Nessa

Joe Lovano

John McLaughlin

Pharoah Sanders

Tim Berne

Drew Gress

I have been biting my lip for lack of a Roscoe Mitchell mention and am now startled to see my name mentioned. Dang!

Without you....there would be no Roscoe Mitchell and many other musicians/recordings.

Edited by Blue Train

Not mentioned

Marshall Allen

Hamid Drake

David S. Ware

Chuck Nessa

Joe Lovano

John McLaughlin

Pharoah Sanders

Tim Berne

Drew Gress

As mentioned in my original post, my list wasn't meant to be exhaustive. There's nothing to bite your lip about; if you feel that anyone deserving has been omitted, mention them. I figured that someone more familiar with Roscoe Mitchell's work would suggest him. If the Marsalis family can be recognized as a group, it seems that they should have recognized the AEC while Lester Bowie and Malachi Favors were still alive.

The official criteria, as listed on the NEA site, are:

"Fellowships are awarded to living individuals on the basis of nominations from the public including the music community. Nominees must demonstrate a significant contribution to the art form through their publicly recognized and accessible body of work in the field of jazz. The recipients must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States. Posthumous nominations or awards will not be considered. Individuals who have previously received a NEA lifetime honor award (National Heritage Fellowship, Jazz Masters Fellowship, or an Opera Honor) are not eligible."

That means that David S. Ware is ineligible, but I'm not sure that they would've ever gotten around to honoring him, unfortunately. I emailed the NEA contact person and asked about Paul Bley. I was told that the nomination list is confidential and that the nomination of a musician who has already been nominated would act as a re-nomination, extending the original nomination beyond its initial five years.

Another candidate: Henry Threadgill.

Edited by Justin V

Only problem is Artie Shaw and Sarah Vaughn were not alive....and that's just a quick search of who I know died beforehand. Monk on the other hand was alive.

Artie Shaw died in December 2004 and was named a Jazz Master the month before. Sarah Vaughan was named a Jazz Master in 1989 and died in 1990.

Edited by Justin V

Thanks.

No, thank you.

No they don't announce it until June.

This link from November 4, 2004 (already posted above) reports on a gala event from the day before announcing the 2005 masters. Shaw died the following month on December 30th, although it was before the official award ceremony that January.

Edited by Justin V

I favor:

Roscoe

Chuck

Cuscuna

Threadgill

Bobby Bradford

Gary Burton (not my favorite player, but he belongs)

Billy Hart

Joe Chambers

DeFranco (already named an NEA master)

Tyner (ditto)

G. Wilson (ditto)

Woods (ditto)

A lot of the others mentioned above are worthy figures but not masters IMO

Just to show how differently people can think about these things, on another online discussion board, a member posted this list of musicians who should be honored:

Sir Charles Thompson

Dick Hyman

Bob Dorough

Dave Frishberg

Mark Murphy

Jessica Williams

Edited by Hot Ptah

Despite my (and many others) many issues with William Parker (which fwiw are documented for a couple of more days on the other board), he deserves to be honored.

His legacy will be immense and his impact on the music has been much more than most realize.

and as wonderful drummers that both Billy Hart and Joe Chambers are, they cannot be honered before the *great* Andrew Cyrille

As much as I respect Mr. Larry Kart, they are simply not in the same category of musician or impact on the jazz/music/improvisational scene in general as Andrew Cyrille.

some of us might consider him the greatest living American drummer.