"London Is The Place for Me" Series & Joe Harriott

romualdo

Anybody else into this thoroughly enjoyable series of CDs produced by Honest Jon's in the UK

It covers UK Calypso (& jazz) recorded in the early to late 50's on the Melodisc, Lyragon & other labels (primarily 78's & 45's)

The booklets are filled with information but a little light on discographical details

Vols 5 & 6 were recently issued & contain 3 Buddy Pipp's Highlifers titles (Lyragon 78's) with Joe Harriott making all 4 titles (Ackee Blues was released on Killer Joe & the Proper Box) finally available on CD

Does anyone know what label the other two Buddy Pipp titles (Cuban Nightingale & Prospero) were released on & who played on them

Did Harry Beckett play on some of the West African Rhythm Brothers releases??

That series certainly raised the profile within the media here of Lord Kitchener and the MV 'Empire Windrush' emigres. There's even a plaque for them now at their arrival port of Tilbury, I believe - plus they got a 'feature' at the Olympics opening ceremony, such was their influence. By all accounts, this music added lots of spice to a rather staid 1950s post-war Britain.

I must get hold of these issues from Honest Jons... seen them in the Portobello Rd shop every time I've called in there.

Edited by sidewinder

That series certainly raised the profile within the media here of Lord Kitchener and the MV 'Empire Windrush' emigres. There's even a plaque for them now at their arrival port of Tilbury, I believe - plus they got a 'feature' at the Olympics opening ceremony, such was their influence. By all accounts, this music added lots of spice to a rather staid 1950s post-war Britain.

I must get hold of these issues from Honest Jons... seen them in the Portobello Rd shop every time I've called in there.

If you can track it down, well worth watching the 50th anniversary TV series 'Windrush', This book from it is superb:

51GQ6XRD3XL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Interesting - I'll look out for it !

The 4 programmes are on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbNH4JBQiSY

A lot of first hand testimony including musicians. The sections describing the shock of the first migrants at the coldness and hostility of the British are very sad. And the third programme that includes the New Cross fire really intrigued me - there was so much going on in the 70s that I was only distantly aware.

Good taken alongside this book:

51AAACQ7ARL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

My interest in reggae is marginal but I found it fascinating. A lot about music in the UK alongside the dominant Jamaican focus.

I use the Lord Kitchener 'London is the Place for Me' in school (he's interviewed in the Phillips series) and the kids love it.

Edited by A Lark Ascending