BFT 112 Discussion

webbcity

Hi all,

Thanks for participating in this! It's my first Blindfold Test and I'm hoping it's neither too easy nor too hard (though I seriously doubt it is the latter). But as others have said here recently, I'm more interested in your thoughts and reactions than in personnel guesses. Though I know a lot of you here are much better at that than I am. :)

If you haven't received the link or are having any issues with it, please let me know.

Other than that, hope you find something to enjoy here.

:party:

Cheers!

Tim

Thanks for sending the download link. As I will leave for the Baltic Sea on Thursday, here are my thoughts on first listen:

Track 1: This sounded familiar ... and indeed, it is a track I thought was a perfect BFT item but never had the opportunity to use. IIRC track C5 from this album. Great to hear how the sound of this player changed audibly at least twice in his career: From a Hawkins-Byas inspired tenor player to some California Cool original to some heavy Coltrane influence.

Track 2: The same saxist, for sure, in his post-Coltrane-influence phase; Woody Shaw on trumpet. From a mainsteam album? Don't have the time to check. I still like this, and the sound of the Rhodes player. Nice. Will have to pull this out after my vacation.

Track 3: Sounds familiar, too ... makes me write while I think: California big band? Conte Candoli? Gerald Wilson? Again, that tenor player who was kind of ubiquitous on the L.A. scene. Very nice track sequence ... Should be from some live Gerald Wilson LP. Now I know it was that peculiar musical energy a Wilson chart projects that sounded familiar.

Track 4: No idea who this is. I have to admit I grew tired at a certain point of those post-Coltrane-MyCoy modal explorations. Was nice back then, and fun for the players, but do not feel an urge to listen to this any more. But this is a nice sax player, I love the way he renders that almost child somng like theme.

Track 5: Nice theme. Like the bari, but have no idea who it is.

Track 6: I regret I sold that LP. It sounded terrific, like most Contemporary recordings, but I never could make up my mind whether that flutist was simply trying, not very well trained, or intenionally sounding like that. Perhaps it was just that I needed something more conventional back then. From this album, IIRC.

Track 7: Hmmm ... sounds like one of Hutcherson's California bands, or the pool of players it was recruited from. Nice. Maybe I still have that somewhere ...

Track 8: More post-Coltranesque soprano ... oh well .... that's an excellent trombonist with great chops - Rosolino? Or Jay Jay in great form?

More to come ...

2 – Love this! Clearly 70’s inspired, and sounds like the trumpet player’s album. If I do not already own this, will look to acquire it as soon as the answers are revealed. This is just a great sound.

3 – 60’s/70’s era big band – Buddy Rich? I like it.

4 – Very stately, sounds nice, but doesn’t really go anywhere for me, though it makes lovely background music. Suspect this is an artist that I like, and the pianist has done his requisite studying of the McCoy Tyner chord charts. For that matter, the soprano player studied Coltrane carefully. Feel like I should know the tune. Early-mid 70’s? Wouldn’t shock me if this was Philly-based, though it’s probably NYC.

6 – Prince Lasha/Sonny Simmons,”Green and Gold” from ‘The Cry’. They were early discoveries for me when I first encountered them on the “Nuttin’ Out Jones”. Love their stuff from that era. Sonny Simmons’ comeback album on Qwest was the biggest mindblower to me ever. How could he be alive, how could he be back, how could he be playing so well, and how could he be on Quincy Jones’s label?

7 – Sounds like it has to be something from Joe Henderson’s “Mode for Joe” but can’t place the tune (though it’s one I’ve heard), so is more likely something recorded later in that line of thing. But that sure sounds like Lee Morgan and Bobby Hutcherson , and Cedar Walton to me. Probably something I’m just missing. Maybe a Lee Morgan album, gotta be 60’s Blue Note, unless it’s a spectacular knockoff (which is possible).

12 – fun! That is one ancient sounding B3 style. Jack McDuff?

Bonus 1 - Jack Bruce “Things We Like” album with John McLaughlin, Jon Hiseman, and Dick Heckstall-Smith. Interesting, but not something I listen to.

Well, well...you guys are good. Two posts in and already two of the "tricks" I thought I had up my sleeve have been discovered. I'm not nearly as clever as I thought I was. :) Nice ears! And I wondered if #6 would be too easy. One of my favorites though.

I can't disagree with any of the guesses so far, and that's all I'll say for now.

Thanks for the thoughtful comments so far!

Track 2: The same saxist, for sure, in his post-Coltrane-influence phase; Woody Shaw on trumpet. From a mainsteam album? Don't have the time to check. I still like this, and the sound of the Rhodes player. Nice. Will have to pull this out after my vacation.

You are correct on all counts except that it's not Woody Shaw.

Track 7: Hmmm ... sounds like one of Hutcherson's California bands, or the pool of players it was recruited from. Nice. Maybe I still have that somewhere ...

Not Hutcherson, and I don't want to say too much else to give it away just yet.

Track 8: More post-Coltranesque soprano ... oh well .... that's an excellent trombonist with great chops - Rosolino? Or Jay Jay in great form?

This could be one of the tougher ones...the trombone player is not a household name.

2 – Love this! Clearly 70’s inspired, and sounds like the trumpet player’s album. If I do not already own this, will look to acquire it as soon as the answers are revealed. This is just a great sound.

Yeah, this is a great one. Not the trumpet player's album though. But I'm sure you will know the leader.

3 – 60’s/70’s era big band – Buddy Rich? I like it.

Not Buddy Rich, but you've got the era right.

4 – Very stately, sounds nice, but doesn’t really go anywhere for me, though it makes lovely background music. Suspect this is an artist that I like, and the pianist has done his requisite studying of the McCoy Tyner chord charts. For that matter, the soprano player studied Coltrane carefully. Feel like I should know the tune. Early-mid 70’s? Wouldn’t shock me if this was Philly-based, though it’s probably NYC.

NYC is right for where it was recorded, but it's not where the saxophonist is from. This is a huge favorite of mine but I realize it will not be everyone's taste.

6 – Prince Lasha/Sonny Simmons,”Green and Gold” from ‘The Cry’. They were early discoveries for me when I first encountered them on the “Nuttin’ Out Jones”. Love their stuff from that era. Sonny Simmons’ comeback album on Qwest was the biggest mindblower to me ever. How could he be alive, how could he be back, how could he be playing so well, and how could he be on Quincy Jones’s label?

Right on!

7 – Sounds like it has to be something from Joe Henderson’s “Mode for Joe” but can’t place the tune (though it’s one I’ve heard), so is more likely something recorded later in that line of thing. But that sure sounds like Lee Morgan and Bobby Hutcherson , and Cedar Walton to me. Probably something I’m just missing. Maybe a Lee Morgan album, gotta be 60’s Blue Note, unless it’s a spectacular knockoff (which is possible).

This one is kind of tricky...don't want to reveal too much yet but this one may actually be a surprise in some ways.

12 – fun! That is one ancient sounding B3 style. Jack McDuff?

Not McDuff, and again, don't want to give away too much yet...

Bonus 1 - Jack Bruce “Things We Like” album with John McLaughlin, Jon Hiseman, and Dick Heckstall-Smith. Interesting, but not something I listen to.

Yes! Again another big favorite of mine, because I love Heckstall-Smith's playing, and I think Bruce acquits himself pretty well on the upright. I'm a big fan of his playing and singing in a lot of other settings too.

Yes! Again another big favorite of mine, because I love Heckstall-Smith's playing, and I think Bruce acquits himself pretty well on the upright. I'm a big fan of his playing and singing in a lot of other settings too.

I was a big big fan of Colosseum, where Hiseman and Heckstall-Smith did their best work. Also liked the era of Mayall they were involved with.

Edited by felser

Track 1 - Man, this is a bitch and I'm loving every second of it. I have to guess Illinois. I'm hearing Jug and Lockjaw, but it's neither. Illinois is the only other guy who could have balls this big. Unless I'm full of crap and you snuck Hal Singer in there on me.

Track 2 - Well, that's clearly Harold Land, and there seems to be a lot going on. This sounds like a real Chocolate Mess. There's the unmistakeable Oscar Brashear. Man, why is this guy not better known!?!?

Track 3 - Sounds an awful lot like Charles Tolliver's writing. But wait, there's Harold Land. Man, whatever it is, The IT's Where It's At! I pretty sure on this one, though sadly, I had by-passed this one in the past. This is much hipper than I remember.

Track 4 - Those open chords sure sound a lot like McCoy. The soprano is bugging me, so it could be Sonny Fortune. I'm sure of McCoy, but that soprano seems too sedate to be Sonny. You've got me on this one.

Track 5 - Now we're talkin'! In fact, we could be having Conversations! Nothing not to love about a second of this.

Track 6 - Balls out alto. Shades of Jarman, shades of Lake. Laptop isn't picking up the bass too well, but this has that Odwalla groove to it. Wait, the solo is on, now... range seems too high to be Malachi. Two bassists. If I have this, shame on me for not playing it more. Awesome... damnit, you got me again!

Track 7 - Damnit, I have this. I was leaning Andrew Hill on piano, but something is pushing me more towards Herbie. I'm going back and forth between Thurman Green and Grachan Moncur on trombone, but not with any degree of confidence. That certainly sounds like Woody Shaw on trumpet, but it could be early Oscar Brashear (very brassy like OB); is this one of the Mosaic Selects? I'm not that familiar with those. Drum sound is hard to peg on the laptop speakers, but sure seems like Joe Chambers. I know I'm going to kick myself because this HAS to be in my collection.

Track 8 - Piano sounds like Strata-east to me. There's something very L.A. about the sound of this to me. Could be Cowell, but I don't think so. Sounds like Fortune on soprano, again. Could that be John Gordon on 'bone? Doesn't sound like Dick Griffin to me.

Track 9 - Song sounds like Monk to me, but also sounds like one of David Murray's tunes. I'm going to take a stab and say it's Curtis Clark.

Track 10 - I am so filled with love for this that I'm not sure what to say about it. I swear I was just listening to this. It sounds a lot like some of the Abdullah Ibrahim duets, but I'm not able to peg that bad ass tenor. Oh wait! That's my man Ari!!!! Oh What a World We're Living In when Ari almost fools me!

Track 11 - I should recognize it and don't, which makes me think it's one of the Douglas Ewart projects. Sounds like Ed Blackwell's drumming to me. I like the alto flute, but I can't decide where I am on the horn lines in the background. I'm going to hate myself for not getting the tenor, but there are so many possibilities presenting themselves that I just can't commit to any of them.

Track 12 - I love this, but don't recognize it. I can't place the flute. I'm hearing touches of Fathead, but I don't think it's him. I'm going to shoot from the hip and say Les Spann but there is no degree of confidence. I keep pinging on Fathead, rhythmically.

Track 13 - Stumped again. The ideas are Gary Bartz, but the sound isn't. Sounds like one of those Norman Connors dates from the mid-seventies. Maybe Wendell Harrison?

Track 14 - Sounds an awful lot like Sonny Sharrock to me. This is plum weird. The drummer, and this is a strange comment, sounds like a rock drummer playing in this style (think Ginger Baker). Trying to figure out the beastly tenor and I'm striking out left and right then the double horn thing starts and I'm thinking, Wow, Rahsaan make sense, but I'm just thinking it's not him.

Track 15 - Okay, so I'm typing the last thing listening saying, "Oh come on, who's voice is that." Several ideas pop in then my subconscious punches me in the face and calls me a dumbass. Nice pick. People are going to love the reveal on this one. Transferring it to the iPod now for a beach run. Didn't realize until hearing this how Universal my Jones was for a fix of this guy.

Well played, my friend... well played.

After reading thread:

Whoa! I'm blown away by the ID on #1! #6 I should have had and was even thinking PL. GAH! Feeling pretty good about my read on #14, though.

Edited by Thom Keith

BFT112

Well, here we go, for another series of improvised comments without much thought behind them, but in the spirit of the Down Beat BFTs.

1 Something very familiar about this band. And that fabulous tenor player! I feel sure I know him, but maybe I just ought to know him. There’s bits like Fred Jackson in there and bits like Jimmy Forrest, too, but I don’t think it’s either of them. I’ll have yet another listen.

2 An interesting Latin bit, with a much more modern tenor player, but another I think I ought to know. He’s got a sound a bit like Benny Golson but a way of playing that’s more Joe Henderson-oriented than Golson usually is. The trumpet player seems more full of chops than melody, however. However much like a 1970s Muse album this sounds, I think it’s a good bit more recent than that. The rhythm section is alarmingly ingenious; bells of some kind and, later, brilliant use of cowbell, and all the time right there on the nose, but changing all the time. The more you listen to this, the more it’s the drummer’s record. I’d like to say it’s a bit of Cecil Brooks III that I haven’t heard…

3 Well, here’s a trumpet player with all that Hubbard stuff, and another modern Joe Henderson type player. But it doesn’t sound too recent; I think I detected a scratch in the LP so it’s probably before the 90s. And it’s live, so maybe it ain’t a scratch, just extraneous noise. Pianist is a bit quiet or I’d think it was Cedar Walton.

I’ve got a suspicion it’s Gerald Wilson’s band, but the voicing of the saxes isn’t quite his thing.

4 Is this Steve Lacy? Never heard him before but this sounds like how he ought to play, from what I’ve read. Another damn good rhythm section. Actually, this is pretty nice stuff; if it’s Lacy, well, I’ve been missing something. If it’s someone else, well, I’ve been missing something.

5 Can’t say I really like this one, though it’s kind of interesting; but a bit too aggressively modern for my taste.

6 See, I didn’t get the head; what was the point of that head, then off into a nice bootin’ rhythm that seems to have nothing to do with the head? I mean, sounds like a good ol’ blues to me and so little wrong with that, that I don’t see why they tried to disguise it. OK, I’ve listened to it again and I get the head – at least the first part of the head, still not the second; still too clever by half.

7 Here’s another bunch of pretty modern jazz musicians making interesting music but it’s not CAPTURING me.

8 Unusual combination, alto & trombone. Somewhat arresting. The trombone’s sound is kind of bland like Curtis Fuller or J J Johnson, whereas the alto’s nothing of the kind.

Damn fine rhythm sections you’re picking, Tim.

9 Piano trio, for a change. It’s NOT Gene Harris :D Not easy to identify a pianist by the sound; sounds like someone playing the piano…

10 Oh, I’m really right into this from the first few seconds. This is really music to capture you (well, me, I mean). Doesn’t matter who’s playing; it’s the music, the singing, the song. Fuckin’ ‘ell this is beautiful! Thank you for this music.

11 This made me think of some of those fifties Jimmy Giuffre pieces I heard decades ago and have almost, but not quite exactly, remembered.

12 Yeah, I thought that was an organ playing those chords behind the flute in the head. Another great rhythm section. I think this is some fifties Verve recording – perhaps it’s even Herbie Mann with a pianist who didn’t usually play organ. Good, too.

13 ‘The beauty of simplicity’ – something familiar about the soprano player, but I don’t know. And the rock guitar solo after leaves me cold, I’m afraid. Not really for real, seems to me.

Bonus 1 Hm… Another rock guitar – this one sounds a bit like Sonny Sharrock, though, so there’s somewhat more interest for me. Well, this is some modern hard boppers I don’t know but, when I’m in the mood for it, this is often just right for me. Is this someone playing two horns at once who isn’t either Braith or Rahsaan? Well, it ain’t any Braith I know, but the voicing of those horns is more like Braith than Rahsaan. But the sound of them isn’t like Braith. Confess – dunno.

Bonus 2 Someone takin’ care of business. So what business. Well, related to ‘So what’. Seventies stuff. Is this someone like Joe Lee Wilson? Well, could be…

Well, some fine stuff there, Tim. Damn, sure I’ll get #1 after a few more listens.

MG

Not sure, but I'll gladly offer my 2¢. Venus is an exceptional album. Ultimate Frontier is very good, but just a shade below Venus. Live at the Green Mill is OUTSTANDING!!! His work with Kahil El'Zabar's Ritual Trio is all excellent (and you'll hear a lot of similarity between his piano work there and some of his own compositions, particularly the title track on Venus). He's one of those guys who, once you know him, you'll spot him instantly (think Tyrone Washington).

Not sure, but I'll gladly offer my 2¢. Venus is an exceptional album. Ultimate Frontier is very good, but just a shade below Venus. Live at the Green Mill is OUTSTANDING!!! His work with Kahil El'Zabar's Ritual Trio is all excellent (and you'll hear a lot of similarity between his piano work there and some of his own compositions, particularly the title track on Venus). He's one of those guys who, once you know him, you'll spot him instantly (think Tyrone Washington).

Thanks Thom. Is this stuff all on Delmark?

MG

Track 1 - Man, this is a bitch and I'm loving every second of it. I have to guess Illinois. I'm hearing Jug and Lockjaw, but it's neither. Illinois is the only other guy who could have balls this big. Unless I'm full of crap and you snuck Hal Singer in there on me.

You now know the surprise of this track as it was ID'd in the 2nd post! I really didn't think anybody would get this one. Oh well. :)

Track 2 - Well, that's clearly Harold Land, and there seems to be a lot going on. This sounds like a real Chocolate Mess. There's the unmistakeable Oscar Brashear. Man, why is this guy not better known!?!?

Bingo! If you didn't get this one, we would have had a serious talk. :)

Track 3 - Sounds an awful lot like Charles Tolliver's writing. But wait, there's Harold Land. Man, whatever it is, The IT's Where It's At! I pretty sure on this one, though sadly, I had by-passed this one in the past. This is much hipper than I remember.

Right again!

Track 4 - Those open chords sure sound a lot like McCoy. The soprano is bugging me, so it could be Sonny Fortune. I'm sure of McCoy, but that soprano seems too sedate to be Sonny. You've got me on this one.

Interesting...yes, there sure is a McCoy influence there...I think you may be surprised by this though. I hesitate to say too much, but you DO know this album.

Track 5 - Now we're talkin'! In fact, we could be having Conversations! Nothing not to love about a second of this.

Ding ding ding! And it just occurred to me that we should think about covering this tune.

Track 6 - Balls out alto. Shades of Jarman, shades of Lake. Laptop isn't picking up the bass too well, but this has that Odwalla groove to it. Wait, the solo is on, now... range seems too high to be Malachi. Two bassists. If I have this, shame on me for not playing it more. Awesome... damnit, you got me again!

You now know this one. We actually listened to this on the way up to a gig in Portland many years ago and you had a similar reaction. This is good stuff.

Track 7 - Damnit, I have this. I was leaning Andrew Hill on piano, but something is pushing me more towards Herbie. I'm going back and forth between Thurman Green and Grachan Moncur on trombone, but not with any degree of confidence. That certainly sounds like Woody Shaw on trumpet, but it could be early Oscar Brashear (very brassy like OB); is this one of the Mosaic Selects? I'm not that familiar with those. Drum sound is hard to peg on the laptop speakers, but sure seems like Joe Chambers. I know I'm going to kick myself because this HAS to be in my collection.

Sadly wrong on all counts. But what about the alto player?

Track 8 - Piano sounds like Strata-east to me. There's something very L.A. about the sound of this to me. Could be Cowell, but I don't think so. Sounds like Fortune on soprano, again. Could that be John Gordon on 'bone? Doesn't sound like Dick Griffin to me.

Actually not LA, and not any of the folks you mentioned.

Track 9 - Song sounds like Monk to me, but also sounds like one of David Murray's tunes. I'm going to take a stab and say it's Curtis Clark.

Not Curtis, but that's an interesting guess. You know these folks but you could be surprised by this. I want to say more, but can't just yet.

Track 10 - I am so filled with love for this that I'm not sure what to say about it. I swear I was just listening to this. It sounds a lot like some of the Abdullah Ibrahim duets, but I'm not able to peg that bad ass tenor. Oh wait! That's my man Ari!!!! Oh What a World We're Living In when Ari almost fools me!

Correct sir! Ari is the man!

Track 11 - I should recognize it and don't, which makes me think it's one of the Douglas Ewart projects. Sounds like Ed Blackwell's drumming to me. I like the alto flute, but I can't decide where I am on the horn lines in the background. I'm going to hate myself for not getting the tenor, but there are so many possibilities presenting themselves that I just can't commit to any of them.

Not Ewart, but you're in the right ballpark. I'm not sure you know the tenor, so don't hate yourself. :)

Track 12 - I love this, but don't recognize it. I can't place the flute. I'm hearing touches of Fathead, but I don't think it's him. I'm going to shoot from the hip and say Les Spann but there is no degree of confidence. I keep pinging on Fathead, rhythmically.

I'm glad to hear you like this one...not Fathead or Spann though.

Track 13 - Stumped again. The ideas are Gary Bartz, but the sound isn't. Sounds like one of those Norman Connors dates from the mid-seventies. Maybe Wendell Harrison?

Not sure you've heard of these guys, but I could be wrong. What do you think of it?

Track 14 - Sounds an awful lot like Sonny Sharrock to me. This is plum weird. The drummer, and this is a strange comment, sounds like a rock drummer playing in this style (think Ginger Baker). Trying to figure out the beastly tenor and I'm striking out left and right then the double horn thing starts and I'm thinking, Wow, Rahsaan make sense, but I'm just thinking it's not him.

Well, you were right on the drummer! Not a strange comment at all. Any funny that you mentioned Ginger Baker when the bass player turned out to be Jack Bruce! Now you know the answer. I may have played this one for you, I can't remember. But it's a personal favorite. Heckstall-Smith's playing on this is the big draw for me, though I pretty much love anything with Bruce anyway, no matter what it is.

Track 15 - Okay, so I'm typing the last thing listening saying, "Oh come on, who's voice is that." Several ideas pop in then my subconscious punches me in the face and calls me a dumbass. Nice pick. People are going to love the reveal on this one. Transferring it to the iPod now for a beach run. Didn't realize until hearing this how Universal my Jones was for a fix of this guy.

Haha... yeah, I had to throw some Gene in there. Thought this was a nice way to close things out. LOVE this track.

Well played, my friend... well played.

After reading thread:

Whoa! I'm blown away by the ID on #1! #6 I should have had and was even thinking PL. GAH! Feeling pretty good about my read on #14, though.

Thanks for the comments brotha!! I knew you would get a lot of these, and you didn't disappoint. However, rest assured that I will fail miserably at your BFT in a couple of months. :)

BFT112

Well, here we go, for another series of improvised comments without much thought behind them, but in the spirit of the Down Beat BFTs.

1 Something very familiar about this band. And that fabulous tenor player! I feel sure I know him, but maybe I just ought to know him. There’s bits like Fred Jackson in there and bits like Jimmy Forrest, too, but I don’t think it’s either of them. I’ll have yet another listen.

You now know the answer to this one...revealed in post #2, much to my dismay! Land is one of my favorite tenor players, but this was a surprise even to me when I first heard it. Wish there were more early recordings of him.

2 An interesting Latin bit, with a much more modern tenor player, but another I think I ought to know. He’s got a sound a bit like Benny Golson but a way of playing that’s more Joe Henderson-oriented than Golson usually is. The trumpet player seems more full of chops than melody, however. However much like a 1970s Muse album this sounds, I think it’s a good bit more recent than that. The rhythm section is alarmingly ingenious; bells of some kind and, later, brilliant use of cowbell, and all the time right there on the nose, but changing all the time. The more you listen to this, the more it’s the drummer’s record. I’d like to say it’s a bit of Cecil Brooks III that I haven’t heard…

3 Well, here’s a trumpet player with all that Hubbard stuff, and another modern Joe Henderson type player. But it doesn’t sound too recent; I think I detected a scratch in the LP so it’s probably before the 90s. And it’s live, so maybe it ain’t a scratch, just extraneous noise. Pianist is a bit quiet or I’d think it was Cedar Walton.

I’ve got a suspicion it’s Gerald Wilson’s band, but the voicing of the saxes isn’t quite his thing.

Correct on Gerald Wilson! And you now know that 2 and 3 also feature Land, from different eras, thanks to Thom's post above. Interesting take on #2, as it is in fact the drummer's tune, but not his record. And it does date from the 70s.

4 Is this Steve Lacy? Never heard him before but this sounds like how he ought to play, from what I’ve read. Another damn good rhythm section. Actually, this is pretty nice stuff; if it’s Lacy, well, I’ve been missing something. If it’s someone else, well, I’ve been missing something.

Not Lacy, but I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed it. This one could be a nice surprise.

5 Can’t say I really like this one, though it’s kind of interesting; but a bit too aggressively modern for my taste.

Fair enough, different strokes for different folks... :)

6 See, I didn’t get the head; what was the point of that head, then off into a nice bootin’ rhythm that seems to have nothing to do with the head? I mean, sounds like a good ol’ blues to me and so little wrong with that, that I don’t see why they tried to disguise it. OK, I’ve listened to it again and I get the head – at least the first part of the head, still not the second; still too clever by half.

If you're talking about how different the bridge is from the A sections, I do get your point. I like how it works, myself, but it is a pretty abrupt change.

7 Here’s another bunch of pretty modern jazz musicians making interesting music but it’s not CAPTURING me.

I will only say that at least one of them is not as "modern" as you might think.

8 Unusual combination, alto & trombone. Somewhat arresting. The trombone’s sound is kind of bland like Curtis Fuller or J J Johnson, whereas the alto’s nothing of the kind.

Soprano on this one actually. I thought the soprano solo was the standout here but nobody else seems to think so. :)

Damn fine rhythm sections you’re picking, Tim.

Thank you sir!

9 Piano trio, for a change. It’s NOT Gene Harris :D Not easy to identify a pianist by the sound; sounds like someone playing the piano…

Actually, it IS Gene Harris!! Haha... kidding. ;)

10 Oh, I’m really right into this from the first few seconds. This is really music to capture you (well, me, I mean). Doesn’t matter who’s playing; it’s the music, the singing, the song. Fuckin’ ‘ell this is beautiful! Thank you for this music.

Glad you enjoyed this one so much, and now of course you know who it is. Ari Brown is truly a talent deserving wider recognition.

11 This made me think of some of those fifties Jimmy Giuffre pieces I heard decades ago and have almost, but not quite exactly, remembered.

Interesting, I never thought of Giuffre when listening to this, but yeah, you could definitely make an argument for that. Compositionally I think this is a really interesting piece.

12 Yeah, I thought that was an organ playing those chords behind the flute in the head. Another great rhythm section. I think this is some fifties Verve recording – perhaps it’s even Herbie Mann with a pianist who didn’t usually play organ. Good, too.

You are correct that it is a pianist who didn't usually play organ. Are you holding back on the names? I can't tell, but it sounds like you actually know who some of the players are but don't want to give it away...?

13 ‘The beauty of simplicity’ – something familiar about the soprano player, but I don’t know. And the rock guitar solo after leaves me cold, I’m afraid. Not really for real, seems to me.

Hmmm...no guitar on this one so you've confused me there. Sorry to hear it wasn't your bag though.

Bonus 1 Hm… Another rock guitar – this one sounds a bit like Sonny Sharrock, though, so there’s somewhat more interest for me. Well, this is some modern hard boppers I don’t know but, when I’m in the mood for it, this is often just right for me. Is this someone playing two horns at once who isn’t either Braith or Rahsaan? Well, it ain’t any Braith I know, but the voicing of those horns is more like Braith than Rahsaan. But the sound of them isn’t like Braith. Confess – dunno.

You know this one now. I'm surprised that 2 people thought it was Sonny Sharrock! This was definitely meant to be tricky in the sense that I didn't think anyone would guess Jack Bruce's involvement, but apart from that I put it here because it's simply a personal favorite.

Bonus 2 Someone takin’ care of business. So what business. Well, related to ‘So what’. Seventies stuff. Is this someone like Joe Lee Wilson? Well, could be…

And speaking of favorites...Eugene McDaniels is a big one for me. Thom ID'd this correctly above.

Well, some fine stuff there, Tim. Damn, sure I’ll get #1 after a few more listens.

MG

Thanks for the participation and the thoughtful comments! Glad you found some things to enjoy here.

Edited by webbcity

All right!!! This is a great Blindfold Test.

This Blindfold Test is often right in one of my favorite listening zones, on the border of post bop and avant garde, with a lot of John Coltrane influence in the saxophone soloing. I love it!

1. This sounds like a 1945-50 band, combining the R&B of that period with some bop influence. Johnny Otis recorded music with a similar blend in that period, but I don't think it is Otis. I don't know who it is, but this is a fantastic opener! I will get this album after I learn who it is.

2. This is from Harold Land's "Damisi" album, from the early 1970s. I bought this album at a music sale held by the family of a jazz lover who passed away, and then I included the song "Pakistan" from this album on one of my Blindfold Tests from two or three years ago. That is Oscar Brashear on trumpet and Land on tenor saxophone.

3. This sounds like a 1970s big band. I don't know who it is, but they are really good. I am really enjoying this. The tenor saxophone soloist shows a John Coltrane influence, which I think is great.

4. This one really has me stumped. I love it, and I think I can almost identify it, but then I can't.

The piano sounds just like McCoy Tyner on Impulse to me, down to the unique sound of the piano he played on the Impulse recordings. If the pianist is not McCoy Tyner, it is someone who slept with his records, they were so obsessed with him.

The saxophone player is not John Coltrane, he has a different sound, but it is someone who knows Coltrane's music really well.

The composition almost sounds Irish to me--it's appealing and I feel that I should know it, but I don't.

The drummer has me really stumped. He is playing with some of Elvin Jones' signature devices, but it does not sound like Elvin to me, more like someone who has studied Elvin closely but does not play exactly like him. But then toward the end I hear some drumming that sounds exactly like Tony Williams with McCoy Tyner on 1970s Milestone albums like "Super Trios" and "Passion Dance". But all of that can't be right. I am probably way, way off.

I can't wait to find out who this is. I have to get this album as I love this song.

5. This sounds to me like the musicians who played on the India Navigation label in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Is that Hamiet Bluiett on baritone saxophone? Whoever it is, he is a great player. I am not sure he sounds exactly like Hamiet, but he is exploring some of the same territory that Hamiet plays in.

I love the bluesy, menancing feeling of the head. Today's highly technically accomplished musicians don't do enough of that kind of thing, in my opinion.

6. This is Prince Lasha and Sonny Simmons, from "The Cry". I have this album. It seems to me that this music would not have been possible without Ornette Coleman, yet within not many years of Ornette's breakthrough these musicians were going their own way with the music.

7. This has a 1960s Blue Note sound to me, that kind of great groove. Outstanding, energetic soloists! The trumpet solo is wonderful. I am not sure that it is Bobby Hutcherson on vibes, although it sounds like his era. This is great. Another one I have to get.

8. This one sounds more recent. The sound is a little nervous, does not hit so much of a groove as #7 for example. I really like the intense soprano sax soloist--a very urgent player. The pianist is both melodic and percussive--I don't recognize the pianist.

9. This is "Monk-ish" piano but is not Monk. It reminds me of a more recent virtuoso player like Eldar. The bass player sounds familiar--I feel that I should be able to identify the bass player but I can't.

10. This is gorgeous. I love both the saxophone player and the pianist. It reminds me somewhat of John Coltrane's "Welcome", in terms of the beauty and sound. I have no idea who it is, but another one I must get.

11. I really don't know who this flute player is. I like this but have no idea.

12. This sounds like an older recording, from the 1956-1964 era perhaps.

The flute player is very good, but it sounds like a sax player who doubles on flute. The flute player is a blues/bop player, not a flute virtuoso, in the way that Herbie Mann was.

The bass player has a very appealing "vocal" style in his solo. Charles Mingus had that "vocal" style, but I don't think it is Mingus. Whoever it is, I like the solo very much.

The organ sound is an older, natural, kind of unusual sound. I have no idea who played that way.

I like this song a lot. Yet another one I have to get!

13. This is Kelly Shepherd, on his album, "The Beauty of Simplicity".

Bonus Tracks:

1. The guitarist is definitely John McLaughlin, from the pre-Mahavishnu period, probably 1969-71. The unique distortion reminds me of his playing on Miles Davis' "Big Fun" album. His guitar sound, apart from the distortion, reminds me of his sound on Carla Bley's "Escalator Over The Hill".

I do not know of anything McLaughlin recorded in the 1969-71 period with such an accomplished saxophone soloist. I thought I knew my music from this era pretty well, but I do not know this one.

2. I have no idea whatever who this is! It sounds very early 1970s.

Edited by Hot Ptah

This Blindfold Test is often right in one of my favorite listening zones, on the border of post bop and avant garde, with a lot of John Coltrane influence in the saxophone soloing. I love it!

Yep, one of my favorite areas too (clearly)...glad to find a kindred spirit!

1. This sounds like a 1945-50 band, combining the R&B of that period with some bop influence. Johnny Otis recorded music with a similar blend in that period, but I don't think it is Otis. I don't know who it is, but this is a fantastic opener! I will get this album after I learn who it is.

This one has been ID'd and I think it will surprise you. But now I need to look up Johnny Otis, because I love this kind of thing but don't have enough of it in my collection.

2. This is from Harold Land's "Damisi" album, from the early 1970s. I bought this album at a music sale held by the family of a jazz lover who passed away, and then I included the song "Pakistan" from this album on one of my Blindfold Tests from two or three years ago. That is Oscar Brashear on trumpet and Land on tenor saxophone.

Bingo! "Pakistan" is another nice one. I almost picked a track from another Mainstream album Choma (Burn) (my favorite Land record) but that one seems to have gathered a cult following online so I thought it might be too obvious.

3. This sounds like a 1970s big band. I don't know who it is, but they are really good. I am really enjoying this. The tenor saxophone soloist shows a John Coltrane influence, which I think is great.

Yep...Land once again, as ID'd above, this time with Gerald Wilson's band. I love this track. Land is the composer on this one also.

4. This one really has me stumped. I love it, and I think I can almost identify it, but then I can't.

The piano sounds just like McCoy Tyner on Impulse to me, down to the unique sound of the piano he played on the Impulse recordings. If the pianist is not McCoy Tyner, it is someone who slept with his records, they were so obsessed with him.

The saxophone player is not John Coltrane, he has a different sound, but it is someone who knows Coltrane's music really well.

The composition almost sounds Irish to me--it's appealing and I feel that I should know it, but I don't.

The drummer has me really stumped. He is playing with some of Elvin Jones' signature devices, but it does not sound like Elvin to me, more like someone who has studied Elvin closely but does not play exactly like him. But then toward the end I hear some drumming that sounds exactly like Tony Williams with McCoy Tyner on 1970s Milestone albums like "Super Trios" and "Passion Dance". But all of that can't be right. I am probably way, way off.

I can't wait to find out who this is. I have to get this album as I love this song.

I'm really glad to see the love for this tune...I think this will be a nice surprise. The album this is from is one of my absolute favorites, but I don't think many people at all know about it. There is actually another recording of this song by a well-known group...I thought it would be more recognizable but a part of me is fiendishly glad that this one hasn't been guessed yet. :)

5. This sounds to me like the musicians who played on the India Navigation label in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Is that Hamiet Bluiett on baritone saxophone? Whoever it is, he is a great player. I am not sure he sounds exactly like Hamiet, but he is exploring some of the same territory that Hamiet plays in.

I love the bluesy, menancing feeling of the head. Today's highly technically accomplished musicians don't do enough of that kind of thing, in my opinion.

You are absolutely in the right neighborhood. This one has been ID'd above by Prof. Keith.

6. This is Prince Lasha and Sonny Simmons, from "The Cry". I have this album. It seems to me that this music would not have been possible without Ornette Coleman, yet within not many years of Ornette's breakthrough these musicians were going their own way with the music.

Bingo again! Yes, the Ornette influence is very clear here. Pulling this one out again has also reminded me that I need to pull out a couple other Lasha/Simmons albums that I have. Great stuff.

7. This has a 1960s Blue Note sound to me, that kind of great groove. Outstanding, energetic soloists! The trumpet solo is wonderful. I am not sure that it is Bobby Hutcherson on vibes, although it sounds like his era. This is great. Another one I have to get.

This was the first album I bought from this particular artist, merely because I came across it and felt like giving it a try. But it turned out it is not one of his better known albums. There is definitely a big 1960s Blue Note feel to this one, which is what I expected folks to hear. But it's not necessarily that. :)

8. This one sounds more recent. The sound is a little nervous, does not hit so much of a groove as #7 for example. I really like the intense soprano sax soloist--a very urgent player. The pianist is both melodic and percussive--I don't recognize the pianist.

Yeah, the soprano solo is a big standout for me here too. I also love the piano player, and he is a relatively recent discovery for me. Also, a small hint-- it is the piano player's record.

9. This is "Monk-ish" piano but is not Monk. It reminds me of a more recent virtuoso player like Eldar. The bass player sounds familiar--I feel that I should be able to identify the bass player but I can't.

Yes, huge Monk influence here. Not Eldar. I'm sure that the bass player is someone you know.

10. This is gorgeous. I love both the saxophone player and the pianist. It reminds me somewhat of John Coltrane's "Welcome", in terms of the beauty and sound. I have no idea who it is, but another one I must get.

This has been ID'd and discussed above. Definitely a player worth checking out if you haven't yet!

Still afraid to give too many hints at this point...I am anxious to see if anyone gets this. I am a big fan of this flute player.

The flute player is very good, but it sounds like a sax player who doubles on flute. The flute player is a blues/bop player, not a flute virtuoso, in the way that Herbie Mann was.

The bass player has a very appealing "vocal" style in his solo. Charles Mingus had that "vocal" style, but I don't think it is Mingus. Whoever it is, I like the solo very much.

The organ sound is an older, natural, kind of unusual sound. I have no idea who played that way.

There is kind of a trick to this one, but I still expect someone will get it. The bass player here has been a huge influence on me from the beginning. He is a very well-known name, as might be some of the others, but I fear I've already said too much.

Yes indeed! You know this one? I heard it on the radio one night and fell in love with it.

Bonus Tracks:

1. The guitarist is definitely John McLaughlin, from the pre-Mahavishnu period, probably 1969-71. The unique distortion reminds me of his playing on Miles Davis' "Big Fun" album. His guitar sound, apart from the distortion, reminds me of his sound on Carla Bley's "Escalator Over The Hill".

I do not know of anything McLaughlin recorded in the 1969-71 period with such an accomplished saxophone soloist. I thought I knew my music from this era pretty well, but I do not know this one.

Yes-- you're the first to ID McLaughlin correctly! I felt like that would be the giveaway here. And you got the time period right too. I don't know if you've looked at the ID yet...this could be another surprise. The bass player here is, again, a huge influence for me.

This has been ID'd above. A favorite singer of mine who is possibly known more as a writer than as a performer, and who happened to live in the same town as me up until his death 2 years ago.

Thanks for your comments! Glad you enjoyed the music!

I was a big big fan of Colosseum, where Hiseman and Heckstall-Smith did their best work. Also liked the era of Mayall they were involved with.

Meant to comment on this earlier... Colosseum I should check out a bit more. I used to have a compilation of theirs on cassette that was great. I need to keep my eye out for some more stuff. Do you have a favorite album of theirs? I thought their version of "Rope Ladder to the Moon" rivaled Bruce's original. And I remember there were some other tracks I really liked..."Elegy" and "Jumping Off The Sun" were a couple.

Didn't know about the Mayall connection so I'll have to look out for that too!

Yep, one of my favorite areas too (clearly)...glad to find a kindred spirit!

This one has been ID'd and I think it will surprise you. But now I need to look up Johnny Otis, because I love this kind of thing but don't have enough of it in my collection.

This would be a good place to start, the Johnny Otis Complete Savoy Sessions:

75679285928_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg

Bingo! "Pakistan" is another nice one. I almost picked a track from another Mainstream album Choma (Burn) (my favorite Land record) but that one seems to have gathered a cult following online so I thought it might be too obvious.

Yep...Land once again, as ID'd above, this time with Gerald Wilson's band. I love this track. Land is the composer on this one also.

I'm really glad to see the love for this tune...I think this will be a nice surprise. The album this is from is one of my absolute favorites, but I don't think many people at all know about it. There is actually another recording of this song by a well-known group...I thought it would be more recognizable but a part of me is fiendishly glad that this one hasn't been guessed yet. :)

You are absolutely in the right neighborhood. This one has been ID'd above by Prof. Keith.

I see. It's Henry Threadgill on baritone! I have several early Chico Freeman albums but not this one. Now I need to get this one!

Bingo again! Yes, the Ornette influence is very clear here. Pulling this one out again has also reminded me that I need to pull out a couple other Lasha/Simmons albums that I have. Great stuff.

This was the first album I bought from this particular artist, merely because I came across it and felt like giving it a try. But it turned out it is not one of his better known albums. There is definitely a big 1960s Blue Note feel to this one, which is what I expected folks to hear. But it's not necessarily that. :)

Yeah, the soprano solo is a big standout for me here too. I also love the piano player, and he is a relatively recent discovery for me. Also, a small hint-- it is the piano player's record.

Yes, huge Monk influence here. Not Eldar. I'm sure that the bass player is someone you know.

This has been ID'd and discussed above. Definitely a player worth checking out if you haven't yet!

I have certainly read about Ari Brown, and think I have some albums on which he plays--but I never heard him play like this. It's a revelation.

Still afraid to give too many hints at this point...I am anxious to see if anyone gets this. I am a big fan of this flute player.

There is kind of a trick to this one, but I still expect someone will get it. The bass player here has been a huge influence on me from the beginning. He is a very well-known name, as might be some of the others, but I fear I've already said too much.

You have not said too much for me. I am still totally stumped.

Yes indeed! You know this one? I heard it on the radio one night and fell in love with it.

Bonus Tracks:

Yes-- you're the first to ID McLaughlin correctly! I felt like that would be the giveaway here. And you got the time period right too. I don't know if you've looked at the ID yet...this could be another surprise. The bass player here is, again, a huge influence for me.

I listened to Cream a lot before I first got into jazz. I also like Jack's collaboration with John McLaughlin on "Rawalpindi Blues" on Carla Bley's "Escalator Over The Hill." I have some of the John Mayall albums with Hiseman and Heckstall-Smith. Still, I could not identify this.

I have seen this Jack Bruce album in record stores but never bought it, and have never heard any of it before. I vaguely recall reading a lukewarm review of it when it came out, which would have steered me away from spending my somewhat scarce funds on it back then. It could be that the reviewer had no point of reference for listening to this type of jazz.

This has been ID'd above. A favorite singer of mine who is possibly known more as a writer than as a performer, and who happened to live in the same town as me up until his death 2 years ago.

Thanks for your comments! Glad you enjoyed the music!

My new comments are in green, above.

Edited by Hot Ptah

Meant to comment on this earlier... Colosseum I should check out a bit more. I used to have a compilation of theirs on cassette that was great. I need to keep my eye out for some more stuff. Do you have a favorite album of theirs? I thought their version of "Rope Ladder to the Moon" rivaled Bruce's original. And I remember there were some other tracks I really liked..."Elegy" and "Jumping Off The Sun" were a couple.

Didn't know about the Mayall connection so I'll have to look out for that too!

The Mayall albums are 'Bare Wires' and 'Diary of a Band' (a 2 album set), both from 1968, both inexpensive, both well worth picking up. On Colosseum, I preferred them with Dave Greenslade as the vocalist rather than the later Chris Farlowe vocal stuff. The expanded 'Valentyne Suite' CD is the place to start, and it has both the songs you mentioned. That was their second album. From there, go backwards to 'Those Who Are About To Die Salute You', their debut, then forward to the two Farlowe albums, 'Daughter of Time' and 'Live'. The 1994 reunion concert is also surprisingly good. Dave Clempson is jaw-dropping on guitar on that one. It is cheaper and more effective on DVD than CD.

I apologize for my tardy response. It is not a reflection of the quality of compilation because I am finding most of the music to be excellently within my own listening preferences. Here are my responses to the first eight tracks.

1. I have not spent much time investigating music like this. It sounds like something I should know. Nice feature for the tenor with punctuations from the band, although I have no idea who is playing.

2. From the outset I like the groove of this track. The sound of the bass and the electric piano seems to date the recording a bit. Familiar sounding tenor, but nothing I could commit to identifying. The trumpeter made me think of Freddie Hubbard or someone from that lineage. Again, familiar. Bass could be Ron Carter. I enjoyed the track – especially the tenor.

3. Another impressive tenor solo. I suspect it is a musician I am familiar with. The track itself is a solid performance, but not something I would likely feel compelled to investigate further.

4. This soprano sax workout certainly has the feel of the Coltrane quartet – down to the comping by the piano, which is reminiscent of Tyner. Now that I hear the piano solo I am wondering if it is indeed the Coltrane quartet. In any event, an intense performance.

5. This has that feeling of suspense/tension that I tend to gravitate toward in my listening; while at the same time have a nice groove. Effective solos by all. Good performance.

6. This one does not feel as “heavy” as the previous track, but that can simply be a function of the instrumentation. Nice work by the drums. Loving the flute and somewhat edgy alto. I am sure the alto is someone that I am familiar with, but I am not willing to go out on a limb and commit to any attempted identification. Nice groove with great solos! Oh wait, there are two basses? This is my kind of thing.

7. This I know and own. Come on man. I live three minutes from the Jackie McLean Institute of Jazz and Mr. McLean’s influence is still pervasive in my area. But even before I lived in this McLean was already one of my heroes whose music I obsessively collected for completeness. I will assume this has already been identified by someone else, but let me just say it is a favorite of mine!

8. The soprano did not wow me, but I am enjoying the trombone. I am not having as strong a response to this track as the four preceding selections. Nonetheless it is a solid performance.

Will post regarding the remaining tracks as soon as I can.

Edited by relyles