BFT 112 Discussion

webbcity

I got to a point this afternoon at work where I needed a break from what I was working on, but did not want to start something new. So I decided to finish up this BFT. I really enjoyed this BFT as a whole. Thanks for your effort and time.

8. The soprano did not wow me, but I am enjoying the trombone. I am not having as strong a response to this track as the four preceding selections. Nonetheless it is a solid performance.

9. Piano-bass duet that I am pretty certain that I have heard before, even though I can not identify it. Fantastic performance! It made me think of the Muhal Richard Abrams-Malachi Favors duo recording. No, that is ridiculous. Great bass solo! Who is this? It is driving me crazy because I know I have heard it before and it is probably in my collection. If it isn’t it will be.

10. Tenor-piano duet. Moving performance that resonated with me in its soulful simplicity. Sounds like a mature saxophonist. Wish I knew who is playing.

11. Sounds a bit like Nicole Mitchell’s Black Earth Ensemble – at least the instrumentation seems to fit. Sounds like it could be Boykin on the saxophone. I am a big fan. This is very interesting. If it is not Mitchell, I could listen to more of this.

12. This one sounds like we came in on the middle of the performance. Strong bass solo and the flute has a nice sound. However, I have never warmed to the certain approach to the organ on this one. Some nice parts, but on the whole this track is not really grabbing my attention.

13. I have a limited appreciation of vocals within a “jazz” context. This is not something that I actively dislike, but I can’t say I affirmatively like it either. Kind of thing I would not mind as background music while I am focused on something else. No idea who it is.

Bonus Track 1. I usually prefer clean toned guitarists, but this slightly gritty sound has some appeal. Where did the saxophone come from? As this goes on I am enjoying it more. Yes to this.

Bonus Track 2. I like this vocal track somewhat more than the other track. I think I like the backing band the most, but to be frank this vocalist is not doing a whole heck of a lot for me either.

Edited by relyles

Not sure, but I'll gladly offer my 2¢. Venus is an exceptional album. Ultimate Frontier is very good, but just a shade below Venus. Live at the Green Mill is OUTSTANDING!!! His work with Kahil El'Zabar's Ritual Trio is all excellent (and you'll hear a lot of similarity between his piano work there and some of his own compositions, particularly the title track on Venus). He's one of those guys who, once you know him, you'll spot him instantly (think Tyrone Washington).

I second the recommendations on Ari Brown. I am embarrased to say I own both Venus and Ultimate Frontier and have heard quite a bit of him with El'Zabar, but still did not recognize him here. I really need to spend more time with the recordings already in my collection and less on adding more titles to it.

I apologize for my tardy response. It is not a reflection of the quality of compilation because I am finding most of the music to be excellently within my own listening preferences. Here are my responses to the first eight tracks.

1. I have not spent much time investigating music like this. It sounds like something I should know. Nice feature for the tenor with punctuations from the band, although I have no idea who is playing.

2. From the outset I like the groove of this track. The sound of the bass and the electric piano seems to date the recording a bit. Familiar sounding tenor, but nothing I could commit to identifying. The trumpeter made me think of Freddie Hubbard or someone from that lineage. Again, familiar. Bass could be Ron Carter. I enjoyed the track – especially the tenor.

3. Another impressive tenor solo. I suspect it is a musician I am familiar with. The track itself is a solid performance, but not something I would likely feel compelled to investigate further.

You now know the answers for 1-3, which were intended to be a little set featuring one of my favorite tenor players, Harold Land. I am still surprised that #1 was discovered so early on! I was hoping for a little more bang for my buck with that one. :) But I'm sure you are very familiar with Land...aren't you a fan of the Hutcherson/Land groups? I didn't put any of the Hutcherson stuff on here because I figured he'd be a dead giveaway.

4. This soprano sax workout certainly has the feel of the Coltrane quartet – down to the comping by the piano, which is reminiscent of Tyner. Now that I hear the piano solo I am wondering if it is indeed the Coltrane quartet. In any event, an intense performance.

I am really looking forward to revealing this one. As I think I mentioned earlier this is from a relatively recent release and it is a personal favorite, though not very well known. The saxophonist is certainly influenced by Coltrane. Honestly I'm not sure of the piano player's influences but I do hear where everyone's coming from on the Tyner thing.

5. This has that feeling of suspense/tension that I tend to gravitate toward in my listening; while at the same time have a nice groove. Effective solos by all. Good performance.

This one has been ID'd above. Another favorite...I can't get enough of this tune.

6. This one does not feel as “heavy” as the previous track, but that can simply be a function of the instrumentation. Nice work by the drums. Loving the flute and somewhat edgy alto. I am sure the alto is someone that I am familiar with, but I am not willing to go out on a limb and commit to any attempted identification. Nice groove with great solos! Oh wait, there are two basses? This is my kind of thing.

This one has been ID'd as well.

7. This I know and own. Come on man. I live three minutes from the Jackie McLean Institute of Jazz and Mr. McLean’s influence is still pervasive in my area. But even before I lived in this McLean was already one of my heroes whose music I obsessively collected for completeness. I will assume this has already been identified by someone else, but let me just say it is a favorite of mine!

Aha! I have been waiting for someone to grab this one! I figured McLean was a pretty easy catch, but somehow he had slipped by until now. Yes! And you correctly ID'd the album in your other post above. I expected folks to guess McLean but have more trouble with the specific recording as it's not a terrible well-known one. Believe it or not I think this was actually the first McLean album I owned, so it has a special place for me.

8. The soprano did not wow me, but I am enjoying the trombone. I am not having as strong a response to this track as the four preceding selections. Nonetheless it is a solid performance.

Interesting that many people are having the exact opposite reaction to this track that I had...I am a huge fan of the soprano solo, not so much of the trombone solo. Will have to go back and listen again to the trombone myself!

Will post regarding the remaining tracks as soon as I can.

I got to a point this afternoon at work where I needed a break from what I was working on, but did not want to start something new. So I decided to finish up this BFT. I really enjoyed this BFT as a whole. Thanks for your effort and time.

9. Piano-bass duet that I am pretty certain that I have heard before, even though I can not identify it. Fantastic performance! It made me think of the Muhal Richard Abrams-Malachi Favors duo recording. No, that is ridiculous. Great bass solo! Who is this? It is driving me crazy because I know I have heard it before and it is probably in my collection. If it isn’t it will be.

Ding ding ding! Abrams and Favors is correct. An album that took me far too long to discover...got it about a year ago and have played it many times since. The whole album is fantastic but this particular piece always does it for me. The melody is very off-kilter in a good way, and very Monk-ish as others have mentioned.

10. Tenor-piano duet. Moving performance that resonated with me in its soulful simplicity. Sounds like a mature saxophonist. Wish I knew who is playing.

Re: your other comment above... "I really need to spend more time with the recordings already in my collection and less on adding more titles to it."... that really resonated with me. To be honest it feels a little unfair of me to be giving a blindfold test when I'm sure someone could play me a bunch of things from my own collection and I wouldn't get them. :(

11. Sounds a bit like Nicole Mitchell’s Black Earth Ensemble – at least the instrumentation seems to fit. Sounds like it could be Boykin on the saxophone. I am a big fan. This is very interesting. If it is not Mitchell, I could listen to more of this.

Correct again! Mitchell has been putting out some incredible stuff for Delmark over the last several years. This is from one of those releases. She is an artist that I am still dying to hear perform live at some point. I've been out to Chicago a number of times but always miss her. And now that she's based on the west coast that might be even harder. But I too am a fan.

12. This one sounds like we came in on the middle of the performance. Strong bass solo and the flute has a nice sound. However, I have never warmed to the certain approach to the organ on this one. Some nice parts, but on the whole this track is not really grabbing my attention.

The one thing that has surprised me on this track is that nobody has yet identified the bass player. Of course I say that as a bass player myself, so maybe that's unfair... :)

13. I have a limited appreciation of vocals within a “jazz” context. This is not something that I actively dislike, but I can’t say I affirmatively like it either. Kind of thing I would not mind as background music while I am focused on something else. No idea who it is.

This one has been ID'd above. Heard it on Boston Public Radio one night after a gig and it really clicked for me.

Bonus Track 1. I usually prefer clean toned guitarists, but this slightly gritty sound has some appeal. Where did the saxophone come from? As this goes on I am enjoying it more. Yes to this.

This one has been ID'd also...surprise surprise!...maybe?

Bonus Track 2. I like this vocal track somewhat more than the other track. I think I like the backing band the most, but to be frank this vocalist is not doing a whole heck of a lot for me either.

This one has been ID'd...a favorite vocalist of mine. There are some interesting guest artists in the band too but it is actually a bit unclear from the record who is on this particular track. More on this in the reveal...

Thanks a lot for your great comments! I'm glad you found some things to enjoy here. You've also identified a few more of the tunes which I think only leaves us with...what, I think three unidentified tracks? Hopefully something will be left for the reveal. :)

Tim, I do not know how far it is for you, but Mitchell will be performing with a group led by Harris Eisenstadt with Sara Schoenbeck and Mark Dresser on September 14th in Goshen, MA. It is not her own group, but this looks like an interesting ensemble to me.

webbcity,

I have had the opportunity to listen to your BFT quite a few times. Good job. What I haven't seemed to find time to do is put together any coherent comments. The good thing there is your music is much better than my thoughts anyway.

I don't have a very big music collection and I don't have anything along the lines of Track 01. I can't dance, absolutely no rhythm but this makes me want to tap my toes. Great upbeat start.

To my tin ear Track 04 has a folk tune feel from maybe one of the UK areas. It reminds me of a couple of John Surman ECM things I haven't listened to for awhile. Nice piano.

I normally am not a big fan of the flute. The flute on Track 06, however, does work for me. The sax, too. I like the two bass deal. Neat little tune.

Track 09, now there is a piano player. Terrific bass solo. Definitely my favorite track.

There are a number of other interesting tracks but I really don't have any good comments.

Thanks for your effort.

Tim, I do not know how far it is for you, but Mitchell will be performing with a group led by Harris Eisenstadt with Sara Schoenbeck and Mark Dresser on September 14th in Goshen, MA. It is not her own group, but this looks like an interesting ensemble to me.

That sounds good but it is about 3 hours from me so I'm not sure I'll be able to make it for that.

But as long as we are on the topic of traveling for shows, I am reminded that a certain Thom Keith and myself once made the trip down to your fair city for a show by none other than Cecil Taylor, Henry Grimes, and Pheeroan Aklaff. I think this was at least 5 years ago. Where you there by any chance?

webbcity,

I have had the opportunity to listen to your BFT quite a few times. Good job. What I haven't seemed to find time to do is put together any coherent comments. The good thing there is your music is much better than my thoughts anyway.

I don't have a very big music collection and I don't have anything along the lines of Track 01. I can't dance, absolutely no rhythm but this makes me want to tap my toes. Great upbeat start.

To my tin ear Track 04 has a folk tune feel from maybe one of the UK areas. It reminds me of a couple of John Surman ECM things I haven't listened to for awhile. Nice piano.

I normally am not a big fan of the flute. The flute on Track 06, however, does work for me. The sax, too. I like the two bass deal. Neat little tune.

Track 09, now there is a piano player. Terrific bass solo. Definitely my favorite track.

There are a number of other interesting tracks but I really don't have any good comments.

Thanks for your effort.

Thanks for your comments, I'm glad you found some things to enjoy here. So given your comments about the flute, I'm curious what you thought of tracks 11 and 12?

The same was true for me on track 1 in that I didn't own a lot of things in that particular style...I sought it out because I was trying get my hands on as many Harold Land recordings as possible and ended up being absolutely blown away by it.

I am really getting excited to reveal track 4 soon. :)

I am not looking at other guesses, but I've listened to this BFT 4 times and don't know squat. :(

Well how do you feel about the squat?

I like the selections. Right now, I am listening for the fourth time.

I'm definitely interested in your impressions just as much as or more than guesses...I am not a terrific blindfold test guesser myself. Am trying to practice more though. :)

Edited by webbcity

That sounds good but it is about 3 hours from me so I'm not sure I'll be able to make it for that.

But as long as we are on the topic of traveling for shows, I am reminded that a certain Thom Keith and myself once made the trip down to your fair city for a show by none other than Cecil Taylor, Henry Grimes, and Pheeroan Aklaff. I think this was at least 5 years ago. Where you there by any chance?

Was that the show at the Artists Collective? No, I missed that one. Although I am not a huge fan of the sound in that venue, I do try to support most of the jazz events they present. It is a very important cultural location in that community. I can't remember why I did not go, but I do regret missing it. Especially since it is five minutes from my home..

Edited by relyles

Was that the show at the Artists Collective? No, I missed that one. Although I am not a huge fan of the sound in that venue, I do try to support most of the jazz events they present. It is a very important cultural location in that community. I can't remember why I did not go, but I do regret missing it. Especially since it is five minutes from my home..

Yes, that was it! I couldn't remember the name of the venue. I agree that the sound is not great there, I do remember that specifically. Musically it was a great night but it was in fact hard to hear everything very clearly. Lots of echo, as I recall...very "live" room.

webbcity,

Thanks for your effort.

Thanks for your comments, I'm glad you found some things to enjoy here. So given your comments about the flute, I'm curious what you thought of tracks 11 and 12?

The same was true for me on track 1 in that I didn't own a lot of things in that particular style...I sought it out because I was trying get my hands on as many Harold Land recordings as possible and ended up being absolutely blown away by it.

I would say I enjoyed track 11 overall more than 12. Neither one makes me was to stick a pencil in my ear or anything. That is an awfully good bass solo on track 12.

Actually, I mean't to comment that there was some pretty good bass playing throughout the BFT. I guess your avatar should have been a clue why that is. I am a little slow sometimes.

I am not looking at other guesses, but I've listened to this BFT 4 times and don't know squat. :(

Well how do you feel about the squat?

I like the selections. Right now, I am listening for the fourth time.

I'm definitely interested in your impressions just as much as or more than guesses...I am not a terrific blindfold test guesser myself. Am trying to practice more though. :)

I will post my thoughts soon.

webbcity,

Thanks for your effort.

I would say I enjoyed track 11 overall more than 12. Neither one makes me was to stick a pencil in my ear or anything. That is an awfully good bass solo on track 12.

Actually, I mean't to comment that there was some pretty good bass playing throughout the BFT. I guess your avatar should have been a clue why that is. I am a little slow sometimes.

Well, it's interesting you say that because I wasn't actually that focused on bass players for this BFT. Having said that, I think it would have been hard for me to put any weak bassists on here. :)

And the bass player you mention in track 12-- he is actually a very good clue to that particular track.

I haven't read any of the guesses yet.

1. Totally stumped on this one. Could it be Jacquet on tenor?

2. This differently something from the 1970s. Not sure who yet on tenor or trumpet.

3. This is the Gerald Wilson Orchestra. I only know this because I saw the Gerald Wilson Orchestra in 2011 at Dizzy's Club Coca Cola. I bought 2 CDs. This was one of them. "Live and Swinging."

4. The soprano sax player has me stumped. It kind of sounds like Coltrane, or he/she was influence by Trane. O have no idea. Even the piano playing is in the modal style.

5. No guesses on this. I like the bari and tenor sax playing. The composition sounds like something Monk would have wrote.

6. Stumped.

7. No idea on this. Is it Bobby Hutcherson on vibes?

Rest to come.

I haven't read any of the guesses yet.

1. Totally stumped on this one. Could it be Jacquet on tenor?

2. This differently something from the 1970s. Not sure who yet on tenor or trumpet.

3. This is the Gerald Wilson Orchestra. I only know this because I saw the Gerald Wilson Orchestra in 2011 at Dizzy's Club Coca Cola. I bought 2 CDs. This was one of them. "Live and Swinging."

Yes! That's the one. Great album...I have really been enjoying it myself. If you have peeked at any of the answers, you will now know how tracks 1-3 are connected.

4. The soprano sax player has me stumped. It kind of sounds like Coltrane, or he/she was influence by Trane. O have no idea. Even the piano playing is in the modal style.

The Coltrane influence is definitely there. This was recorded at the end of the 1990s. This is one of the few tracks that hasn't been revealed yet.

5. No guesses on this. I like the bari and tenor sax playing. The composition sounds like something Monk would have wrote.

Yep...I love the sound and feel of this one. This has been revealed above.

6. Stumped.

7. No idea on this. Is it Bobby Hutcherson on vibes?

Not Hutcherson...this has been revealed above, though I'm surprised that it took a while to guess the alto player. :)

Rest to come.

Thanks for your comments! Glad you found some things you liked. Most of the tracks have been revealed, but I think at this point there are still 3 unknowns, to be revealed in a couple of days.

Yeah, I love that one too...that tune can turn around a crappy day for me. There is something so infectious about the energy on that, and the other tracks from that session...it's pretty fantastic stuff.

I'll post the full reveal tonight or tomorrow, as soon as I get a chance. Thanks to all for your participation and comments!